Welcome Jalen Haynes

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Under this rule, I don't understand how a coach can leave one team for another and take players from his prior team to his new team—a-hem CKE.

Maybe it doesn't apply when there is a Coaching change and Skinn decided Haynes was redshirting.
Its all confusing.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe it doesn't apply when there is a Coaching change and Skinn decided Haynes was redshirting.
Its all confusing.
You bet it's confusing. Where's the rule that states 13.8.3.3 does not apply to head coaching changes?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
13.8.3.3 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete -- Men's Basketball. In men's basketball, during a two-year period... employment with an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department staff position other than a countable coach who may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus. (Adopted: 1/16/10, Revised: 6/13/11, 1/18/23 effective 7/1/23)
Ahhh... here it is. You just can't only scan this stuff.

OK. Bialkowski is Director of Men's Basketball Operations. But Bialkowski is listed as part of the "coaching staff" (at least on the Men's B-ball website). Is he not a "countable coach who may contact prospective [players]"? Will someone please help make sense of it all.

Why would Jalen come here and risk losing two years of eligibility?

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
You can follow a coach if he takes another coaching job, just not if it’s a non coaching job like director of basketball opps or similar role. The rule was put in place so high school or AAU coaches couldn’t attach themselves to a recruit and parlay a new bogus position on a staff.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Why would Jalen come here and risk losing two years of eligibility?

My guess is someone in Mason's compliance office discovered the recruiting violation and self-reported the violation to the NCAA. It's seems highly likely to me that neither the coaching staff nor Jalen were aware of the violation and the impact on his eligibility.

At this point, all we know is that there is an NCAA process for restoring Jalen's eligibility.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You can follow a coach if he takes another coaching job, just not if it’s a non coaching job like director of basketball opps or similar role. The rule was put in place so high school or AAU coaches couldn’t attach themselves to a recruit and parlay a new bogus position on a staff.
Certainly a gray area. Again, from my above comments... "...Bialkowski is listed as part of the "coaching staff"."

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
OK. Bialkowski is Director of Men's Basketball Operations. But Bialkowski is listed as part of the "coaching staff" (at least on the Men's B-ball website). Is he not a "countable coach who may contact prospective [players]"? Will someone please help make sense of it all.
I think he counts as one?

If I remember correctly, it's Lamar Butler, who's position on the staff doesn't allow external contact/outreach to prospective players off campus.

I'm completely guessing though and have absolutely no idea.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think he counts as one?

If I remember correctly, it's Lamar Butler, who's position on the staff doesn't allow external contact/outreach to prospective players off campus.

I'm completely guessing though and have absolutely no idea.
Gray. Grayer. Grayest. This looks mighty grey to me. I only hope that it all works out in Jalen's (and the team's and fans') favor.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Prior to 2023, you could only have 4 coaches on staff that were allowed to actually participate in on-court instruction during the season during an official practice. These same 4 coaches were the ones that were allowed to recruit off campus.

Then, in 2023 the NCAA expanded it from 4 to 6. Now, there are two more coaches that are allowed to participate during practice, but those two still can't go off campus recruiting. For us, its the director of basketball opps and director of player development (Mark and Lamar). They still fall under this rule that involves Haynes.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He should be able to play next season. That's Up to him and on that note read between lines and let this die. This other thing could or couldn't be true as well but doesn't really matter, regardless need a 2nd big in the summer free agency period.
what?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I will refrain from blasting you. I'll just say this, Dinkins is hurt and he isn't playing this year. Haynes can't play, plan was never for him to play. If you must know why, dig deep and you'll find the answer. Nico leaving really hurt the depth at 5. Hayes will play next year but they have to recruit another big man. Free agency doesn't start till the summer so right now it doesn't mean much.

He should be able to play next season. That's Up to him and on that note read between lines and let this die. This other thing could or couldn't be true as well but doesn't really matter, regardless need a 2nd big in the summer free agency period.

My man... you did it again! These QAnon-like, "if-I-told-you-then-I'll-have-to-kill-you", cryptic posts are killing me. You either know sumpin' or you don't. You have a worthy contribution or you don't.

To the administrators: Can we set up a font for when somebody wants to intentionally frustrate the forum's readers?

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My man... you did it again! These QAnon-like, "if-I-told-you-then-I'll-have-to-kill-you", cryptic posts are killing me. You either know sumpin' or you don't. You have a worthy contribution or you don't.

To the administrators: Can we set up a font for when somebody wants to intentionally frustrate the forum's readers?

If I may suggest: Wingdings?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It really should not be shared on the internet. It however is not a conspiracy that you all want it to be.

Gotta love the irony of a guy named Jack Ruby telling people something's not a conspiracy.

maxresdefault.jpg