Email to Coach Hewitt

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Smurf, I can see both sides (email coach versus AD, or both).

I wonder if Hewitt knows that there is a pretty significant contingent of the fan base that is so dissatisfied with his coaching that they want to seem him go as soon as possible. I wonder if he even realizes that we are not playing at an acceptable level. I always believe in giving a person that you have an issue with the opportunity to correct it on their own before going to their manager. That part of me says talk it over with the coach first. If he doesn't realize the above, maybe it will cause him to reflect, reassess and reapply himself. I doubt it, but there is a chance.

The other part of me says it is hopeless and we need to be contacting the AD in the hopes of sowing the seeds for a change earlier, rather than later.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Smurf, I can see both sides (email coach versus AD, or both).

I wonder if Hewitt knows that there is a pretty significant contingent of the fan base that is so dissatisfied with his coaching that they want to seem him go as soon as possible. I wonder if he even realizes that we are not playing at an acceptable level. I always believe in giving a person that you have an issue with the opportunity to correct it on their own before going to their manager. That part of me says talk it over with the coach first. If he doesn't realize the above, maybe it will cause him to reflect, reassess and reapply himself. I doubt it, but there is a chance.

The other part of me says it is hopeless and we need to be contacting the AD in the hopes of sowing the seeds for a change earlier, rather than later.

I would like to sow the seeds of change with El Presidente.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just sent Hewitt an email message that said, "Ignore all those idiots on Masonhoops.com. And keep up the good work."

He responded, "What is Masonhoops.com? And YOU sound like an idiot. I suck at this job. Never wanted it. But TOC thought I was the right man for the job so he through a five year contract and almost a $1M a year at me. So here I am doing what I always do. LOL."

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if Hewitt knows that there is a pretty significant contingent of the fan base that is so dissatisfied with his coaching that they want to seem him go as soon as possible.

I wouldn't confuse the 25 dissatisfied fans who post here with our overall fanbase. A majority of our season ticket holders really have no vested interest in how well we do other than maybe enjoying the games a little less when we are losing. There may be more a few more no-shows and less walkups, but it's not like people are boycotting the program over the last few years (although I could see it happening if it happens for a few more seasons).

If somebody did start a firepaulhewitt.com website or online petition, I would be shocked if there were more than a few hundred signatures — and even that might be pushing it. I'm not saying it's not warranted, I just think it speaks more toward the overall apathy of our program (which existed even when Coach L was here).

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't confuse the 25 dissatisfied fans who post here with our overall fanbase. A majority of our season ticket holders really have no vested interest in how well we do other than maybe enjoying the games a little less when we are losing. There may be more a few more no-shows and less walkups, but it's not like people are boycotting the program over the last few years (although I could see it happening if it happens for a few more seasons).

If somebody did start a firepaulhewitt.com website or online petition, I would be shocked if there were more than a few hundred signatures — and even that might be pushing it. I'm not saying it's not warranted, I just think it speaks more toward the overall apathy of our program (which existed even when Coach L was here).

I agree with you 100%. And, see the responses from my earlier thread:
http://masonhoops.com/board/threads/what-would-you-do.118/.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

I am not saying it is large numbers, just significant numbers. We have 75% on here. I would say it is roughly the same percentage with the fans I talk to on regular basis, those that I sit around at the games (many have been had season tickets for 20 years or more) or those I see on a regular basis. I was not asking them either, they were bringing the topic up to me. I was the one who was always trying to convince them we needed more time...These are not your apathetic fans.

So, do you think the school should go by what the apathetic fans think since they have not noticed in large numbers yet (though our attendance is down some, so maybe that has already started)? The apathetic fans are the ones that are going to stop coming almost immediately when they realize it is not fun to watch anymore (losses and fewer people there), save for the occasional scout troop or similar kids group.

Or should they be gauging the situation based on what the most interested fans think? The fans that have come through thick and thin, but are already showing signs of disinterest. Several of the fans in my section that missed maybe one home game a year, have now missed about half the games this year. If you lose the support of your most interested and supportive fans, you are in real trouble, the kind of trouble that is much harder to recover from than regaining some apathetic fans.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Or should they be gauging the situation based on what the most interested fans think? The fans that have come through thick and thin, but are already showing signs of disinterest. Several of the fans in my section that missed maybe one home game a year, have now missed about half the games this year. If you lose the support of your most interested and supportive fans, you are in real trouble, the kind of trouble that is much harder to recover from than regaining some apathetic fans.

Indeed.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian, you and are in agreement that there is some discontent and apathy. I just don't think it's nearly enough to make a difference with the AD or president. You sit with all of the heavy hitters, so you could definitely do some damage collectively if you stopped donating. Not showing up to games does little, though, since the seats are already paid.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Brian, you and are in agreement that there is some discontent and apathy. I just don't think it's nearly enough to make a difference with the AD or president. You sit with all of the heavy hitters, so you could definitely do some damage collectively if you stopped donating. Not showing up to games does little, though, since the seats are already paid.

That would imply that our AD/President would even care to listen to fans opinions anyway.

Also, I think you are missing the point. It goes from hardly missing one game, to missing half the season to next time not buying the tickets.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not showing up to games does little, though, since the seats are already paid.
What do you think likely happens after a season ticket holder stops using their seats for most of a season? I hope the school has a little more foresight than you are implying.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That would imply that our AD/President would even care to listen to fans opinions anyway.
The former president and current AD listened on the mascot issue when it became clear that the serious fans wanted a change. That gives me some hope...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Also, I think you are missing the point. It goes from hardly missing one game, to missing half the season to next time not buying the tickets.

I didn't miss the point at all. When people stop buying season tickets and donating, it might register with the administration. People skipping games in a down year is hardly going to cause the AD to fire the coach. Heck, our attendance dropped significantly two years after our Final 4 year after we barely went .500 they year prior.

Again, we all agree there is some apathy. I just question how many people really care and, more importantly, does it even matter to the people in charge over there.