Because the second half is for Losers

mason2k1

Starter
The greatly anticipated, much deserved, George Mason A10 inaugural season is amongst us, and boy have we had some close games and great wins. Almost halfway through this long awaited season and we haven’t been disappointed; frankly we’ve seen some great basketball. We currently boast a 5-1 conference record, but the wins haven’t come easy. Most games have been decided by a handful of points and at the finals seconds of regulation. Weekly updates to follow. But first, a quick look at how we got here.

Game 1 @vcu
L 35-34
Our inaugural game and it did not disappoint. We held our own against the “havoc” and lost the game as time ran out. Rams up 35-32 with a little over a minute left, BA misses a jumper, Moore for the rebound and the easy layup to follow. 35-34 less then a minute on the clock. Enter Jenkins for a huge Def rebound, giving it up to PH for a game winning 3 with :03 on the clock…but it didn’t fall. It was a hard loss to swallow, but winning times were right around the corner.

Game 2 St Joe’s
W 45-40
Our first win, at home, in front of 5027 faithful… thank you Mr. Hewitt and company. Big game from BA and Jenkins. MM, Marko, and VG, not so much. Solid game all around. A win is a win.

Game 3 UMass
W 47-45
Can we say upset?!?! #15 UMass came to Fairfax looking for an easy win. Instead they leave with a tough Loss. Maybe they were looking ahead. Whatever the case, our seniors Wright and BA came to play and both ended the game in double digits.

Game 4 @ Rhode Island
W 29-25
Solid contributions from BA, PH and BA proved to be too much for the Rams. Mason leaves RI 3-1 in A10 conference play.

Game 5 @ Fordham
W 31-30
Wright, BA and…some guy named Copes helped deliver Mason Nation another win making us now 4-1 for the season. Down 30-29 with :24s left, BA gets fouled and sinks 2 game winning free throws. The seniors have come to play this season and are using their head when the games on the line.

Game 6 GW
W 30-29
5-1 after our new found rivalry. In front of 7714 strong, rookie sensation Jenkins gets into early foul trouble but that’s ok, some guy named Johnny Williams showed up and led the team in points. GW tried to mount a last minute comeback but the good guys prevailed. Droves of GW fans leave disappointed. This Hewitt hiring is starting to make a particular AD look pretty good right about now…shall we start talking contract extension now or save it for after the tourney?!?!?

up next, @ St Louis

OP
mason2k1

mason2k1

Starter
How is our OOC 1st half record? I'm hoping we might make the 1st half top 25!
Not that impressive at 6-7 by my count but I could have missed something.

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total
American.......................... 37 23 - 60
George Mason.................. 38 25 - 63

George Mason.................. 37 31 - 68
Lamar............................... 29 25 - 54

Saint Francis.................... 20 26 - 46
George Mason.................. 25 33 - 58

George Mason.................. 25 48 - 73
Iona College..................... 44 45 - 89

George Mason.................. 23 43 - 66
Princeton.......................... 40 31 - 71

Rhode Island.................. 31 23 - 54
George Mason.................. 33 28 - 61

South Florida.................... 29 39 - 68
George Mason.................. 34 32 - 66

Oklahoma......................... 38 43 - 81
George Mason.................. 28 38 - 66

Iowa State........................ 34 45 - 79
George Mason.................. 29 38 - 67

George Mason.................. 29 25 - 54
Oregon State.................... 28 30 - 58

George Mason.................. 26 39 - 65
Saint Mary's...................... 31 32 - 63

Penn.................................. 41 36 - 77
George Mason.................. 39 41 - 80

George Mason.................. 29 37 - 66
Old Dominion.................. 40 31 - 71

Bricker

Starter
Hey! That St Mary's win-- the false-hope game of 2013-2014. Ah, memories... feels like it was years ago

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Unless I'm mistaken in my math, out of our 6 conference games, we've outscored opponents 216 - 204 in the first half while in the second half/OT, we're outscored 216 - 261. Obviously there's coaching reasons and adjustments aren't made which does not need to be discussed for the 1,164,324th time. But seriously, WTF goes on in the locker room?

I've attached a picture of my theory of what goes on in the locker room at halftime.

I'm also starting to think that our team is less physically conditioned compared to other teams. We just seem to run on fumes in the second have and play sloppy. Or maybe the team is burnt out and their bodies are being pushed to hard off the cuart and fatigue is starting to wear on them.

We've shown from conference 1st half play that we have the potential and talent to compete in the A-10, but Hewitt needs to get the team straight and teach composure in the second half and make the right decisions.

Attachments

• Halftime.JPG
    Halftime.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 373
OP
mason2k1

mason2k1

Starter
Unless I'm mistaken in my math, out of our 6 conference games, we've outscored opponents 216 - 204 in the first half while in the second half/OT, we're outscored 216 - 261. Obviously there's coaching reasons and adjustments aren't made which does not need to be discussed for the 1,164,324th time. But seriously, WTF goes on in the locker room?

I've attached a picture of my theory of what goes on in the locker room at halftime.

I'm also starting to think that our team is less physically conditioned compared to other teams. We just seem to run on fumes in the second have and play sloppy. Or maybe the team is burnt out and their bodies are being pushed to hard off the cuart and fatigue is starting to wear on them.

We've shown from conference 1st half play that we have the potential and talent to compete in the A-10, but Hewitt needs to get the team straight and teach composure in the second half and make the right decisions.
It clearly has to be a vowel.