News Welcome Javon Greene

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Y'all.

It might be time to have a conversation about Javon Greenes shot.

He has been sort of a disaster since that Auburn game.

**Note: I made this post and he immediately went on to have six points on two shots in the first half.

The Herndon Jinx is apparently a thing**
Not trying to bash the kid but you are what your stats say you are. For the year he is 44/130 or 33.8% overall and just 17/77 or 22.1% from 3.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He can drive, but that’s not really what we need with Otis, Kier, and Boyd already out there. All of whom are also more of a 3 point threat.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He can drive, but that’s not really what we need with Otis, Kier, and Boyd already out there. All of whom are also more of a 3 point threat.

We need him to play defense when he’s in the floor. I don’t care if he shoots lights out if he’s getting stops.

Also, if we have other shooters out there, no reason he needs to be trawling the 3 point line. Dive and finish or drive and dish. He probably shouldn’t be out there with Kier though until he can prove he can hit from outside consistently though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We need him to play defense when he’s in the floor. I don’t care if he shoots lights out if he’s getting stops.

Also, if we have other shooters out there, no reason he needs to be trawling the 3 point line. Dive and finish or drive and dish. He probably shouldn’t be out there with Kier though until he can prove he can hit from outside consistently though.

His D was great at Richmond, tonight not so much.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Greene may take longer to get seasoned, which is OK. He's going to be behind Otis and Kier at the 1 and 2 for at least another two seasons. And if he can't outplay JDS, maybe his entire career.

Bryon Allen, for instance, shot .303 overall and .154 from 3 his freshman season. He made a huge jump in his overall shooting percentage his sophomore season (finishing at the rim becomes easier with a full offseason of working out) and by his senior season he shot .391 from 3.

Isaiah Tate is another one who took 2 1/2 seasons to get acclimated and up to speed. By the second half of his junior season we stopped wondering why he was on the floor. And he was key to the success of the 2011 team.

I know we haven't been allowed to be patient with our freshmen classes in Paulsen's first three years, but Greene has shown he can play at this level. Whether he becomes an eventual starter or not is up to him.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I love the example of Allen. He turned out to be an exceptional contributor and I remember being concerned after his freshman year. Frosh sometimes show flashes of what they're capable of but can't do it consistently. Greene has shown those flashes, and under Paulsen it's generally safe to assume that those "flashes" develop into consistent play

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

GMUSig03

All-Conference
A few of us had this exact discussion last night and I brought up Allen as someone who struggled to see the Court as a freshman and ended up being an all conference level player.

I'm really excited about Javon as a Junior after Otis and Jaire graduate.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A few of us had this exact discussion last night and I brought up Allen as someone who struggled to see the Court as a freshman and ended up being an all conference level player.

I'm really excited about Javon as a Junior after Otis and Jaire graduate.

I feel the same way about AJ. If he can move to the four and Mar the 3 their junior seasons, that should be a formidable lineup.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Greene may take longer to get seasoned, which is OK. He's going to be behind Otis and Kier at the 1 and 2 for at least another two seasons. And if he can't outplay JDS, maybe his entire career.

Bryon Allen, for instance, shot .303 overall and .154 from 3 his freshman season. He made a huge jump in his overall shooting percentage his sophomore season (finishing at the rim becomes easier with a full offseason of working out) and by his senior season he shot .391 from 3.

Isaiah Tate is another one who took 2 1/2 seasons to get acclimated and up to speed. By the second half of his junior season we stopped wondering why he was on the floor. And he was key to the success of the 2011 team.

I know we haven't been allowed to be patient with our freshmen classes in Paulsen's first three years, but Greene has shown he can play at this level. Whether he becomes an eventual starter or not is up to him.

I completely agree. I think every freshman that has come through the program (and even not stayed) has had to play a much bigger role than asked. I suspect that will go down as the years evolve.

As far as Greene, I think he definitely has shown flashes. I think we'd all love to see his shot go in more. I'm hopeful that that he will work hard this offseason at that and bring improvement to that aspect and all other aspects of his game. In addition, his ability and length to guard other wings will also be something that will be needed going forward.

Herndon

All-Conference
I feel the same way about AJ. If he can move to the four and Mar the 3 their junior seasons, that should be a formidable lineup.

In my experience, tweeners are nearly always more successfull when they play "up" a position.

It's almost always better to be smaller but quicker for your position than bigger but slower, particularly in the frontcourt.

I see AJ as a 5 and Mar as a 4, eventually.

FreeGunston12

All-American
In my experience, tweeners are nearly always more successfull when they play "up" a position.

It's almost always better to be smaller but quicker for your position than bigger but slower, particularly in the frontcourt.

I see AJ as a 5 and Mar as a 4, eventually.
Agree 100%. Mar has struggled recently just with catching the ball on the wing or in transition. He’s no 3 in this day and age. But he can be a quality stretch/face-up 4.

patriotchild

Starter
So, something else we haven't really mentioned. Javon seems to be our X-factor and we've missed him in some big games this year.

@vcu - 2pts 7reb 1ast 2to
@sbu - 2pts 2reb 0ast 1to
@slu - 2pts 7reb 0ast 1to

Other than against DUQ he hasn't put up double figure points against any of the top 7 teams this year.

Let's hope he brings it tonight.

OP
GMU_DCU

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
So, something else we haven't really mentioned. Javon seems to be our X-factor and we've missed him in some big games this year.

Other than against DUQ he hasn't put up double figure points against any of the top 7 teams this year.

3 of the best defensive teams in the league..not suprising. Seems Javon has a hard time getting his shot off against the bigger and stronger teams in the A-10.

patriotchild

Starter

update, another offensive let down against a top team

vcu - 2pts 4reb 2ast 0to

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
3 of the best defensive teams in the league..not suprising. Seems Javon has a hard time getting his shot off against the bigger and stronger teams in the A-10.

So get bigger and stronger.