What I Like About Jalen Jenkins

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Obviously, there's the attitude and hustle. But, more importantly IMO, he evidently accepts that he's currently a role player. Does the name Paris Bennett ring a bell? Would the Patriots play better if more players were contented being role players?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Just said in another thread, Bennett might be a reason we suck so bad this year. He wasn't a big factor on the court but he was a captain and no doubt a leader on this team.

More on-topic, Jenkins has length and more than once has used his size to get open or pass for an assist. He's good on the box out as well, but those lanky arms are what interest me most.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hes a "tough" kid. I saw him go after a rebound against 3 Oklahoma players yesterday. I can't remember the last time I saw J2 or Copes go after the ball with the same determination.

smccart5

Starter
Ansolutely love the intensity and how i've seen him get a few really tough rebounds with 3 guys around him and somehow manage to get to the free throw line.

I also like that he's shown a decent ability to handle the ball. He is not a total liability if he gets the ball at mid court when we're trying to break a press.

I think he and Moore should start.

Speaking of Moore- he is awesome. On the first possession he was in yesterday he got a defensive rebound and starting sprinting to create a fast break. The play ended in free throws for us i believe.

The Great PATSby

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
From yesterday's game... right after a timeout was called before the players headed to the bench. At mid-court, Jenkins got in J2's face and said "Man up!" The fact that you have a RS Freshman telling a 5th year senior to stop being a pussy shows this kid is going to be a leader and a star.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
From yesterday's game... right after a timeout was called before the players headed to the bench. At mid-court, Jenkins got in J2's face and said "Man up!" The fact that you have a RS Freshman telling a 5th year senior to stop being a pussy shows this kid is going to be a leader and a star.

It's also fairly telling about the 5th year senior's lack of assertiveness -- but we already knew that.

Jenkins needs to start and play as many minutes as his endurance (and foul limit) will allow. He is a strong, explosive presence on a team sorely lacking in both strength and explosiveness.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Jenkins = effort, intensity, results. He should start. He will only get better, I forget at times that he is only a freshman.

Harry

Starter
Jenkins reminds me of a smaller college-level Dennis Rodman. Not big and bulky but incredibly strong with a good basketball IQ. And like was pointed out, he has a surprising ability to handle the ball!

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
First the negative for Jalen at ODU: 0 assists, 6 turnovers, & fouled out.
Now the positive: 9 rebounds & a blocked shot in 21 minutes last night, & currently leads the Patriots in rebounds per game (5.0) & total blocked shots (11).

IMO, the best personnel decision that Coach Hewitt has made here was redshirting Jalen last season.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I like Jenkins. He's not a pussy like Wright, Williams, etc.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Sherrod is no kitty cat. He is just in a funk. We had better hope he can get out of it.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
J2 can be productive against the right team. Just need to know when to use him.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Think back on Sherrod's career here. He is streaky. That doesn't make him a kitty cat. He has dunked on some big dudes, he has won games for us, and once he comes out of his funk he will win more for us.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Think back on Sherrod's career here. He is streaky. That doesn't make him a kitty cat. He has dunked on some big dudes, he has won games for us, and once he comes out of his funk he will win more for us.

Not sure if he's going to get out of his "funk" at this point. It seems to be more than a funk. Yea, he dropped 25 on ODU but still didn't shoot well from the field at all. He should have been able to get to the line A LOT last night, granted the refs probably wouldn't have called any fouls, in a game like that. He appears to have checked out, and it's really disappointing.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator

Who cares? That puss hasn't played in a meaningful game in 4 years. I wish he was gone yesterday.