2015-16 season predictions

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My prediction. Rough season, .500 at best. Just a big transition year.

However....we will actually look like a competent team out there for a change.

That is probably reasonable, although if you look at the teams we will play and those that we should beat but lost to last year we could get above .500.

If Paulsen gets the team to play an effective offensive scheme leveraging our players well and enhances our defense we could do fairly well. A lot will come down to how he addresses our biggest gap... Point guard play. If he could work some strategery with that...well good things will happen.

Broads, Buicks, and Buckley

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Man this is weird. A competent coach is here!!. Im gonna say we see a major improvement next year. Lots of movement in pants so ladys in front watch out!!

DP has it. I cant prove it, but I just see it. I would run thru a wall for him.

As for the team performance, I expect DP to put guys in positions where they can score alot easier than they are used to. This small tweak could ignite our scoring. Once given proper directions Holloway, IJ, Royal, Thompson, even Moore could explode. I really believe that. This roster played hard, just in the wrong direction. Alot of potential. Im gonna say ........16 wins next year. Coaching matters!

Now lets get some Assistants!!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to be disagreeable, but point guard was not the biggest weakness on our team last year.

We were mostly terrible at the SF spot on both ends of the floor.

That's a function of the fact that Hewitt signed too many PFs, but also the fact that both of our freshman wings were sidelined for most of the season.

Marquise is and will be fine as our starting PG. We need some guys who can shoot the damn ball.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I was pleased with freshman Isaiah Jackson at the SF spot, who evidently played with a foot injury during the season - see:

zayjack44I had to get surgery on my foot @jay__tee3 from a injury I had through the year.. @lilbetz3@sandroshka

It makes little difference, of course, but for the purposes of my post, I considered Isaiah a SG.

I also was very pleased with his development as the season went along, and am looking forward to watching him for the next 3 years.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I expect a significant improvement on the court also, it seems like we found a great coach to take over the reins and never bought into the lack of talent argument. Thompson, Jenkins, Moore, Holloway and Jackson have all shown enough flashes that each one appears to have what it takes to be an A-10 level quality starter.

If that's not the case though, and it very well may not be, willing to give Coach Paulsen enough time to right the ship. Despite the misgivings I had about the Hewitt hire from day 1, the record will show the worst critique I ever said about him through the first two seasons was "not impressed" and didn't call for his firing until the last game of the third season had been played.

Even if Coach Paulsen tanks, which I don't think he will, I still won't fault Edwards for the hire as the process seems to be really well done this time around and a good hire based upon what is known at the time.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I expect Coach Paulsen to do what he's done everywhere else, which is win.

And by that, I don't mean "win" like people used to talk about with Hewitt, who stopped winning big (for the most part) after he left the ideal situation he inherited at Siena.

Paulsen is a winner. He knows how to build a successful program and I'm extremely confident he'll do just that at Mason.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
For historical perspective, Larranaga went 9-18 in his first year at Mason after Westhead had won 10, 7, 11, and 1o in his 4 years as head coach.

In fairness, Larranaga inherited a team with no proven scorers (George Evans was an unknown at the time) but he recruited Miskiri and Herring who started playing in January. In his second year, we went to the NCAAs.