2024 A10 Tournament Thread - Men

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
•The Patriots will be the No. 7 seed with a win vs. Richmond AND a St. Bonaventure loss AND a Saint Joseph's loss
• The Patriots will be the No. 7 seed with a win AND a St. Bonaventure loss AND a Saint Joseph's win AND a Duquesne win AND a Loyola loss
• The Patriots will be the No. 8 seed with a win AND a St. Bonaventure win AND a Saint Joseph's loss
• The Patriots will be the No. 8 seed with a win AND a St. Bonaventure loss AND a Saint Joseph's win AND a Duquesne win AND a Loyola win
• The Patriots will be the No. 8 seed with a win AND a St. Bonaventure loss AND a Saint Joseph's win AND a Duquesne loss
• The Patriots will be the No. 9 seed with a win AND a St. Bonaventure win AND a Saint Joseph's win
• The Patriots will be the No. 9 seed with a loss

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Finished as the 8 seed. Play 9 seed St. Joseph's on Wednesday at 1130am

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Finished as the 8 seed. Play 9 seed St. Joseph's on Wednesday at 1130am

I don't understand why Mason is the #8 and not #7.

Since head-to-head competition is 1–1 for each of Mason, St. Joe's and St. Bona, the next tie-breaking rule is as follows:

• If more than two teams still remain, use the Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.
(https://atlantic10.com/news/2015/2/21/209901106.aspx)

vs. #1 Richmond
Mason 1–1 (.500 winning percentage)
St. Joe's 0–1 (.000)
St. Bona 0–1 (.000)

Makes no sense. Why or how does LoyChi get factored in (see A10 article below)? Because Richmond and LoyChi have identical conference records?!? That's ridiculous. The rule above states "winning percentage versus the highest common opponent." —not opponentS. But, yet, here we are...

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I don't understand why Mason is the #8 and not #7.

Since head-to-head competition is 1–1 for each of Mason, St. Joe's and St. Bona, the next tie-breaking rule is as follows:

• If more than two teams still remain, use the Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.
(https://atlantic10.com/news/2015/2/21/209901106.aspx)

vs. #1 Richmond
Mason 1–1 (.500 winning percentage)
St. Joe's 0–1 (.000)
St. Bona 0–1 (.000)

Makes no sense. Why or how does LoyChi get factored in (see A10 article below)? Because Richmond and LoyChi have identical conference records?!? That's ridiculous. The rule above states "winning percentage versus the highest common opponent." —not opponentS. But, yet, here we are...

The tiebreaker uses conference record (not seeding). Because Richmond and Loyola Chicago had the same conference record, they are grouped together:

Vs. Richmond and Loyola Chicago:
St. Bona 1-1
Mason 1-3
St. Joe's 0-3

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The tiebreaker uses conference record (not seeding). Because Richmond and Loyola Chicago had the same conference record, they are grouped together:

Vs. Richmond and Loyola Chicago:
St. Bona 1-1
Mason 1-3
St. Joe's 0-3

I understand that. But, the tie-breaker rule states "highest common opponent"—not an aggregation of highest common opponents. The A10 either has another set of specific, official rules in its charter or they are playing loose with the rules that appear on the A10 website.

Fine. I'd rather play Richmond if we beat St. Joe's, beat Richmond again, and then play the 4/5 seed as Mason's path to the A10 finals.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Confusing. I assumed we'd be ahead of Bona with win over them and behind St
Joe's with a loss. Oh well - beat St. Joe's!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I like where we are in the bracket. We can beat all of the teams in our way to the final.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like where we are in the bracket. We can beat all of the teams in our way to the final.

We’ve beaten or been competitive with every team this year, I’m optimistic we can beat anyone on a given day, which is something I don’t think we could have ever said. I see a path, even if I’m not that confident we are going to pull it off.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Prediction from ESPN:

Atlantic 10 Conference​

Sunday, March 17, 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Borzello: Dayton
Gasaway: Dayton
Lunardi: Dayton
Medcalf: Dayton

Why Dayton will win: Here we have unanimous backing of a team that will likely end up as the 3-seed in the conference tournament after the Flyers' loss last week at Loyola Chicago. There's plenty more reasons to pick them than not, though. DaRon Holmes II is the best player in the league and a legitimate All-America candidate, while Koby Brea and Nate Santos can shoot it. Anthony Grant has an elite offense, but the defense will have to lock in to win the tourney. -- Borzello

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Anyone but vcu or Dayton.

UMass might be a good option since they’re going to have to give the conference their money when they leave in ‘25.
That is a good point, but it is a bad look that the A10 champion is leaving. So, no UMass. Also, no vcu.