2021-2022 Mason roster

I normally try to avoid constructive threads, but thought we could track the roster as it takes shape here...discuss potential transfers, eventually rotations, etc. Let me know if we have confirmed interest in any PORTAL guys other than our own...

HERE

G. R.Polite (So.)
G. J.Hartwell (Sr.)
G. X.Johnson (Jr.)
G. M. Gray (Fr.)
G. D.Cooper (Sr.) --from Morehead St.
G. S.Shelton (Fr.) (Walk-On)
G. C.Tucker (Fr.) (Walk-On)
G-F. D.Schwartz (Sr. +)--from Colorado
G-F. D.Gaines (Jr.)--from Tennessee
F. O.Frazier (So.)
F. M.Henry (So.)
F. T.J.Gadsden (Fr.)
F. J.Nichols (So.) (Walk-on)
F. B.Jones (Fr.)
F-C. J.Kabimba (Jr.)
F-C. J.Oduro (Jr.)

GMU IN PORTAL

G-F. I. Boyd (Sr. +)

PRESUMED GONE (parentheses confirmed)

Calixte (Bryant)
Haidara (St. Francis Brooklyn)
Greene (South Florida)
Wilson (South Carolina)
Miller (Miami, Fla.)
Kolek (Marquette)
Rehnstrom (Navy)
McCray
Tempchin
Konnor
Mbye-bye

Attachments

• 799A26AE-321D-4D8B-962E-DEBB36119DEB.jpeg
    799A26AE-321D-4D8B-962E-DEBB36119DEB.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 18,111
Last edited:
OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
I don't think so. It may be a longer shot than the rest, but I don't think he has ruled anything out at this point.

Is he in the portal? I am just assuming he's gone if not, though he could always return. I guess only when I put it in parenthesis should we consider it done...and I'll add "presumed"

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is he in the portal? I am just assuming he's gone if not, though he could always return. I guess only when I put it in parenthesis should we consider it done...and I'll add "presumed"
Yeah he's not in the portal yet, but most guys who have been leaving/going pro have announced it at this point, so that's the only thing that leads me to say that the door isn't completely closed yet. I think presumed is fair.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The thing that glaringly stands out to me is how poorly many of our "HERE" players shoot the ball. Yes, I know some were only freshman and they need to adjust. The incoming freshman are unknowns. We need shooters!!!!!!!

Polite - 29.3%
Hartwell - 38.3% last year. (37.7% over 3 years)
XJ - 32.3% last year. (39.1% over his 2 years)
Frazier - 38.2%

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
The thing that glaringly stands out to me is how poorly many of our "HERE" players shoot the ball. Yes, I know some were only freshman and they need to adjust. The incoming freshman are unknowns. We need shooters!!!!!!!

Polite - 29.3%
Hartwell - 38.3% last year. (37.7% over 3 years)
XJ - 32.3% last year. (39.1% over his 2 years)
Frazier - 38.2%

A lot of youth, but definitely something that needs to improve, especially from the PG spot.

I think those guys will do better, but especially with Kolek thought of us as "likely" to go, shooting is an obvious dire need.

Never have enough of it, really.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we can get a constant shooter out of the PG spot, maybe Polite comes up closer to 35-37%, you could potentially use a guy like Hartwell as a "off the bench, 5-10 minute, instant scorer" type.

At this point I don't know if XJ or Polite will play starter minutes. XJ was hurt, and no idea if he is still hurt.

Then you add in a guy like Mike Gray.

We certainly have a lot of potential PGs but no idea who is really going to be "the guy" at this point.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
I think Paulsen did a better job, late in the year, of at least rotating these guys to apply some full court ball pressure whole game. Really helped versus GW both times, second half, IMO.

With English presumably set to apply more defensive pressure than DP, I think we can afford to not have an a-plus shooter at the one, but we definitely need defense and ball-handling.

Can't get by with undersized at the 1,2 with suspect shooting at both though. Anymore at least.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Paulsen did a better job, late in the year, of at least rotating these guys to apply some full court ball pressure whole game. Really helped versus GW both times, second half, IMO.

With English presumably set to apply more defensive pressure than DP, I think we can afford to not have an a-plus shooter at the one, but we definitely need defense and ball-handling.

Can't get by with undersized at the 1,2 with suspect shooting at both though. Anymore at least.

Polite was the only PG who showed any ability to stay in front of his man — for that reason alone I think he’s the leader in the clubhouse

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Agreed. Polite made a lot of good strides at the end of the year so I think he could be a nice fit at the 1. That said, they need some good defense at the 2 as well. Kolek was alright I thought at that position.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don't understand the whole senior issue, especially after a redshirt year. If you graduated, get on with your life. If you didn't graduate, why the hell not? If AJ takes another year somewhere else would that make him a 6th year college student? Sorry, too long when provided with the opportunity for a free education. Go to Europe, go to the G League, or get a job. Yes, I know I'm old but that's the way sh$t used to be done. You used to be expected to graduate and get a job. :bricks: Cue the hate and debate for those that simply can't resist it................

FreeGunston12

All-American
I don't understand the whole senior issue, especially after a redshirt year. If you graduated, get on with your life. If you didn't graduate, why the hell not? If AJ takes another year somewhere else would that make him a 6th year college student? Sorry, too long when provided with the opportunity for a free education. Go to Europe, go to the G League, or get a job. Yes, I know I'm old but that's the way sh$t used to be done. You used to be expected to graduate and get a job. :bricks: Cue the hate and debate for those that simply can't resist it................
Simply put, a master's degree is the new bachelor's degree.