Attachments

• 54EB8049-0010-4205-A06A-76403271640B.jpeg
    54EB8049-0010-4205-A06A-76403271640B.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 41,279
Last edited by a moderator:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So he has one year with us or does he have 2022-2023 plus the extra Covid year as a possibility?

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So I expect him to make every shot now, especially against St Joes. :p

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In no particular order:
Polite/Dinkins/TBD
Cooper/Bailey/Fernandez
Gaines/Fernandez
Jones/TBD We really need a kick a$$ 4 through the portal or recruiting.
Oduro/Henry/Oduro

We need more if next year is going to be any different than last.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree, but it's difficult to 'recruit' a backup.
For sure, especially at this stage. But there can always be an open competition, guys will get hurt, have hot/cold spells etc. The more guys who can play, the pressure there is on the rest of the team to step up to compete and that's a good thing.

Also, the more depth means that whatever Dinkins and Fernandez gives is icing on the cake at this juncture. If guys perform theres no reason why there wont be 8-9 capable guys contributing in some games.

Stating obvious here. Hopefully next is a Veteran PG and a backup capable big.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In no particular order:
Polite/Dinkins/TBD
Cooper/Bailey/Fernandez
Gaines/Fernandez
Oduro/Henry/Oduro

Move Gaines back to the 4 spot and Jones as the second center behind Oduro. Cooper and Bailey will start together on the wings, I bet. With the recent offers of Agee and Nnadi, it looks like English is trying to find that 4, but maybe more as a development project.

The aim should be to have Gaines starting at the three his final season

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In no particular order:
Polite/Dinkins/TBD
Cooper/Bailey/Fernandez
Gaines/Fernandez
Oduro/Henry/Oduro

Bailey was in the portal for less than 12 hours. I guarantee you CKE has a couple other guys getting ready to #rockwithus . Patience my friend this is what we wanted (a roster clean up from bad basketball players)

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
If you take last year out of the equation, I'm assuming most of us would be doing backflips after this announcement. A top 100 4 star kid out of high school with a crazy amount of power 5 offers. Averages 6.7 and 7.4 his first two years in the PAC12, then goes for 10.9 his third year in the SEC. Again, backflips.

I'm not sure what happened last year. Reuniting with English can only be a positive. His game seems similar to Schwartz - he's mostly a shooter from 3 and midrange. Doesn't seem to finish at the rim a lot. Sounds like a great locker room team first guy.

The big negative is the significant drop last year in numbers. If those numbers stay true, he'll be a depth guy who can give us a spark here and there. If he goes back to anything like his first three years, he's a starter who will lead us in scoring some nights. It buys some time and takes some pressure off of Justyn, but at the same time he's only here for 1 year.

I like the move. B+/A-

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what happened last year. Reuniting with English can only be a positive. His game seems similar to Schwartz - he's mostly a shooter from 3 and midrange. Doesn't seem to finish at the rim a lot. Sounds like a great locker room team first guy.

The big negative is the significant drop last year in numbers. If those numbers stay true, he'll be a depth guy who can give us a spark here and there. If he goes back to anything like his first three years, he's a starter who will lead us in scoring some nights. It buys some time and takes some pressure off of Justyn, but at the same time he's only here for 1 year.

I like the move. B+/A-

As @gmujim92 indicated earlier, he was playing behind a rotation of Santiago Vescovi, Kennedy Chandler, Zakai Ziegler, and Jordan James. Vescovi was First Team All SEC and led the conference in 3Pt%. Chandler was Second Team as a true freshman and will go in the first round of the NBA draft if he declares. Ziegler was on the SEC All-Defensive team. James is a former 5-Star do-it-all glue guy.

And then behind all of them, he was competing w/Justin Powell an Auburn transfer who was 38% from the 3pt line this year and 42% last year.

I'm a fan of the move as well. Not only has Bailey shown he can be a very solid player, but even when his minutes last year went from 24.8 to 9.6 as a Senior, he remained a positive locker room presence. I wish it was more than a one-year rental player, but I think in that year we'll see positive things on the court, plus get positive things in practice and the locker-room that we don't necessarily see.

Like a lot of 3Pt shooters, he can be streaky. Went 3-16 (19%) from the arc in a 4-game stretch last season immediately followed by going 19-34 (56%) over the next four games. He's not primarily a drive to the basket guy, but def. can when it's there and defense and rebounding have improved quit a bit after three seasons of practice under Barnes.

I've been hoping for this one for a minute.
I'm hoping we end up w/Victor Bailey, former teammate of Gaines at UT.
I also imagine some solid transfers coming in. Would love to see us add Victor Bailey from UT. I mean...someone was right about Gaines early on. (pat's own back)

Last edited: