2023 Transfer Portal Thread

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Despite the relatively pedestrian offensive numbers why am I encouraged by the players coming in? Well, I love the fact that TS has said publicly that we're going to press and go up tempo. Last year we were 265th in the nation in turnovers forced with just 11.52 per game. We were a pathetic 338th in the nation in steals with just 4.6 per game. The new guys coming in are long, quick, and athletic as all get out. So, I anticipate our steals and forced turnovers to skyrocket in comparison to last year. Steals and turnovers lead to easy layups and dunks. Opponent fatigue at the end of games will also help our win/loss chances.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was curious so I took a look at stats for each new player from last year to see what we MIGHT be getting offensively. I also compared our percentages from last year.

Collectively: The six new guys posted the following numbers last season.
Overall FG% - 378-857 (44.1%) Would have been 203rd in the NCAA.
Last year we were 800-1774 (45.1%) overall. 152nd in NCAA.

Overall 3 PT% - 65-208 (31.25%) Would have been 318th in the NCAA.
Last year we were 240-685 (35%) from 3. 126th in NCAA.

FT% - 218-340 (64.1%) Would have been 343rd in the NCAA.
Last year we were 428-657 (65.1%) from the line. 333rd in NCAA.

Individually:
Hall - FG% 35-73 (47.9%), 3Pt% 10-20 (50.0%), FT% 17-25 (68.0%)
Billups - FG% 72-214 (33.6%), 3Pt% 13-49 (26.5%), FT% 94-131 (71.8%)
Maddox - FG% 64-171 (37.4%), 3Pt% 20-62 (32.3%), FT% 21-24 (87.5%)
Kelly - FG% 104-180 (57.8%), 3Pt% 4-12 (33.3%), FT% 53-82 (64.6%)
Newton - FG% 43-118 (36.4%), 3Pt% 18-65 (27.7%), FT% 21-34 (61.8%)
Pavrette - FG% 60-101 (59.4%), 3Pt% 0-0 (N/A), FT% 12-44 (27.3%)
Thanks for putting this together. It looks like on paper there isn't that much of an upgrade in some of these areas. However, I think some of them are incredibly small samples (Hall from 3 amongst others).

I do think that some of the guys like Maddox Hall and Newton will be more involved offensively this year and I expect that Maddox and Newton will be able to score "more" in the A10. Without saying, Hall will need to score as well.

We are going a little bit "high risk" with some guys who haven't scored that much in previous stops, but I also think that will even out considering more playing time, easier league, etc. Hopefully these guys will put in a ton of work this summer to gel and get going.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The resourcefulness of our recruiting apparatus to get seemingly good pieces into play and buy into a new coach with no head coaching experience in such a short time, makes me very confident that year two of CTS running the show will be the money year for Mason.

(Damn that was long run on sentence)

Nothing is guaranteed but it’s about as good as it gets at this point in time for Mason with the players available to recruit.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Thanks for putting this together. It looks like on paper there isn't that much of an upgrade in some of these areas. However, I think some of them are incredibly small samples (Hall from 3 amongst others).

I do think that some of the guys like Maddox Hall and Newton will be more involved offensively this year and I expect that Maddox and Newton will be able to score "more" in the A10. Without saying, Hall will need to score as well.

We are going a little bit "high risk" with some guys who haven't scored that much in previous stops, but I also think that will even out considering more playing time, easier league, etc. Hopefully these guys will put in a ton of work this summer to gel and get going.
Agree 100%. I think Hall and Maddox can really explode offensively. The ceiling is high.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Despite the relatively pedestrian offensive numbers why am I encouraged by the players coming in? Well, I love the fact that TS has said publicly that we're going to press and go up tempo. Last year we were 265th in the nation in turnovers forced with just 11.52 per game. We were a pathetic 338th in the nation in steals with just 4.6 per game. The new guys coming in are long, quick, and athletic as all get out. So, I anticipate our steals and forced turnovers to skyrocket in comparison to last year. Steals and turnovers lead to easy layups and dunks. Opponent fatigue at the end of games will also help our win/loss chances.
I think the encouraging feeling could be based on the roster make up as it relates to style of play and how it may be more attractive than what we’ve seen.

KEs plan was to run the offense through Oduro and put shooters around him, which makes sense as Plan A. If Plan A wasn’t available because Oduro was being denied the ball or wasn’t in the game, the assembled roster wasn’t really built to create on its own outside of Polite. KE said he wanted to play fast, but it’s really tough to do that when your offense is predicated on post touches.

The current regime seems intent on playing fast and attacking, which falls in line with how the roster has been put together. Billups attacks the rim, Maddox is your primary shooter, Hall can spot up or create for himself all over the floor, all 3 bigs can run, Polite can create and shoot a bit, etc. More attractive style of play and more avenues for success.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agree 100%. I think Hall and Maddox can really explode offensively. The ceiling is high.

I also think people are sleeping on Dinkins’ potential to score off the bench. I think he’ll average between 6-8 ppg next year.

If we do become a pressing team, you could also look to vcu’s stats the last few seasons where they had like 2 big-time scorers and then 8 guys averaging in the 7.5 ppg range.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I really like the depth and flexibility of this roster. I could see situations where Newton and Hall could play the 4 and 5. Those same guys could probably play the 2 if they had to. Amari Kelly could probably bump down to the 4 if Malik or Pavrette are productive or if we need some extra interior defense. We should be as deep 2-5 as any squad I can remember, especially if Ball is ready to come in and knock down some shots. That type of competition for minutes can only be good for us.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the encouraging feeling could be based on the roster make up as it relates to style of play and how it may be more attractive than what we’ve seen.

KEs plan was to run the offense through Oduro and put shooters around him, which makes sense as Plan A. If Plan A wasn’t available because Oduro was being denied the ball or wasn’t in the game, the assembled roster wasn’t really built to create on its own outside of Polite. KE said he wanted to play fast, but it’s really tough to do that when your offense is predicated on post touch’s.

The current regime seems intent on playing fast and attacking, which falls in line with how the roster has been put together. Billups attacks the rim, Maddox is your primary shooter, Hall can spot up or create for himself all over the floor, all 3 bigs can run, Polite can create and shoot a bit, etc. More attractive style of play and more avenues for success.
As much as I loved watching Josh’s development into a 2-time all-A10 first-teamer, it will be refreshing to not have to play exclusively through the post and have multiple guys on the floor who can get their own shot.

I think people are particularly sleeping on Hall, who is gonna be a nightmare cover in the A-10. He’s quick enough to attack close outs and blow by bigger defenders off the dribble, but too big and strong to cover with a guard. His per-40 numbers were ridiculous for a freshman and it’s only because he got so little PT that a slew of P6s weren’t tripping over themselves to get him out of the portal.

His film — especially his lefty spin move and craftiness around the rim — remind me of a bigger, stronger Ryan Pearson. Strongly suspect he’s gonna eat the A-10’s lunch.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I really like the depth and flexibility of this roster. I could see situations where Newton and Hall could play the 4 and 5. Those same guys could probably play the 2 if they had to. Amari Kelly could probably bump down to the 4 if Malik or Pavrette are productive or if we need some extra interior defense. We should be as deep 2-5 as any squad I can remember, especially if Ball is ready to come in and knock down some shots. That type of competition for minutes can only be good for us.
Okay, honest question guys. I DO NOT mean this to be negative at all, but just wanting to get your input. I am super psyched for next season, but how do these recruits differ from all the other tall atheletic wing guys we had when Hewitt was here and we were losing?
Again, just trying to be a better informed fan. Thanks!

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Okay, honest question guys. I DO NOT mean this to be negative at all, but just wanting to get your input. I am super psyched for next season, but how do these recruits differ from all the other tall atheletic wing guys we had when Hewitt was here and we were losing?
Again, just trying to be a better informed fan. Thanks!
Paul Hewitt was successful his first two years here because he inherited Coach L's players. Pearson, Morrison, Allen, etc. Those guys knew how to play. When Coach L's guys graduated Hewitt brought in his famous 6'7" lineup of playground guys (AO) and dope smoking idiots (Copes). He won 24 and 22 games with Coach L's guys. With his own guys we won 11 and 9 games respectively. I don't really remember him having a plan, direction, or strategy for the program. IMO Hewitt did not know how to evaluate talent properly, after all he was getting paid by Georgia Tech to not coach. At GT he got lucky with guys like Chris Bosh who took him to the NCAA Final 4 one year. I liken it to Barry Switzer winning a Super Bowl with a Cowboys team built by Jimmy Johnson. I don't think you'll ever hear Barry Switzer's name in relation to the Hall of Fame.

