'22 Recruiting Class Signed and Delivered

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think technically Cooper and Hartwell could get a free year and neither would count. Cooper was a redshirt junior last year and graduated so he would have a 5th year of eligibility. Hartwell is a regular senior and gets a free year due to covid and wouldn't' count either.

I agree that Schwartz is the only one who can't come back since hes in the 5th year of eligibility.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wasn't sure how that worked. So we could have both Hartwell and Cooper stick around for their 5th year and still add another recruit/transfer?
Hartwell for certain can come back to Mason next year and not count against the 13 scholarship limit. If Hartwell transfers anywhere else for his 5th year, he would count against his new team's limit.

Whether Cooper counts toward the limit is less clear, because he transferred (albeit before his 5th year).

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I would be interested to know the process our staff uses to basically background check kids in the recruiting process. From the time a player catches a coaches eye, to the point where we offer, to the time when a player commits… what steps are we taking?

Not implying we did anything wrong or cut any corners in this instance, but I think it’s a fair question.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I would think a recruit's high school coach would be his best representation. If a kid we recruited got into previous trouble and we did not know then we didn't ask or someone lied. Not sure if you can do a criminal check on a teenager. There is also the gut feeling when you are around the kid, his family etc.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I know all the staffs I’ve been on as a high school coach, we have always been honest with college coaches to the point where it might have costed some kids some opportunities… but if you want any credibility you have to be honest.

Some college staffs went deeper than others. Some contacted teachers (usually the lowest grade they had) to see what they had to say, some talk to opposing coaches… just curious how far we go and where in the process we do those things.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
Whatever. He wont be playing for us. So no need to spend time talking about it. Based on KE and what seems to be his MO, I doubt they would have taken a chance unless they were misled in their due diligence.

However, being from Georgia....I bet this was a Felton pipeline recruit...and KE probably just went with it.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Murray is a 6-foot-7, two-sport star who has an offer to play football at Virginia, according to 247 Sports. Walker, a 6-foot-4 guard, joined first-year George Mason Coach Kim English’s 2022 recruiting class — which 247 Sports ranks second in the Atlantic 10 — when he signed with the program Nov. 10. Milton’s boys’ basketball team is ranked No. 2 in the country by maxpreps.com.

'Cam is one of those feel good stories,' George Mason associate head coach Dennis Felton said in a video the team posted to social media when Walker signed. 'Cam just kept kind of commanding our attention, and it’s easy to say why. It was his toughness, his competitive edge, his willingness to do whatever it takes to win a possession.'”