A-10 Tourney: Game(s) Discussion Thread

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
We were a big fish in the CAA through most of Larranaga's tenure. We did very well for ourselves there and could still be doing so if he had managed to keep our coach.

If you're going to make a dramatic step up in conferences, you should make sure you have the resources and administrative commitment to compete.

Finally, assuming this season was a low point is dangerous when your coach is Bozo. I expect we'll be even worse next season without Allen and Wright.

But we didn't keep Larranaga--Hewitt would have us in the middle of the CAA as opposed to the bottom of the A-10.

And I'm assuming we won't be quite so bad in the A-10 next year because of Julian Royal, but that's cautious optimism. Hewitt is still our coach so expectations are low.

Basically my point is that if we're gonna be 5th in the A-10 or 3rd in the CAA I'll take 5th in the A-10 all day long. Heck I'd take 7th or 8th in the A-10 if you want to compare season-to-season. This season was a disaster but I felt more pride in my team losing to tournament teams like St. Louis, Dayton, and St. Joes than I would losing to William & Mary and Hofstra.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If that commitment isn't there, we would've been better off being a big fish in the CAA than a guppy in the shark-infested A-10. I'd love to know how anybody could argue that.

I believe that you are wrong. I have the utmost confidence that President Cabrera is committed to being successful in the A10. Let's not give up yet!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
But we didn't keep Larranaga--Hewitt would have us in the middle of the CAA as opposed to the bottom of the A-10.

And I'm assuming we won't be quite so bad in the A-10 next year because of Julian Royal, but that's cautious optimism. Hewitt is still our coach so expectations are low.

Basically my point is that if we're gonna be 5th in the A-10 or 3rd in the CAA I'll take 5th in the A-10 all day long. Heck I'd take 7th or 8th in the A-10 if you want to compare season-to-season. This season was a disaster but I felt more pride in my team losing to tournament teams like St. Louis, Dayton, and St. Joes than I would losing to William & Mary and Hofstra.

It's going to be much more difficult to be competitive in the A-10 going forward than it would've been in the CAA.

If our administration is committed to doing so, great. I'll be thrilled to support a program that is taking the steps to compete in a nationally respected conference.

If not, then this move is going to be an epic fail for everyone but people who enjoy "moral victories."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe that you are wrong. I have the utmost confidence that President Cabrera is committed to being successful in the A10. Let's not give up yet!

How am I wrong? I never stated that he's not committed, I merely asked the question. You are reading words that aren't there.

Like you, I hope that Cabrera is willing to do what is necessary to win in the A-10. But only time will tell.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
It's going to be much more difficult to be competitive in the A-10 going forward than it would've been in the CAA.

If our administration is committed to doing so, great. I'll be thrilled to support a program that is taking the steps to compete in a nationally respected conference.

If not, then this move is going to be an epic fail for everyone but people who enjoy "moral victories."

It's not like the commitment level to success was any higher the last 2 seasons when we were floundering around in the CAA. If we're gonna suck I'd rather suck in a better conference. It takes the edge off sucking so hard.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How am I wrong? I never stated that he's not committed, I merely asked the question. You are reading words that aren't there.

Like you, I hope that Cabrera is willing to do what is necessary to win in the A-10. But only time will tell.

I'm thinking Cabera is smart enough to see the value in out of state applicants to his school. He is smart enough to know his primary market, north east corridor. He is smart enough to see the a10 is a north east conference and getting into the NCAA tourney is one of, if not, the most valuable ways to get schools name out. After final four, applicants for out of state kids jumped 400%. Cabrerrea gets it. Can he design a plan, and execute it is the question.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here the thing, Jim. We don't have a talent gap (our games against the top of the conference proves that), and despite what everyone wants to say we don't have a facilities gap either. And if you look at the budget breakdowns posted by vcu earlier this season our recruiting budget is on par with the rest of the A10 so we are giving our assistants the resources to continue to recruit with our new A10 peers.

What do we lack? A coach. That's it. And maybe a little more hustle and out of the box thinking in getting more private support.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Based on what? His twitter account?
eee
I've said this elsewhere on the boards--don't sell Cabrera short. His reputation is for being a "big picture" guy and everyone that I know that has interacted with him says he's a quick study on any topic.

