Goodbye Jordan Miller

Masonfan3

Starter
I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but...

In all these posts you can replace “Miller” with “Mar” and you would have the exact same situation we had with Mar during/after last year. How did that work out?

I guess my point is someone always seems to play well - have a good streak or a good month and we all start talking about future all A10, I’ve been as guilty as anyone, but if you look at the track record, we haven’t had an all A10 guy... well, ever!

More likely is Miller comes back down to earth a bit, maybe averages 8 to 10 a game... has a few games where he scores 18 with 10 boards, but also a few 4 point games with 3 rebounds.

It probably deserves another thread and maybe it will be something to look at during the off-season, but to me Miller is someone who playing pretty close to his maximum ability right now. Not saying he can’t get better, but he is producing pretty close to his ceiling right now. I think for us to be successful next year, he just needs to continue playing at his current level. If he can do that, he’s doing his part. He has been playing fantastic. I don’t want to take anything away from him, just not sure you can realistically ask for much more.

Guys like Reuter and AJ are players to me that are not playing anywhere close to their ceiling. They are the guys that need to step up. Like I said, probably a good off-season post... they aren’t the only ones.

While you have a point and I am always scared of the sophomore slump..Miller’s ceiling is so much higher than Mar’s. He is already built like a college 3, handles it a lot better, is a 100% better athlete, and shoots it well. I like Mar but his ceiling is nowhere near Millers. I would be surprised if Miller isn’t at least 2nd team all league next season. He is too smart of a player, plays too hard, and possesses too much athleticism not to be.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I disagree on Miller. It's clear he isn't the option most of the time on offense. But he can and should attack the basket more. Afterall he was known as a slasher in HS and showed glimpse vs gw. I think this area opens up more next year with Hartwell at PG as he is more of a pass first PG. I actually would love to see Mar and Miller in together at the 2 and 3 guard spots respectively. Calixte at 5 and AJ at the 4. We would be 6'7 2-5. If you want to go on a 20pt run, thats your lineup.
I don’t see any way that Greene or Kier wouldn’t be on the floor. I am highly interested in the Mar/Miller setup because it will directly affect the Greene/Kier equation. Assuming Hartwell is running the point, Mar and Miller are the 3/4, and either Calixte/AJ at the 5, are you starting Greene or Kier?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t see any way that Greene or Kier wouldn’t be on the floor. I am highly interested in the Mar/Miller setup because it will directly affect the Greene/Kier equation. Assuming Hartwell is running the point, Mar and Miller are the 3/4, and either Calixte/AJ at the 5, are you starting Greene or Kier?

Starting probably Kier.

I don't see a problem with pushing Greene to coming off the bench if that's what it comes down to. He'll have plenty of floor time coming in for Hartwell, Kier, and Miller.

Or, alternatively, we have to wait two years to see Miller and Mar starting together.

Second alternative is to have Hartwell coming off the bench and have Kier, Greene, Miller, Mar, and Calixte all starting together. That's a much bigger lineup and probably our best rebounding/defensive team. The problem with this lineup is Kier's looseness with the ball and decision making (he did have 9 assists against GW, though). We wouldn't have a secondary ballhandler on the floor, like a Luke Hancock, to take the pressure off Kier (in the way that Luke did for Cam Long). Greene is OK, but I wouldn't trust him against a high pressure team like vcu.

All of this really depends on Miller and Mar and how good they actually are next year. Their size makes having them on the floor as much as possible really enticing, especially together because they are so interchangeable in so many ways, but if they can't outplay Greene or Hartwell for the last starting spot they can't.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

It’s early to assume anything. I think Dave will start the 5 best players regardless of position — if Hartwell is one of them, great, but he’s not gonna start just because some people think we have to have a traditional point guard on the floor.

I will say this: if Goanar has a healthy offseason and relocates his outside shot, there’s no way he’s coming off the bench. He’s too smart and too good defensively — the staff will have him on the floor 30 minutes a game.

Calixte, Mar, Miller, Greene and Kier is my prediction for the 2019-20 opener, with the caveat that a lot can (and probably will) change between now and next November.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s early to assume anything. I think Dave will start the 5 best players regardless of position — if Hartwell is one of them, great, but he’s not gonna start just because some people think we have to have a traditional point guard on the floor.

I will say this: if Goanar has a healthy offseason and relocates his outside shot, there’s no way he’s coming off the bench. He’s too smart and too good defensively — the staff will have him on the floor 30 minutes a game.

Calixte, Mar, Miller, Greene and Kier is my prediction for the 2019-20 opener, with the caveat that a lot can (and probably will) change between now and next November.
Do you see Reuter starting next season? Not whether he should because I think even you agree he should not. But will Paulsen come to his senses?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Would be really nice if Mar found his outside shot next weekend, right? Having Hartwell and Mar coming off the bench both hitting their outside shots would really change the dynamics of this team.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do you see Reuter starting next season? Not whether he should because I think even you agree he should not. But will Paulsen come to his senses?

