Email to Coach Hewitt

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Coach,

I am a recent alum. I love the basketball team. My simple expectation as a fan is for us to be in the hunt for postseason play. I do not know if we are going to be in the hunt for a postseason tournament this year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...-he-can-win-a-national-title?urn=ncaab-wp5552 - Is this still a realistic goal for the program? What is our concrete plan to become a better basketball program?

I worry that our program is regressing.

10-11 - 27-6 - 8 seed, Gritty win over Villanova in the NCAA tournament
11-12 - 24-9 - nothing
12-13 - 22-16 - CBI Runner Up
13-14 - 7-8 - so far...

I also worry that the vcu Rams are surpassing us in a lot of ways: winning program, new practice facility, an outstanding 2014 recruiting class and national buzz. They would run through a wall for Shaka Smart.

Would our guys do the same for you?

What is the game plan to catch up to vcu, stomp on their throats and get back in the national spotlight?

I will be blunt with you:

Mason Nation needs some hope!

I just want our program to simply get back to where we were in March 2011 let alone the lofty heights of winning a national championship.

I realize you have many responsibilities including recruiting, future schedule planning, watching game tape, coaching and leading the program. Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond if you so choose.

I wish you, your family, and your hardworking assistants a Happy New Year.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
h6B4C4D0B

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Laugh it up Mr. Met....

I don't see the issue with it. I really don't folks.

This is a polite but firm email. I asked some tough questions. We'll see if he responds.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Has anyone ever sent an e-mail to Coach Hewitt and received a response? I sent him a brief e-mail (on an issue that concerned me) and never received a response, so I've stopped doing so.

Whenever I sent e-mails to Coach Larranaga I always received a prompt response. He even responded promptly when I sent him a congratulatory letter when he was hired here.

I have no problem with corresponding with the head coach during the season. But, the correspondence should be concisely written and allow for a brief response.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't really know if you want to compare us to vcu, or any other program, for that matter. Just express concern over where the program is going. If you want to compare us to another program, compare us to UNC or Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. I'd rather have us be like them then like vcu.

Jamason

Walk-On
I don't really know if you want to compare us to vcu, or any other program, for that matter. Just express concern over where the program is going. If you want to compare us to another program, compare us to UNC or Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. I'd rather have us be like them then like vcu.
Agreed. I want nothing to do with their gimmicky thug defense and bad shooting.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I hope he just sends you back this email:

Dear Raider,

Use spell and grammar check next time. Also, I cant hear you....all my money is making too much noise.

Dearly,
Pimp Daddy Hewitt

PS: Also, what did Al Davis say when you sent him a letter about the Raiders?
PPS: My assistants dont really work hard, all the game day coaching is my job. Please dont give them any credit for my hard work.

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't blame a guy for expressing his frustration to the coach. It does not take perfectly written prose to be a basketball fan and supporter of Mason. I, for one, know that writing is not my strong point (I am always trying to improve...), but I would not want that to exclude me from expressing my views on a topic.

I think we should stop abusing our fellow Mason fans so much on here. I believe in good constructive criticism, but am against ridicule. Kind of the way coaching should be done.

Dawgs99

Starter
I don't blame a guy for expressing his frustration to the coach. It does not take perfectly written prose to be a basketball fan and supporter of Mason. I, for one, know that writing is not my strong point (I am always trying to improve...), but I would not want that to exclude me from expressing my views on a topic.

I think we should stop abusing our fellow Mason fans so much on here. I believe in good constructive criticism, but am against ridicule. Kind of the way coaching should be done.

I agree with your sentiments, however it seems silly to make his e-mail all about vcu. I beleive we should worry more about what WE are doing and less about what others are doing. Like his enthusiasm, don't like the execution.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dawgs I think it is perfectly fine to disagree with the execution and suggest a better path next time.

We are a small group of rabid Mason fans on here and all of us wants success from our basketball program. I would hate to drive fans away from here.

I think, possibly, there is someone else's execution we might hope to improve on ;)