Coaching Carousel 2023

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There is risk with every single hire. Is there substantially more risk with Tony than other comparable candidates? I really don’t think so.

A lot of us are acting like Tony has been sitting on his couch since the Final Four.

Odom seems like a pipe dream, but he’s really the only one who I think is on another tier. He’d be taking a massive risk coming to Mason given our recent track record.
I agree with this. If mason was fine with giving KE his first HC job, why not Skinn. They both had a similar progression of assistant jobs.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the sentiment is that Tony should be the hire. what if that falls through? Good post about the Longwood coach above.

I was thinking there is a chance Mason will do another outside the box hire.

I am pretty sure that former NBA player Mike Miller was a finalist the previous time we had an opening as well as Irvines Coach the previous time.

I would love for us to land Charlestons Coach Kelsey, but we cant beat the offer he just got to stay there. What about Towsons Pat Skerry, Vermonts John Becker or Northeasterns Bill Coen? All 4 of them are program builders. Thoughts?
My thoughts are none of them are under consideration. It’s Tony’s job unless he turns it down.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How will Tony feel about being 2nd choice - and from his alma mater?
We better fire up an offer to Becker

I say we start fresh by going bold and offering Tony Skinn 1.8 million 5 year deal with performance compensation out the Ying Yang. Then announce a new EBA and the second phase of the practice facility. Balls to the wall.

Wicked evil thought here — could CKEs move to Providence be a lower conferences curse to a higher conference team much like Hewitt was a higher conferences cursed to a lower conference team . Maybe this is a move ti clear the karma?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know if true, but if he's not interested in USF, it's possible he's waiting for vcu to open.

Not even sure why he’d go to vcu. Utah State has a good history, has a rabid fanbase, and with the PAC12 about to be blown to smithereens might be the premier athletics conference on the west coast once the leftover schools pick up the pieces.

Herndon

All-Conference
None of these mean much in isolation, but, there is:
He comes highly recommended from past and current head coaches where he played and assisted.
His former players speak highly of him.
He is one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country.
His fans (and possibly school) are campaigning to keep him. Not clear if that is UMD's position as well.

Seems to be enough to warrant serious consideration regardless of where he went to school.
100% dude!

Again, I'm not saying I have a problem with Skinn, I just don't get the myopic focus on him from this board.

Like, yeah he seems like a reasonable candidate, but plenty of guys seem like reasonable candidates, but there isn't a thread on the front page of this forum talking about writing the president with your favorite candidate X.

I would like us to look far and wide, and if Tony Skinn is the best candidate, well then freaking great, but I would hope that the administration is not listening to a bunch of clowns on a message board, who really don't know what we're talking about.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Not even sure why he’d go to vcu. Utah State has a good history, has a rabid fanbase, and with the PAC12 about to be blown to smithereens might be the premier athletics conference on the west coast once the leftover schools pick up the pieces.

Rumors are he wants to move back East. I don't disagree with you in general, but if geography does play a part here...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Makes sense, but if he keeps winning in Utah, he can probably jump to a better conference than the A10.
If Rhoades doesn’t take the Penn State job, don’t be surprised if Odom does. There’s a reason he hasn’t finalized the 2X raise from USF … probably waiting to see how that all shakes out.

KAOriginal

All-American
Not knowing all the state laws...I'm sure the job has to be posted....a list compiled for records and then a process followed to comply....and more than just making it look good on paper...esp without and AD....

But I'm also willing to bet....it won't be settled till late next week at earliest....