Welcome New AD Marvin Lewis

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I gave honest feedback. At this point most of the folks in the AD who know me have already heard my thoughts and this survey was nothing more than beating a dead horse. However, I look forward to seeing the results and seeing the plan be executed over the coming years with communication on tangible results.

That last part is key to me. "This is what we are doing, this is where we are, this is how you can be part of it".

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I gave honest feedback. At this point most of the folks in the AD who know me have already heard my thoughts and this survey was nothing more than beating a dead horse. However, I look forward to seeing the results and seeing the plan be executed over the coming years with communication on tangible results.

That last part is key to me. "This is what we are doing, this is where we are, this is how you can be part of it".
I find it refreshing that the new AD is trying to create an overarching strategic plan for athletics and is gathering feedback/input to help inform that process.

Have we had anything like that in recent memory? For too long it has seemed like athletics just gets in line behind the university, getting lost within their overall strategy and future planning, and leaving the dept to be reactive more often than not. Having a strategic plan built for athletics that they can use as a guide and form a connective tissue to what the university is doing is awesome.

I hope they share more details on the strategy once they've completed it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Looks like they might be cutting some sports.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm by no means an expert on this topic, but saw there was a lot of buzz on social this past weekend as it relates to JMU's student fees and how much they allocate towards athletics, article below has more detail:

Their current student fees are $5.6k per year with $2.3k of that allocated to athletics. I *think* their fees have to come down to be compliant with VA state law, not sure what that timeline is.

For context, Mason's student fees will be around $3.8k in 2025. For every dollar, 20 cents is allocated towards athletics. I don't want to see Mason raise student fees because the cost of college is absolutely insane, but is there room to grow that % allocation towards athletics? Seems low.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Let’s hope there’s a giant bag of cash sitting just outside the frame of this pic.

IMG_4443.jpeg

And 50 cents to the Patriot Collective lol
The money is clearly out there. Isn’t the key identifying individuals who want athletics to do well? Maybe we could do like a survey or approach these really successful alums on the GMU Wikipedia page and see how they feel about supporting Mason Athletics and specifically men’s basketball