2023 Kenner Summer League Thread

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Any word on any of our guys from Kenner yet? I know most years it’s a crapshoot and guys don’t necessarily show up for all/most games, but hadn’t seen anything other than one tweet for Mason players.

Maybe us not having anyone go off at Kenner might be a blessing in disguise? Seems like whenever someone has a great summer there it’s not translated to success for them in the season more often than not.
I'm giving thought to going on Saturday to see Hoop Magic at 3:30. I would like to see Hall and Maddox in particular. Lots going on so not 100% sure I'll get there.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Too much Bed, Bath, & Beyond...maybe Home Depot?
200w.gif

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Looks like I'll be heading down Sunday to see Ball at 1PM then Hall and Maddox at 2:15 PM, assuming they actually show up to play. I will most likely be at The Tombs beforehand to "warm up" for the day. I'll likely report stats or observations when I get back for what they are worth. All stats/observations must be taken with a grain of salt given the nature of play. After all Anali O and Elvis N, just to name two, had awesome summer stats. ;)

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Went to the 1pm game to watch Haynes and all I saw him do was sit on the bench. Caught 1 AJ dunk in the 2nd game and left. Kenner sucks now. Ever since they only allow 2 players of the same team to play together it has been down hill. Games are so disjointed and players don't show up.

Came in the middle of the 1st half of the 1pm game. Haynes sat on the bench the rest of the game. Their coach played some sorry a** tall white kid from GW who blew about 10 bunny layups. At one point, when I saw him blow 3 bunny layups in a row, I stared to yell PUT IN HAYNES. Haynes heard me, looked over, laughed and pointed at me. Kenner later tweeted that sorry a** kid scored 21 pts and was POG. Complete BS, I saw him score 1 FT the entire time. Kenner is a POS now and I have no idea what their agenda is. F*ck Kenner!

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Went to the 1pm game to watch Haynes and all I saw him do was sit on the bench. Caught 1 AJ dunk in the 2nd game and left. Kenner sucks now. Ever since they only allow 2 players of the same team to play together it has been down hill. Games are so disjointed and players don't show up.

Came in the middle of the 1st half of the 1pm game. Haynes sat on the bench the rest of the game. Their coach played some sorry a** tall white kid from GW who blew about 10 bunny layups. At one point, when I saw him blow 3 bunny layups in a row, I stared to yell PUT IN HAYNES. Haynes heard me, looked over, laughed and pointed at me. Kenner later tweeted that sorry a** kid scored 21 pts and was POG. Complete BS, I saw him score 1 FT the entire time. Kenner is a POS now and I have no idea what their agenda is. F*ck Kenner!
Tell us how you really feel

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
@Mason2005 you are spot on. I have been going to Kenner for years and I have to agree the quality of play today was the worst I have ever seen. No team play, no passing, no defense. Everybody is out to get what they can get for themselves. The point guard for The Tombs, #55, had no interest in finding a wide open teammate, see Austin Ball. He was more interested in turning it over and driving into the paint against 6'9" guys who swatted it every time. It was a clear case of the "Give Me The Ball and Go to Hell" offense.

The only positive from the day was Austin Ball. He was diving on the floor for loose balls, penetrated into the lane, and seemed to just care about the game in general as opposed to the entirety of the rest of the team. He was the bright spot in a deep hole of sh&tty play not even worthy of your local playground. He was aware of time, score, and situation. He was wide open on countless occasions and could have had much better numbers. FYI, he had 11 points on 5-8 shooting (1-3 from 3), had 2 rebounds, 1 turnover, 2 steals, and was responsible for a "team" ball gained. He also hit a 3/4 court 3 that did not count because it came after the buzzer, but showed he knew the game situation. I was impressed by his play and think we may have a real good player coming our way.

The second game, which was supposed to feature Hall and Maddux was a waste of time and energy. No effort, no care, no nothing. I left after about 4 minutes as they were down 23-5. Nothing good to say about anything or anyone involved. Note to doubters, READ nothing into this comment. Don't take it with a grain of salt, use a salt lick.

Today was most likely my last trip to Kenner. A real waste of time..... Well, at least until next summer ;) when the pain of today will be a distant memory and I'll make the trek down in the hopes of seeing future Mason greatness.

Side note, Ryan Motombo - son of Dikembe, is a real zero. The kid can hardly walk and chew gum at the same time. Clearly recruited and on the Georgetown roster because of his dad. One reason why the Hoyas have fallen on hard times, too much reliance on past glory.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
@Mason2005 you are spot on. I have been going to Kenner for years and I have to agree the quality of play today was the worst I have ever seen. No team play, no passing, no defense. Everybody is out to get what they can get for themselves. The point guard for The Tombs, #55, had no interest in finding a wide open teammate, see Austin Ball. He was more interested in turning it over and driving into the paint against 6'9" guys who swatted it every time. It was a clear case of the "Give Me The Ball and Go to Hell" offense.

The only positive from the day was Austin Ball. He was diving on the floor for loose balls, penetrated into the lane, and seemed to just care about the game in general as opposed to the entirety of the rest of the team. He was the bright spot in a deep hole of sh&tty play not even worthy of your local playground. He was aware of time, score, and situation. He was wide open on countless occasions and could have had much better numbers. FYI, he had 11 points on 5-8 shooting (1-3 from 3), had 2 rebounds, 1 turnover, 2 steals, and was responsible for a "team" ball gained. He also hit a 3/4 court 3 that did not count because it came after the buzzer, but showed he knew the game situation. I was impressed by his play and think we may have a real good player coming our way.

The second game, which was supposed to feature Hall and Maddux was a waste of time and energy. No effort, no care, no nothing. I left after about 4 minutes as they were down 23-5. Nothing good to say about anything or anyone involved. Note to doubters, READ nothing into this comment. Don't take it with a grain of salt, use a salt lick.

Today was most likely my last trip to Kenner. A real waste of time..... Well, at least until next summer ;) when the pain of today will be a distant memory and I'll make the trek down in the hopes of seeing future Mason greatness.

Side note, Ryan Motombo - son of Dikembe, is a real zero. The kid can hardly walk and chew gum at the same time. Clearly recruited and on the Georgetown roster because of his dad. One reason why the Hoyas have fallen on hard times, too much reliance on past glory.
Funny thing is I told my wife this will be my last Kenner game ever and she said, you said that last year....Haha

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Very sad to hear that things are that bad as far as game play and “coaching”.

The “2 players from each school” rule has been in place for as long as I started going to the Kenner in the 90’s.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

A real shame, remember going down when Iverson and Langley played…some very good games.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Very sad to hear that things are that bad as far as game play and “coaching”.

The “2 players from each school” rule has been in place for as long as I started going to the Kenner in the 90’s.
Didnt it used to be that schools could have one main team with up to 4 players and then the rest were scattered amongst the other teams?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Didnt it used to be that schools could have one main team with up to 4 players and then the rest were scattered amongst the other teams?
I believe it was only 2 returning players, but new players and transfers were ok… so we always had a team (M&A) with two returners and all the freshmen on one team.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was stunned by the lack of hands and footwork by all the big men I saw yesterday, several of whom need to hit the salad bar as opposed to the "Hungry Heifer" all you can eat bar. They were clumsy and ineffective across the board so I am encouraged by Kelly's production. I'll praise Ball once again for hustling like the game mattered and trying to get others involved. I loved his grit.