Will TS's guys be better? Time, as always, will tell. He has shown me, in a very short time, that he has a plan and a focus. He is recruiting guards, wings, and centers not just relying on random 6'7" guys. Some of TS's may fizzle out and not contribute much. Some may become studs. TS has a desire that I never saw in Hewitt. TS has brought in experienced assistants unlike Hewitt who brought in the likes of Roland Houston who couldn't formulate a thought much less a game plan. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Paul Hewitt was successful his first two years here because he inherited Coach L's players. Pearson, Morrison, Allen, etc. Those guys knew how to play. When Coach L's guys graduated Hewitt brought in his famous 6'7" lineup of playground guys (AO) and dope smoking idiots (Copes). He won 24 and 22 games with Coach L's guys. With his own guys we won 11 and 9 games respectively. I don't really remember him having a plan, direction, or strategy for the program. IMO Hewitt did not know how to evaluate talent properly, after all he was getting paid by Georgia Tech to not coach. At GT he got lucky with guys like Chris Paul who took him to the NCAA Final 4 one year. I liken it to Barry Switzer winning a Super Bowl with a Cowboys team built by Jimmy Johnson. I don't think you'll ever hear Barry Switzer's name in relation to the Hall of Fame.

Will TS's guys be better? Time, as always, will tell. He has shown me, in a very short time, that he has a plan and a focus. He is recruiting guards, wings, and centers not just relying on random 6'7" guys. Some of TS's may fizzle out and not contribute much. Some may become studs. TS has a desire that I never saw in Hewitt. TS has brought in experienced assistants unlike Hewitt who brought in the likes of Roland Houston who couldn't formulate a thought much less a game plan. My 2 cents.
Thanks. I see your point. And I agree, PH never coached up those guys and character issues probably contributed too.
Yes, TS does seem to have a plan in his recruiting. His assistants so far show grit and a good work ethic. And I do think that Tony will coach from day one.
But most helpful to me was you pointing out that although they are tall and atheletic, Tony is not just recruiting wings.
I appreciate your input.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
BTW, Mason32, it will stop now. Until I have another question these guys can help me understand better.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Paul Hewitt was successful his first two years here because he inherited Coach L's players. Pearson, Morrison, Allen, etc. Those guys knew how to play. When Coach L's guys graduated Hewitt brought in his famous 6'7" lineup of playground guys (AO) and dope smoking idiots (Copes). He won 24 and 22 games with Coach L's guys. With his own guys we won 11 and 9 games respectively. I don't really remember him having a plan, direction, or strategy for the program. IMO Hewitt did not know how to evaluate talent properly, after all he was getting paid by Georgia Tech to not coach. At GT he got lucky with guys like Chris Paul who took him to the NCAA Final 4 one year. I liken it to Barry Switzer winning a Super Bowl with a Cowboys team built by Jimmy Johnson. I don't think you'll ever hear Barry Switzer's name in relation to the Hall of Fame.

Chris Paul played at Wake Forest, you meant to say Chris Bosh, and he wasn’t on that final four team.

I think Hewitt could evaluate talent, he just couldn’t assemble the puzzle and lacked an X&O presence on the bench to help him.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Chris Paul played at Wake Forest, you meant to say Chris Bosh, and he wasn’t on that final four team.

I think Hewitt could evaluate talent, he just couldn’t assemble the puzzle and lacked an X&O presence on the bench to help him.
Thanks. LOL.

NewPatriot

Starter

It sounds like Skinn is going Mason into a 1/2, 3/4, full court pressure team. If it's the case then forget about winning pretty..it'd gonna be ugly at times...but...it will make Mason at contender again if team buys in.