I think it highly depends on what Reuter does in the offseason. His problems (lack of vertical, footwork, stamina, etc.) can all be improved and we could certainly use his basketball IQ on the floor if physically he can compete. At the same time, he's an old school player in a new school world.

If Reuter can consistently look more like the player against Kansas State (and even Dayton) and less like the player against vcu, he probably starts over Calixte. That's a huge question, though.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think it highly depends on what Reuter does in the offseason. His problems (lack of vertical, footwork, stamina, etc.) can all be improved and we could certainly use his basketball IQ on the floor if physically he can compete. At the same time, he's an old school player in a new school world.
I’ve always beilieved he has a place on this team. He can come in as a change of pace kind of guy and contribute. But he will never be what Paulsen thinks he can be.

Yesterday we saw how much more creative our guards can be when you have athletic big men to dish to.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
His problems (lack of vertical, footwork, stamina, etc.) can all be improved...

I would add his lack of ball control and strength to this list as well. We might have wilted against vcu either way, but to me the turning point was back-to-back possessions when he fumbled the ball or had it stripped in the paint. We went from having a decent lead to them converting on both turnovers and grabbing momentum. We also see opposing players rip rebounds right out of his hands despite him having better positioning and size.

I want to see a stronger, lighter Reuter next year that isn't afraid of contact offensively and isn't shy about knocking opponents on their asses defensively. He gives up way too many uncontested layups for a guy his size when he should be sending them a message that he owns that paint. Stop saving your fouls for later when later won't matter if you keeping giving up easy buckets.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Barring significant improvement, no I don’t see Reuter starting. Calixte isn’t flashy but he’s strong and dependable, understands/accepts his role and plays to his strengths. We are noticeably better with him on the floor. The coaches undoubtedly will see this when they have time to go back through the video from this season.

Honestly, if AJ would really commit in the offseason to learning the defensive rotations, I’d prefer him as the backup 5 if he’s willing to accept such a role. I think he brings a jolt of energy and would provide a big boost as the first big off the bench.

Maybe Reuter has been playing hurt this season and will come back stronger, quicker and more confident, but I don’t see it.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but...

In all these posts you can replace “Miller” with “Mar” and you would have the exact same situation we had with Mar during/after last year. How did that work out?

I guess my point is someone always seems to play well - have a good streak or a good month and we all start talking about future all A10, I’ve been as guilty as anyone, but if you look at the track record, we haven’t had an all A10 guy... well, ever!

More likely is Miller comes back down to earth a bit, maybe averages 8 to 10 a game... has a few games where he scores 18 with 10 boards, but also a few 4 point games with 3 rebounds.

It probably deserves another thread and maybe it will be something to look at during the off-season, but to me Miller is someone who playing pretty close to his maximum ability right now. Not saying he can’t get better, but he is producing pretty close to his ceiling right now. I think for us to be successful next year, he just needs to continue playing at his current level. If he can do that, he’s doing his part. He has been playing fantastic. I don’t want to take anything away from him, just not sure you can realistically ask for much more.

Guys like Reuter and AJ are players to me that are not playing anywhere close to their ceiling. They are the guys that need to step up. Like I said, probably a good off-season post... they aren’t the only ones.
Miller is always in the right place at the right time. Underrated skill. However, in my opinion, a special player creates his own shot and I have not seen Miller do that yet.

He is just a freshman, with plenty of time to develop.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Barring significant improvement, no I don’t see Reuter starting. Calixte isn’t flashy but he’s strong and dependable, understands/accepts his role and plays to his strengths. We are noticeably better with him on the floor. The coaches undoubtedly will see this when they have time to go back through the video from this season.

Honestly, if AJ would really commit in the offseason to learning the defensive rotations, I’d prefer him as the backup 5 if he’s willing to accept such a role. I think he brings a jolt of energy and would provide a big boost as the first big off the bench.

Maybe Reuter has been playing hurt this season and will come back stronger, quicker and more confident, but I don’t see it.
AJ has a high ceiling. AJ is so quick; teams inadvertently foul him. AJ has a nice form when taking FTs. I expect him to improve his FT % next season.

I think he would be better in a more traditional defense. I do not see the need to always double the post. All that said, its head scratching that he doesn’t rotate on defense still. He would get a lot more minutes if he did.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
While you have a point and I am always scared of the sophomore slump..Miller’s ceiling is so much higher than Mar’s. He is already built like a college 3, handles it a lot better, is a 100% better athlete, and shoots it well. I like Mar but his ceiling is nowhere near Millers. I would be surprised if Miller isn’t at least 2nd team all league next season. He is too smart of a player, plays too hard, and possesses too much athleticism not to be.
That NOVA education!

FreeGunston12

All-American
AJ has a high ceiling. AJ is so quick; teams inadvertently foul him. AJ has a nice form when taking FTs. I expect him to improve his FT % next season.

I think he would be better in a more traditional defense. I do not see the need to always double the post. All that said, its head scratching that he doesn’t rotate on defense still. He would get a lot more minutes if he did.
AJ over rotates to go for blocks. He tries for some ridiculous blocks and always seems to have the same result - they miss the shot and his man gets the rebound and scores.