Who Will Be Mason's Next Women's Basketball Coach?

FreeGunston12

All-American
What I'm trying to say is that we don't appear to recruit our area very well AND there is no hiding talent in the DMV AND we have no history of success to help us win recruiting battles. The talent is here but this area is poached by every program worth their salt. My theory is that our area is more picked over than some other places. GW is also much better in Women's basketball, so there is more local A-10 competition there.

Secondly, the standard deviation of talent (if it was quantifiable) seems to be much larger than in men's basketball. That is to say, the average women's basketball player (and program) is much further away from the great women's basketball player (and program) than the average men's basketball player is from the great men's basketball player. This leads to a lack of parity, which keeps us stuck near the bottom.
Think about DP. He can't win recruiting battles. So how does he win games? He has to find the recruits that are overlooked. He has to have a really keen eye when scouting. And then his coaching has to make up for any disparity in talent.

That doesn't really exist in women's basketball from what I can tell. The talent stands out right away to everyone, so recruits don't really get overlooked. And then the talent disparity between programs can be so much bigger that it is impossible to overcome with good coaching.

I don't know, maybe I have too negative a view with women's basketball? But this is the way I see it.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Think about DP. He can't win recruiting battles. So how does he win games? He has to find the recruits that are overlooked. He has to have a really keen eye when scouting. And then his coaching has to make up for any disparity in talent.

That doesn't really exist in women's basketball from what I can tell. The talent stands out right away to everyone, so recruits don't really get overlooked. And then the talent disparity between programs can be so much bigger that it is impossible to overcome with good coaching.

I don't know, maybe I have to negative a view with women's basketball? But this is the way I see it.
I think you are correct
look at the top 25 ranked teams in women's bball
look at players #6 thru #10
they could be starters on teams #26 thru #347
but they choose the good schools to be on winning teams, even if it means they must sit behind others for a year a two before getting serious playing time

On Twitter four days ago Coach Blair-Lewis said she "landed a commitment on day two" but didn't say who that was.

Anybody know who that would be and jeez what a contrast to the guys side...

Older than dirt

Four-star Recruit
Mason WBB team in the last 20 or more years has had to contend with some superior women's team. Namely JMU, ODU, Delaware and George Washington. These schools own their conferences for many years. Athletic, quick and talented women go to the yearly high ranking schools. Until Mason finds a coach that can teach these three things, Mason women going to the NCAA will be sporadic at best.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fourth Estate comparing English's contract with Blair-Lewis (300,000 base salary, up to 232,000 in incentives).

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Vanessa Blair Retweeted

Mason Women’s Basketball
@MasonWBB

·
5h

“It’s an unbelievable opportunity. When [George] Mason called, it was a chance for me to step up to a new challenge, it was a new rebuild, but also to come back home to do it.” - @CoachBlair24

Quote Tweet

0XoVw8q0_normal.jpg

ESPN Women's Hoops

@ESPN_WomenHoop
· 8h

In 2021, 51% of men's basketball coaches and 47% of women's coaches hired have been Black. (via @TheUndefeated)