A-10 tourney 2017

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/03/25/acc-basketball-tournament-barclays-center/6862583/

The Atlantic 10 will move its postseason tournament out of Brooklyn for 2017-2018 and return to the Barclays Center from 2019-2021, according to the person with knowledge of the situation. The person also confirmed that there will be a series of ACC-A-10 doubleheaders at the Barclays Center.

The A-10 is looking at possibly moving its tournament to Washington, D.C., or Pittsburgh for 2017-18, another person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports earlier this month.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They could move it almost anywhere for 2 years, with the defense that it's only for 2 years. Pittsburgh would be an interesting choice.... sounds like a play to keep Dayton happy.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-co...-acc-basketball-tournament-2017-18-per-source
"The A-10 is now seeking a home for the 2017 and 2018 tournament and will look to place it in its geographic footprint with possibilities looming with Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and now Charlotte with the addition of Davidson as a new member in 2014-15."

No offense to Davidson, but they haven't even joined the conference yet and Charlotte is being considered to host the tourney? I realize somebody could say the same thing about DC, that we've only been in the conference for one ugly year, so why Verizon Center...but GW is a founding member. and having two area schools is better than one. I'd bet Philly gets it since its central to everyone and has two schools close by.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-co...-acc-basketball-tournament-2017-18-per-source
"The A-10 is now seeking a home for the 2017 and 2018 tournament and will look to place it in its geographic footprint with possibilities looming with Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and now Charlotte with the addition of Davidson as a new member in 2014-15."

No offense to Davidson, but they haven't even joined the conference yet and Charlotte is being considered to host the tourney? I realize somebody could say the same thing about DC, that we've only been in the conference for one ugly year, so why Verizon Center...but GW is a founding member. and having two area schools is better than one. I'd bet Philly gets it since its central to everyone and has two schools close by.

Charlotte has an NBA arena so why not look there? Pittsburgh seems an odder choice, given just how crappy downtown Pittsburgh is (my dads family is from western Pennsylvania and I have a cousin who lives in Pittsburgh and no matter how hard he tries he can't make living there look exciting).

I'm 14 blocks away from American Airlines arena so I say screw the footprint bring the tournament down here. You want to bring a huge contingent of students to the tourney? Hold it in Miami during spring break season.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any of those 4 is fine with me as a one or two year thing. It would be a shame if they don't give DC a try, though. Maybe one year in DC and one year in Philly? I'd like to see them hold the early rounds at the Palestra.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209445016&DB_OEM_ID=31600

BROOKLYN – Barclays Center announced today a two-year agreement with the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and an extension with the Atlantic 10 Conference (A-10) that secures postseason conference tournaments in Brooklyn’s major sports and entertainment venue through 2021.

The ACC Tournament will be played at Barclays Center in 2017 and ’18. The A-10 will continue to hold its championship at Barclays Center in 2015 and 2016 and then return to the venue for three years in 2019, 2020 and 2021. The ACC and the A-10 will play inter-conference doubleheaders at Barclays Center in 2015, 2016 and 2017. In addition, the A-10 has secured a spot for its teams to participate in the annual BROOKLYN HOOPS™ events at Barclays Center.

Yossarian

Sixth Man
When is the Brooklyn Hoops event? I'm probably leaning more toward a Brooklyn Hops event, personally.
Brooklyn Brewery IPA.jpg