Welcome Jordan Miller

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I am hoping he continues to work hard and have games like this... would be a big lift for Mason

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Great first game. History and reality says not to expect results like tonight every time out. Great in that it gives opponents another problem and player to scout and worry about. Tonight's play would be worthy of ROY. Not expecting that going forward, although I am looking forward to positive contributions to the TEAM effort.
All true but let’s review what we do know:

6-6
Athletic
Confident
Hustle
Good feel of the game (2 blocks 2 steals)
Moved well without the ball
Played good defense

And you know what? Great Karma. He was willing to lose half a year eligibility for the team. And is rewarded with a game where he filled up the stat sheet.

The announcers said he told DP in the beginning of the year he didn’t feel he was ready for D-1 basketball. 5 games in he wished he hadn’t redshirted and wanted to play. When DP asked him what he thought about activating him, Jordan immediately said yes with zero hesitation.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Jordan Miller has progressed significantly from a year ago. GMUTom and I caught a Loudoun Valley game last year and quickly came to the conclusion a red shirt would be wise.

Being a kid from my back yard, I’ve spoken to a couple people in his corner. Red shirting seemed so intuitive...

That wasn’t the same kid - not by a mile. As Patriot81 mentioned, tempering our expectations seems wise, but holy hell what an unexpected debut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jordan Miller has progressed significantly from a year ago. GMUTom and I caught a Loudoun Valley game last year and quickly came to the conclusion a red shirt would be wise.

Being a kid from my back yard, I’ve spoken to a couple people in his corner. Red shirting seemed so intuitive...

That wasn’t the same kid - not by a mile. As Patriot81 mentioned, tempering our expectations seems wise, but holy hell what an unexpected debut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In the post game presser, Paulsen said the second they decided to redshirt he started practicing much better because the pressure to perform was take off: “he’s been dominating practice for the last month-and-a-half and I started to think did we do the right thing?” Is what Paulsen said.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
All true but let’s review what we do know:

6-6
Athletic
Confident
Hustle
Good feel of the game (2 blocks 2 steals)
Moved well without the ball
Played good defense

Here's my version of what do we know:

He's a true freshman that's played one game. One very, very good game but one game nonetheless.

To project more at this point would be like creating a "Fire The Coach" thread five games into the season. Quite premature.

Like you though, I'm hopeful and excited for the future of this young man based on tonight's stellar start.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Bump.

Jordan Miller appears to be the real deal. Another double-double tonight. And we shouldn't overlook the Duquesne game where he got 10! offensive rebounds. It was the first time a Mason player did that since Shevon Thompson got 10, most of which, I would bet, were rebounds of his own misses!

Jordan now leads the A10 (conference games only) in 2 pt % (71.9%), is 4th in offensive rebounding % (13.5%) and 3rd in Offensive Rating (124.9) according to Kenpom.

What is his wingspan? His arms seem especially long for his height. May be the secret to his rebounding prowess.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Bump.

Jordan Miller appears to be the real deal. Another double-double tonight. And we shouldn't overlook the Duquesne game where he got 10! offensive rebounds. It was the first time a Mason player did that since Shevon Thompson got 10, most of which, I would bet, were rebounds of his own misses!

Jordan now leads the A10 (conference games only) in 2 pt % (71.9%), is 4th in offensive rebounding % (13.5%) and 3rd in Offensive Rating (124.9) according to Kenpom.

What is his wingspan? His arms seem especially long for his height. May be the secret to his rebounding prowess.
He is one of those guys who has a nose for the ball. He seems to always be in the right place at the right time. If he keeps getting better he's going to be an absolute stud.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Bump.

Don't forget he got a block last night as well (I think on Golden).

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wasnt he a slasher in hs?? I'd like to see some screens for him to get to the rim.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
The best part about his offensive rebounds is that he kicks it back out right away also.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Miller is scary good at rebounding. Assuming he adds the muscle most freshmen do in the offseason, he could be an absolute physical beast next season.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but...

In all these posts you can replace “Miller” with “Mar” and you would have the exact same situation we had with Mar during/after last year. How did that work out?

I guess my point is someone always seems to play well - have a good streak or a good month and we all start talking about future all A10, I’ve been as guilty as anyone, but if you look at the track record, we haven’t had an all A10 guy... well, ever!

More likely is Miller comes back down to earth a bit, maybe averages 8 to 10 a game... has a few games where he scores 18 with 10 boards, but also a few 4 point games with 3 rebounds.

It probably deserves another thread and maybe it will be something to look at during the off-season, but to me Miller is someone who playing pretty close to his maximum ability right now. Not saying he can’t get better, but he is producing pretty close to his ceiling right now. I think for us to be successful next year, he just needs to continue playing at his current level. If he can do that, he’s doing his part. He has been playing fantastic. I don’t want to take anything away from him, just not sure you can realistically ask for much more.

Guys like Reuter and AJ are players to me that are not playing anywhere close to their ceiling. They are the guys that need to step up. Like I said, probably a good off-season post... they aren’t the only ones.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but...

In all these posts you can replace “Miller” with “Mar” and you would have the exact same situation we had with Mar during/after last year. How did that work out?

I guess my point is someone always seems to play well - have a good streak or a good month and we all start talking about future all A10, I’ve been as guilty as anyone, but if you look at the track record, we haven’t had an all A10 guy... well, ever!

More likely is Miller comes back down to earth a bit, maybe averages 8 to 10 a game... has a few games where he scores 18 with 10 boards, but also a few 4 point games with 3 rebounds.

It probably deserves another thread and maybe it will be something to look at during the off-season, but to me Miller is someone who playing pretty close to his maximum ability right now. Not saying he can’t get better, but he is producing pretty close to his ceiling right now. I think for us to be successful next year, he just needs to continue playing at his current level. If he can do that, he’s doing his part. He has been playing fantastic. I don’t want to take anything away from him, just not sure you can realistically ask for much more.

Guys like Reuter and AJ are players to me that are not playing anywhere close to their ceiling. They are the guys that need to step up. Like I said, probably a good off-season post... they aren’t the only ones.
Just by the style of play and athleticism, I expect Miller to be much more consistent than Mar.
When Mar is good, he’s hitting 3s. When he was really good, he was taking opposing 5s off the dribble.
When Miller is good, he’s getting offensive rebounds. When he is really good, he’s making plays on defense. Miller has shown some flashes of being able to get to the rim and can hit the outside shot given some space.

Interesting take on player’s potential though. I think we’ve seen Kier’s ceiling if he limits turnovers. I like Calixte, but some guys are just never going to be able to hit free throws or even mid range shots. To me the ones to watch for growth in the offseason are Greene, Boyd, Reuter, Wilson, and the incoming freshmen.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I disagree on Miller. It's clear he isn't the option most of the time on offense. But he can and should attack the basket more. Afterall he was known as a slasher in HS and showed glimpse vs gw. I think this area opens up more next year with Hartwell at PG as he is more of a pass first PG. I actually would love to see Mar and Miller in together at the 2 and 3 guard spots respectively. Calixte at 5 and AJ at the 4. We would be 6'7 2-5. If you want to go on a 20pt run, thats your lineup.