Bye Angel

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That I could understand - but that had nothing to do with money.

My guess it has more to do with accepting the donation to rename the Law School despite some protestations. The president doesn’t really dip his toe on faculty decisions, even high profile ones.

Overall, not really sure why everyone is saying good riddance. I think overall Cabrera has done a good job pushing Mason forward. If he didn’t, a top tier university like Georgia Tech wouldn’t have come calling. I thank you for your service to Mason and wish you luck.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My guess it has more to do with accepting the donation to rename the Law School despite some protestations. The president doesn’t really dip his toe on faculty decisions, even high profile ones.

Overall, not really sure why everyone is saying good riddance. I think overall Cabrera has done a good job pushing Mason forward. If he didn’t, a top tier university like Georgia Tech wouldn’t have come calling. I thank you for your service to Mason and wish you luck.

Totally concur. Cabrera did a great job and the University is better than when he took the office. I wish him well and hope he still visits in the future.

FreeGunston12

All-American

My guess is that Cabrera never really seemed to have the public presence that Merten did. I’ve only heard each speak a couple of times. When I think of comparing the two, I think distinctly of Merten at my convocation vs Cabrera at my commencement. Merten seemed to have a much better relationship with the students. He also had the benefit of presiding during the “golden age” of Mason basketball. Regardless, he seemed much more genuine in his enthusiasm for Mason and seemed to be more of a “relationships” person. Cabrera, in contrast, was sold to us as a businessman.

Cabrera may have done a lot for the school, but most will judge a person based on how they made them feel. And most of us only had indirect contact with him by watching him at basketball games, commencements, etc. It is probably unfair and unwise to judge Cabrera that way, but that’s just why I think some are fine seeing him go.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
My guess is that Cabrera never really seemed to have the public presence that Merten did. I’ve only heard each speak a couple of times. When I think of comparing the two, I think distinctly of Merten at my convocation vs Cabrera at my commencement. Merten seemed to have a much better relationship with the students. He also had the benefit of presiding during the “golden age” of Mason basketball. Regardless, he seemed much more genuine in his enthusiasm for Mason and seemed to be more of a “relationships” person. Cabrera, in contrast, was sold to us as a businessman.

Cabrera may have done a lot for the school, but most will judge a person based on how they made them feel. And most of us only had indirect contact with him by watching him at basketball games, commencements, etc. It is probably unfair and unwise to judge Cabrera that way, but that’s just why I think some are fine seeing him go.

I think a top ten public research university and ACC member has their priorities straight and vetting procedures detailed. Most P5 presidents don’t even show up for basketball games. He appeared to be their only target. Good for him. He’ll evolve quickly.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I think a top ten public research university and ACC member has their priorities straight and vetting procedures detailed. Most P5 presidents don’t even show up for basketball games. He appeared to be their only target. Good for him. He’ll evolve quickly.
Well, that’s kinda my point. I’m sure he was a very good president from every measurable, quantifiable business perspective.

I just hope whomever replaces Cabrera at Mason will work to become beloved by the students, staff, and alumni. Invest in those relationships (which I’m sure Cabrera did, this is not a shot at him), and the business side of things will work itself out.

P.S. - your statement about Georgia Tech’s priorities and vetting is laughable considering why there is an opening for Cabrera to take in the first place.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

The guy brought a very europeans mindset to Mason. Very much focused on the numbers and increasing enrollment. Not sure he ever really quite cared about the social aspects/alumni engagement aspects of the American collegiate experience.

And that’s ok. As someone noted earlier, he was the right president for the right time and righted a lot of the balance books after the construction boom. I have sort of the same feeling with him as I do about Paulsen: brought stability in a time we needed it, and it might be time to move on up. Not bad fits, but I’m excited to see the next step.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
Well, that’s kinda my point. I’m sure he was a very good president from every measurable, quantifiable business perspective.

I just hope whomever replaces Cabrera at Mason will work to become beloved by the students, staff, and alumni. Invest in those relationships (which I’m sure Cabrera did, this is not a shot at him), and the business side of things will work itself out.

P.S. - your statement about Georgia Tech’s priorities and vetting is laughable considering why there is an opening for Cabrera to take in the first place.

You’re right. Bad things never happen in high performing organizations. If they actually did you certainly would not be more aware and extra cautious on the next hire. Hiring a proven leader with a strong ethics reputation to recover should never happen. :confused:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You cant work to "become beloved". It should just happen.

FreeGunston12

All-American
You’re right. Bad things never happen in high performing organizations. If they actually did you certainly would not be more aware and extra cautious on the next hire. Hiring a proven leader with a strong ethics reputation to recover should never happen. :confused:
To give them the benefit of the doubt because they are a “top ten public research university and ACC member” is bull crap. Hence the ethical issues ongoing. To say they should be more careful on the next hire is obvious. But you can’t say, based on current events, that they have their “priorities straight”. They are going to have to work to earn that endorsement. You’re wrong to just give them that back automatically.

FreeGunston12

All-American
You cant work to "become beloved". It should just happen.
Yup. It just happens automatically. It doesn’t take time and effort to invest in relationships with people. All educational leaders are just loved. There is no such thing as a “people person”. Admiration is a construct of the proletariat.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yup. It just happens automatically. It doesn’t take time and effort to invest in relationships with people. All educational leaders are just loved. There is no such thing as a “people person”. Admiration is a construct of the proletariat.

I'm just saying his or her people skills must be natural. Shouldn't have to work that hard at being liked. However, we could end up with a boogee bitch that talks only to only who he/she has to. George Johnson was kinda like that.

Last edited:
C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
To give them the benefit of the doubt because they are a “top ten public research university and ACC member” is bull crap. Hence the ethical issues ongoing. To say they should be more careful on the next hire is obvious. But you can’t say, based on current events, that they have their “priorities straight”. They are going to have to work to earn that endorsement. You’re wrong to just give them that back automatically.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt because they hired Angel and I am saying their priorities are straight by doing so. Shit happens in any organization. Ask about ten elite institutions affected by Varsity Blues. Everybody gets smarter.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt because they hired Angel and I am saying their priorities are straight by doing so. Shit happens in any organization. Ask about ten elite institutions affected by Varsity Blues. Everybody gets smarter.
Fine, then don’t tell us you’re sure “a top 10 public research university and ACC member has their priorities straight and vetting procedures detailed”. What you’re sure of is that you like Cabrera. And good luck to him. I’m sure he’ll do well at GT.

Honest question: what do you want out of the next president of Mason? What would you look for in a replacement?

Herndon

All-Conference
Fine, then don’t tell us you’re sure “a top 10 public research university and ACC member has their priorities straight and vetting procedures detailed”. What you’re sure of is that you like Cabrera. And good luck to him. I’m sure he’ll do well at GT.

Honest question: what do you want out of the next president of Mason? What would you look for in a replacement?
If we got another Cabrera, I'd be happy.

He left Mason a better place than he found it

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator

I don’t know Cabrera at all but I like what he has done. Next Prez needs to be next level thinker in higher ed and government both state and federal. Now you can skewer me.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I don’t know Cabrera at all but I like what he has done. Next Prez needs to be next level thinker in higher ed and government both state and federal. Now you can skewer me.
No need. We’re all team Mason here. Sorry if I came at you a little bit there. Educational leadership may be a bit of a passionate topic for me. As is anything Mason related.