2016 Recruiting

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
We went to the Final Four with guys who'd had both A-10 & bigger offers.

Don't think that CAA was only option for any of the starting 5.

SF Tyler Scanlon of local Westfield HS had an offer from Mason previously...and an offer from Bucknell when Paulsen was there. (and Rice, I believe)

I would assume Paulsen would continue recruiting him at Mason.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I have seen this guy play as he goes to my son's high school. It would be great to get him.

Hopefully Paulsen and his staff will, other than the rare exception, re-focus our program on signing skilled basketball players instead of raw athletes.

Coaches with P-5 backgrounds like Bozo believe you can take a bunch of tall, long-limbed guys who can run fast and jump high and teach them to play basketball on an elite level.

We now know that is a recipe for epic failure.

Players like Tyler Scanlon -- or, for that matter that 6-7 Paul Rowley kid from Loudoun who signed with W&M -- are never going to make your eyes pop out of your head because of their pure athleticism. But they know how to play the game.

Our program's greatest success was achieved mostly on the backs of guys who were erroneously considered too short or too slow or too whatever else to play in an elite league.

We need to get back to that ASAP.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Where is his staff??

I get the sense that there is a pause to see if any of his assistants are being considered for the Bucknell head coach job. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of them hired as assistants here if they aren't.

Hopefully Paulsen and his staff will, other than the rare exception, re-focus our program on signing skilled basketball players instead of raw athletes.

Coaches with P-5 backgrounds like Bozo believe you can take a bunch of tall, long-limbed guys who can run fast and jump high and teach them to play basketball on an elite level.

We now know that is a recipe for epic failure.

Players like Tyler Scanlon -- or, for that matter that 6-7 Paul Rowley kid from Loudoun who signed with W&M -- are never going to make your eyes pop out of your head because of their pure athleticism. But they know how to play the game.

Our program's greatest success was achieved mostly on the backs of guys who were erroneously considered too short or too slow or too whatever else to play in an elite league.

We need to get back to that ASAP.

I think Hewitt recognized this at the end (also recruiting more shooting outside of Holloway). Way to late for him.

I think we were so focused on getting ready for the big, bad A-10 that we went the way of the Okoloji at the expense of the above.

As always, a mix is preferable...

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You forgot: blue collar, high energy, high basketball IQ, high motor, good athlete not elite, plays well with his physical tools, makes the extra pass, great court vision, and yes deceptively athletic.

To be fair....every man should learn to at well with their physical tools.

Broads, Buicks, and Buckley

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/500275?referrer_id=1566508:

"Painter said he plans on visiting Penn State for the Blue/White football scrimmage on April 18.

Penn State wasn’t the only school to extend an offer this week, with new George Mason head coach Dave Paulsen doing the same on April 2. Paulsen got to know Painter while he was head coach at Bucknell, though they weren’t one of the eight other schools that had previously offered.

'He said they really wanted me at Bucknell, but they knew I was going to get some higher-level offers,' he said. 'Now that he got the job at George Mason, they want me to come there, they said I was one of their top guys that they liked at Bucknell, but now that they’re at George Mason, they think it’s a better level for me.'

Holy Cross, Boston University, La Salle, Lafayette, George Washington, American, Lehigh and Marist are the other schools that have offered Painter, who projects as a stretch-four at the higher levels but could play right away as a back-to-the-basket big man if he stays in the Patriot League.

When he was offered by La Salle and GW last year, he was vocal about his interest in the Atlantic 10, but he’s certainly intrigued by the leagues of the majority of the schools that are recruiting him.

'We’ll just see where it goes right now,' he said. 'The Atlantic 10 definitely, I still like the Patriot League and if more of these Big 10 schools [offer], that’s a pretty good league for big men.'” --Josh Verlin

Last edited:

Dawgs99

Starter
Seems like everyone has been offering Painter over the last few weeks, going be very difficult to get him on board. If DP can land this kid i'll be damn impressed.