WP: What Happened to George Mason Basketball?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You ever been interviewed by a newspaper reporter? its a conversation, so you don't know what they'll ask, get to craft your perfect response through your PR team, or pick which quotes the reporter will use.

QD, a man of TOC's experience has been interviewed many, many times. He should be able to speak off the cuff without sounding like a total rube, but I guess that is expecting too much.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
QD, a man of TOC's experience has been interviewed many, many times. He should be able to speak off the cuff without sounding like a total rube, but I guess that is expecting too much.

Agreed - but sometimes you make an overly honest statement and get caught out of context.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There are no guarantees, however what this does make me feel comfortable about, is that if and when, we have a coaching search, it will be a full and thorough search leaving no stone unturned.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What other schools will be in the market for a coach? If not alot of bcs, then maybe the pool will be more talent rich.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sucks we burned the bridge to the OCM tree though.

You lost me here, GS. Are you claiming a former Coach L assistant wouldn't return to Mason if offered the head coaching job? If so, I don't buy that for a second. Our president, AD and league have been upgraded since they left, so I think Caputo, Konkol or Cherry would jump at the job.

Dawgs99

Starter
Just off that list, arent we one of the top jobs? Being in the A10, plus our location is a big plus. Sucks we burned the bridge to the OCM tree though.

This is such a BS comment...anyone responsible for Coach L leaving are now long gone. I don't buy that a quality candidate off the Coach L tree would not want to come back home and make things right. I really don't want anyone from L's tree anyway....I'd like to go out and get someone who won't have to live in the shadow of his former boss.

Last edited:
We could get Cherry but his family may not be up for another urban return. JJ is in the area hawking his basketball wares, and I think any of L's assistants would take the job with all the people here that continue to give L oral sex on demand.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You lost me here, GS. Are you claiming a former Coach L assistant wouldn't return to Mason if offered the head coaching job? If so, I don't buy that for a second. Our president, AD and league have been upgraded since they left, so I think Caputo, Konkol or Cherry would jump at the job.

It's a little gray for the current L assistants. Cherry might not care and is probably the most qualified of the bunch as of today. Cherry and Ahmad Dorestt back in Fairfax? I kinda like it. However, you can't underestimate L's influence in the matter. Jerod Haase is another unc guy and head at UAB. Seems to be doing okay there. Like Tom has said before, I don't envy Brads position at the moment. With increased investment per the Goff article, there are many moving parts in play here, the most important being the next coach.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Why waste so much ink on that article?

Whats wrong with Mason Basketball can be summed up by this:
220px-GT_Hewitt.jpg

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Interesting that Goff was not at the game last night.

Goff was covering the GW game which was at the same time as ours. Generally he has covered our home games only occasionally the last 2 years wit,h GW's program on the rise. Goff's beat seems to be soccer (both United and local teams in NCAA tournament), GW, and us pretty much in that order.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Goff was covering the GW game which was at the same time as ours. Generally he has covered our home games only occasionally the last 2 years wit,h GW's program on the rise. Goff's beat seems to be soccer (both United and local teams in NCAA tournament), GW, and us pretty much in that order.

A few seasons ago it was USMNT, United, GMU then GW

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GW actually tipped at 2pm.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
GW actually tipped at 2pm.

My mistake. Although I'm guessing it would be quite rare for the same reporter to cover multiple home town games on the same day even when logistically possible (as yesterday's games were). At least I'm not remembering multiple bylines in the paper by the same person on the same day.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My mistake. Although I'm guessing it would be quite rare for the same reporter to cover multiple home town games on the same day even when logistically possible (as yesterday's games were). At least I'm not remembering multiple bylines in the paper by the same person on the same day.
just giving you a hard time. Had he not written the article on us, I would have had no expectation that he would have been in attendance.
Kathy Orton from the Post had a few multiple bylines a while back when AU and GW would be playing the same day at home at different times. But it is rare.