2024-2025 Rosterbation Thread

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Billups will be a senior and his 3% shooting percentage over his first three years has pretty consistently been about 24-26%. I would be surprised if he all of a sudden started hitting 36%+ his senior season, but I guess you can’t discount it.

I dont think we should expect to see Woody Newton hit a ton of 3s with volume either. He looks to be about consistently in that 28% range too. I’d be surprised to see him north of 33% next season.

Ball hit 32% this year, which for a freshman isn’t too bad. He’s got good mechanics and a quick trigger. If he can stay on the floor I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the 37-39% range next year, but who knows.

We need at least two bigs. And if Polite leaves a PG, who can be a perimeter shooter or not, we just need someone who can protect the ball and spell Okojie if Begg isn’t ready — someone like Tre Wood this year.

The last two scholarships should be players who can be a threat to hit from the perimeter. Ideally someone at the 3/4 spot.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
While the transfer portal suck. It does give Mason a chance to get some really good talent in the door. Players like ticket, and Hall were mostly bench warmers who just needed an opportunity.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen had Shevon Thompson for his first year. Generally speaking Mason doesn't get 6'11 guys like him (and they aren't really that plentiful either). But to your greater point, yes we had some solid talent.

I definitely agree we need more like Okojie. The teams that were playing yesterday and even today have what @MasonFanatic and I call "fu I'm going to take over guards" who just refuse to do anything but score. I'd really appreciate if we could find the next Erik Reynolds or Dae Dae Grant. Hopefully Tony and company can find those guys and develop them. Baraka definitely is awesome but he needs some help.
Yeah I forgot DP had Thompson. Thst was a great starting 5. Shows how important coaching is. Good coaches would have achieved a lot more with that roster.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree that Ball, Okojie, and Billups can, and should, improve, but I'd be much more comfortable if we added two (2) transfers who've proven they can hit at a ~37-40% clip. Easier said than done, I know, but this has to be our priority. We're losing Hall and Kelly. Other than Maddox, there's nobody on this roster that is a legit outside threat. NOBODY.

And we can forget about poaching anyone off of Maryland's roster. They're @ 29% as a team and not one player above 32%. Yikes!
I would take Kaiser, DHS or Lamothe from Maryland in a heartbeat and couldn’t care less what their stats say. All are freshmen and will improve with time on task. Don’t expect to see any of them in the portal, though.