299 Days of English

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Two of them that are proven unable to actually be good college point guards due to various reasons. Would like nothing more than XJ to magically have both legs heal and learn how to dribble again and play some semblance of defense. I hope it happens. I also hope Jamal can learn to dribble, pass, pretend it’s not a 5 v 4 when we re on defense. I hope it happens. If not I’d like to see one if not both go find a lower level program to play for so CKE can bring in another 2 guard or capable transfer pg. he’s made it so obvious that Ronny is his choice I’m not sure how Hartwell or XJ have not left yet. I hope he can get the best out of Ronny because we saw small glimpses second half of the season.
Yes, I'm surprised XJ and Hartwell are still here. Just want the Mason degree? Friends? D.C.? Haven't figured out they'll never see the court? Don't care? The monster you know is safer than the one you don't?
Doesn't really matter, though. Whatever their reasons, they must think it's best for them. Can't fault them for that.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s obvious KE does not want to be perceived as pulling scholarships from any of DP’s guys so it could happen 1 of 2 ways:

Somebody who realizes he is buried on the depth chart enters the portal voluntarily

OR

The staff finds another player they really want for the 21-22 season and one of the existing guys is quietly told to find a new school.

Door No. 2 sounds harsh but scholarships are like gold when you have a staff that can recruit. Makes no sense to waste them if you can improve your roster now
a more humane way

1) pull the basketball scholarship
2) replace it with an academic scholarship
3) player can stay, get a Mason degree, and dominate intramurals; or
4) player can leave and compete for another school

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
a more humane way

1) pull the basketball scholarship
2) replace it with an academic scholarship
3) player can stay, get a Mason degree, and dominate intramurals; or
4) player can leave and compete for another school
So #4 in other words

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A lot of breaking of coach English's rules on here from you disciples. #textabuddy #feedthefloor
@mhAdmin On that note and related to the donation effort, have we ever considered moving this site off of public view or had a pay only area where we can hide the #textabuddy type analysis of players and coaches?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I actually pitched this idea to @mhAdmin a while ago even before English showed up. Now that everyone is excited it probably makes sense to revisit the idea. I know that we like to be welcoming and include everyone, but if we are going to step up our game in general, perhaps it makes sense.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would say while this is a public forum, a player would have to go out of their way to come here and see what we're saying about them as opposed to going to social media and getting in their mentions (or directly posting something directly at them)...very different situations.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I would say while this is a public forum, a player would have to go out of their way to come here and see what we're saying about them as opposed to going to social media and getting in their mentions (or directly posting something directly at them)...very different situations.
9/10 for a school like Mason they'd have to go out of their way to see it on Twitter too. I can't recall a single time I've actually seen a Mason fan talking crap about a player after a game where they tagged them in it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because I am sure that it does just in circles that I am not necessarily in, but most of the time players will search their name on Twitter to see what people are saying / retweet highlight clips and see things that way. So they do go out of their way to see what is being said about them. In the same vein, I am without a doubt positive that players still read these boards. Curiosity, validation, or just flat out masochism I am sure there are players that lurk on here after games during the season.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
So #4 in other words
#2 requires money --can you imagine the outcry if money is being taken away from a general scholarship fund to pay for an athlete whose athletic scholarship was revoked by the coach?! Zero sum game. Athletic scholarships, I believe, are paid for by money-raising designed specifically for that purpose.

I think the Kileys provided funding for athletes to finish their Mason degrees who had used up their eligibility but had not yet graduated. It would be a harder sell to convince a donor to fund an athlete who lost his athletic scholarship because the coach no longer wanted him.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Agreed- I actually would like a paid section so that more of us can share what we know without it being so widely known.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
#2 requires money --can you imagine the outcry if money is being taken away from a general scholarship fund to pay for an athlete whose athletic scholarship was revoked by the coach?! Zero sum game. Athletic scholarships, I believe, are paid for by money-raising designed specifically for that purpose.

I think the Kileys provided funding for athletes to finish their Mason degrees who had used up their eligibility but had not yet graduated. It would be a harder sell to convince a donor to fund an athlete who lost his athletic scholarship because the coach no longer wanted him.
I was a Grad Student at Stanford when this happened.
Football coach was fired.
New Coach came in and didn't want some of the players.
University pulled their Football Scholarships and gave them Academic Scholarships.
Some players transferred and went to other schools (and sat out for a year).
Others stayed to finish their degrees, a few joined the Track Team (and didnt get scholarships) others played Intramurals.