While he wasn't here when Hewitt was hired, he did approve the move to the A10 and I'm sure understood the financials associated with that. Although his focus, appropriately, is on the academic status of the institution, I'm sure he is committed to all aspects of the university being successful.

Granted, as Jim indicates, we need to see how it plays out over time, but I think the early signs of his time at Mason are positive. That doesn't mean the basketball team will rocket to the top of a very competitive conference in a year or two, but long-term I think things are promising.

masonjoe

Starter
I've said this elsewhere on the boards--don't sell Cabrera short. His reputation is for being a "big picture" guy and everyone that I know that has interacted with him says he's a quick study on any topic.

Not selling him short just saying he's essentially done nothing yet to improve the basketball program. The A-10 move was being discussed well before his arrival.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
While I could be wrong, the version of the story that I heard was that moving to the A10 came up towards the end of Merten's tenure as president. Although TOC recommended the move, Merten was unwilling to sign off and saddle an incoming president with a situation with substantial financial implications. After Cabrera took the reins, the recommendation surfaced again and he approved the move.

I'm not sure what else you expected him to do to improve the basketball situation. Fire Hewitt after 2 20 win seasons or mid-season? I think even now Hewitt is here another season, given that he can point to the move to a much tougher conference having more to do with our record this season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not selling him short just saying he's essentially done nothing yet to improve the basketball program. The A-10 move was being discussed well before his arrival.

He's been here a year-and-a-half. What exactly do you expect him to do?

And let's not forget our old president rejected the move.

mason2k1

Starter
He's been here a year-and-a-half. What exactly do you expect him to do?

And let's not forget our old president rejected the move.
I want him to be at every A10 tournament game post PIG and tweet about having vcu envy.
Oh, wait, ... he did do that..multiple times.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Yes and pissed on by Merten. Cabrerra made that move happen. No ifs ands or buts about it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No, but you may want to have at least some reason as why you have confidence in his ability regarding sports.

I'm not saying its an absolute answer but heres why I at least have (some) faith in what hes doing (and the school in general)

1) Understanding the business of a successful basketball program. This includes pushing the A-10 tournament heavily (it was all over social media) and the move to the A-10. I was told by Patriot Club folks that Cabrera asked for a "business plan" for the A-10, which is why he signed off on the decision once it was clear on the benefits. They also said that hes been extremely supportive in anything they've come up with.

2) Another poster said Cabrera at the Mason pep rally said that he understands the importance of the basketball program for the school. Its verbal confirmation for what its worth. Cabrera also made it a point to stick around for several of the games, seeing what it was all about, and I'm sure hes asking "what can we do to bring this success to our program?"

I'm not saying Cabrera will do what everyone wants and fire TOC and Hewitt today to go in a different direction. But I think the guy gets it much more than Merten. If Hewitt fails next year, I sense the need for change will be much more imminent for various reasons already stated.

At least this is my opinion of him now. If he goes out and extends Hewitt now, or does something absurd, my opinion will change. But with him at the helm I have no reason to not believe that basketball is a very important priority.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In retrospect, for all of his coming to games and firing the T-shirt gun, Alan Merten was not as big a friend of our basketball program as his public image suggested.

A lot of what TOC gets crushed for on this board can be blamed directly on Merten -- after all, the president is ultimately the one who decides a university's fiscal priorities.

Merten deserves a ton of credit for taking Mason from a commuter safety school to a quality, residential university. It really is impressive what has been done on that campus in the 22 years since I graduated. Not trying to take that away from him at all.

But Cabrera won't have to do much to be a better president from an athletics point of view.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Agreed, and I do think Cabrera is a smart man and hopefully understands the benefits of a highly competitive and winning bball team. I really like him so far, and think hes a good guy for the job.

No offense to him, and its mainly due to the point we are at but alot of it is talking and general things that should happen. I think asking for a business plan regarding an impending move, is something that should happen regardless. I think we will all see where he really stands, because some hard decisions are coming up soon as opposed to just speaking and projecting.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm confused. Less than a minute to go in the St. Joe's/UConn game and SJU has 3 timeouts left and UConn still had 2. Do teams get more timeouts in the tournament? How come we never had that many timeouts left in a game?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk