Countdown to Hewitt's Next Longevity Bonus

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Lunatic fringe?

I'd be shocked if Mason ever developed a real lunatic fringe -- if anyone cared even close to as much about Mason hoops as people in Alabama care about Crimson Tide football or people in Kentucky care about UK basketball.

Those are real lunatics, the kind of lunatics that are willing to pay for big-time success and start looking for someone to fire if it doesn't occur.

We have exactly zero lunatics, but at least one f*cking idiot ... and his name is Son of a Gunston.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I posted this back in December- while March 1 and $85k are fast approaching, its very possible that some sort of agreement has been made that Hewitt will finish out the season and then be let go without earning $85k. While I think its foolish to give him $85k if we are going to fire him two weeks later, we don't know what kind of deal Edwards will negotiate with Hewitt's agent.

I posted this back in December- while March 1 and $85k are fast approaching, its very possible that some sort of agreement has been made that Hewitt will finish out the season and then be let go without earning $85k. While I think its foolish to give him $85k if we are going to fire him two weeks later, we don't know what kind of deal Edwards will negotiate with Hewitt's agent.

How cool would it be if we gave it all to him in change? Unwrapped?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
On the one hand, no one here is willing to douse himself in gasoline to help speed Hewitt's departure. On the other hand, JESUS JIM HAVE YOU MET SOME OF OUR FANS???

If we had any real lunatics in our fan base, Hewitt definitely would've been fired after last season. Somebody with deep pockets would have paid off the remaining $1.5M on his deal and sent his sorry a** packing.

Of course, it's entirely possible that our lunatics are just too poor to act on their lunacy.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I don't feel "galvanized" by such a disgrace as having to fire our team's coach. This issue hasn't galvanized anybody but the Lunatic Fringe on this board.

The writing was on the wall -- the Admins, Hewitt, the coaches, the players, and Steve Goff (in that order) knew it weeks ago. Wasn't that clear after the last Goff article in January? I'm sure that the search committee has already been assembled, again, weeks ago. Now that it has come to the forefront in another W-Post article, complete with anonymous sources, you all can say, "All right!! I told Cabrera and Edwards to do this... give me a shiny gold star on my forehead."

You don't fire coaches mid-season unless they have done something totally unscrupulous. Coaches don't voluntarily leave mid-season unless they know they've done something shady and wish to minimize embarrassment on both sides by stepping down early. Other than that, and health/death issues, there are not too many reasons that remain for coaches' departing when there are games left to play. Even Ernie Nestor got more grace after Byron Tucker got kicked off the team, Erik Hodges walked off the court, Nestor beat up Henri Abrams on the sideline, and subsequently lost his players' will to play for him. Nestor lasted until that aweful season came to a close. No one pulled the plug early.

In the grand scheme of things $85k is not a lot of money to lose as opposed to the cost of the program's cultural damage created by firing a coach early because you, the Lunatic Fringe, want to save a relatively paltry sum. Not even Dan Snyder has done this (yet)! And his team has a woeful organizational culture.

Brad Edwards is a class act and he summed it up perfectly in today's article, “We evaluate everything at the end of the year. We SUPPORT OUR TEAMS AND COACHES [sic]. We will sit down at the end and ask, ‘Where are we? What do we have to do to improve?’ ” Thy will be done...

The program will go on. And if we want a positive start to next season, then let's offer the team some support NOW. All you fantasy ADs go home. Brad is running the show. I'm sure you will be happy come the Ides of March when the search committee is busy interviewing a replacement head coach. I will be happy as well. But right now, and always, I will support the team in any way I can.

I think everybody on here recognizes the fact that the bonus is just a small portion of the budget. I think where people on here, myself included, have a problem is with somebody getting a bonus for doing a poor job. I know my work wouldn't give me a bonus if I was bad. So it's just out of principle.

Of course, it's entirely possible that our lunatics are just too poor to act on their lunacy.

Well, obviously. I literally know no one with a Mason degree that makes 17 and hour or up. Most of the people I graduated with either work as prostitutes, circus freaks or ran themselves over with a lawnmower, automobile, unicycle, etc.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think everybody on here recognizes the fact that the bonus is just a small portion of the budget. I think where people on here, myself included, have a problem is with somebody getting a bonus for doing a poor job. I know my work wouldn't give me a bonus if I was bad. So it's just out of principle.

Not to mention, the bonus is supposed to reward the coach for "longevity."

We're getting ready to fire him.

Am I the only one who finds this beyond ironic?

wijg

Starter
If we had any real lunatics in our fan base, Hewitt definitely would've been fired after last season. Somebody with deep pockets would have paid off the remaining $1.5M on his deal and sent his sorry a** packing.

If I had it, I would have paid of the $1.5M, so maybe I am the lunatic on here...

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Not to mention, the bonus is supposed to reward the coach for "longevity."

We're getting ready to fire him.

Am I the only one who finds this beyond ironic?
There it is. THAT is why he needs to be fired

Last edited:
I don't feel "galvanized" by such a disgrace as having to fire our team's coach. This issue hasn't galvanized anybody but the Lunatic Fringe on this board.

The writing was on the wall -- the Admins, Hewitt, the coaches, the players, and Steve Goff (in that order) knew it weeks ago. Wasn't that clear after the last Goff article in January? I'm sure that the search committee has already been assembled, again, weeks ago. Now that it has come to the forefront in another W-Post article, complete with anonymous sources, you all can say, "All right!! I told Cabrera and Edwards to do this... give me a shiny gold star on my forehead."

You don't fire coaches mid-season unless they have done something totally unscrupulous. Coaches don't voluntarily leave mid-season unless they know they've done something shady and wish to minimize embarrassment on both sides by stepping down early. Other than that, and health/death issues, there are not too many reasons that remain for coaches' departing when there are games left to play. Even Ernie Nestor got more grace after Byron Tucker got kicked off the team, Erik Hodges walked off the court, Nestor beat up Henri Abrams on the sideline, and subsequently lost his players' will to play for him. Nestor lasted until that aweful season came to a close. No one pulled the plug early.

In the grand scheme of things $85k is not a lot of money to lose as opposed to the cost of the program's cultural damage created by firing a coach early because you, the Lunatic Fringe, want to save a relatively paltry sum. Not even Dan Snyder has done this (yet)! And his team has a woeful organizational culture.

Brad Edwards is a class act and he summed it up perfectly in today's article, “We evaluate everything at the end of the year. We SUPPORT OUR TEAMS AND COACHES [sic]. We will sit down at the end and ask, ‘Where are we? What do we have to do to improve?’ ” Thy will be done...

The program will go on. And if we want a positive start to next season, then let's offer the team some support NOW. All you fantasy ADs go home. Brad is running the show. I'm sure you will be happy come the Ides of March when the search committee is busy interviewing a replacement head coach. I will be happy as well. But right now, and always, I will support the team in any way I can.

Hysterical. As Pablo pointed out, you don't even have the right player that walked off the court.

You also think Nestor was fired after the Tucker/Hodges/Abrams season. Weird. Abrams finished his eligibility in 1991. Nestor was still coaching in 1993.

Tucker got kicked off in 1992. Hodges walked in 1993. If you are going to go all ranting on us...do some fact checking. You're an embarrassment.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If Hewitt wants to finish the season, he can. All he needs to do is agree to forgo the $85k. His choice. He is either going out a disgraced HC now or he can take his chances of winning a few games in Brooklyn and going out with some dignity. Question is, does he have any confidence in his coaching ability?

KAOriginal

All-American
I hear theres a huge party to be had in the Hewitt suite he upgraded himself to for the night....

Kind of like New Year's...with a big countdown to midnight, balloons, champagne, etc...........

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I hear theres a huge party to be had in the Hewitt suite he upgraded himself to for the night....

Kind of like New Year's...with a big countdown to midnight, balloons, champagne, etc...........

He and his agent should throw a party. I don't fault either one of them for pulling the wool over TOC's head. I hope Hewitt uses it as a down payment on a beach house in the Hamptons and moves there permanently next month.