UNCW releases Keatts' contract

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Kevin Keatts stressed Tuesday that his move to UNCW had little to do with money, but the new men’s basketball coach will be the university’s highest paid employee.

Keatts joins the Seahawks on a five-year contract that guarantees him at least $325,000 per year, according to a copy of the deal released by the university Tuesday. He could be guaranteed as much as $425,000 in the final year of the deal.

“I’m well-compensated here and extremely happy with my contract, but I didn’t take the job for the money,” Keatts said in his introductory press conference. “I took the job for the people and the opportunity. That’s what’s exciting to me.”

Keatts’ contract includes a base salary of $300,000 per year plus supplemental income that starts at $25,000 per year and increases as it moves forward.

Athletic director Jimmy Bass said UNCW went into the coaching search with a ceiling on what it was willing to guarantee, and this deal fell in line with that after “amicable” negotiations on the contract lasted about three days.

The deal — which runs through March 31, 2019 — provides bonuses for academic performance ($10,000 for APR score over 960) and on-court achievement ($25,000 for CAA regular season and tournament titles, NCAA postseason appearances and Top 100 RPI finish).

It also calls for him to receive 20 percent of season ticket sales revenue in excess of $185,000. That figure represents the targeted total included in the preliminary 2014-2015 athletic budget.

Bass said the incentives are in line with deals for coaches in revenue sports across the state.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the deal is tied to Keatts’ supplemental income that can increase throughout the contract. That total will be $25,000 guaranteed in the first year and rise to $50,000 in the second year.

After that, any raise is tied to performance. The Seahawks must have a .500 or better record in CAA play for him to qualify for raises in the last three years of his deal.

The supplemental income can increase $25,000 each season, meaning it would reach $125,000 in the final year if the team meets that mark. He must also record 16 radio and 16 TV shows per year and make at least 10 Seahawk Club appearances to qualify for the raises.

“I think the underlying message is that we want to be successful and when we’re successful, he’s going to prosper,” Bass said. “When he brings the success back to this program and the winning and the postseason participation, he’s going to share in the profit, and there’s nothing wrong with that.”

Keatts would face a stiff buyout if he leaves within the first two years of the deal. He’d have to pay the university $400,000 to leave before April 1, 2015, and $200,000 if he goes elsewhere in the second year of the deal. There is no penalty in the final three years of the contract.

UNCW is only obligated to pay the $300,000 base salary per year if it fires him before the completion of the deal.

That’s different from its agreement with Buzz Peterson. The former coach was set to earn $240,000 in base salary for each of the final two seasons of his contract, but UNCW also had to pay the extra $200,000 per year in supplemental income guaranteed by the contract. The university’s total payout to Peterson not to coach over the next two years will exceed $960,000, provided the former coach doesn’t earn any additional income.

Keatts had been making $280,000 per year as the associate head coach at Louisville, according to a database compiled by the Courier-Journal. The coach’s new deal doesn’t reach the guaranteed payout given to Peterson, who came to UNCW with 12 years of previous Division I head coaching experience, but it does compare favorably to other coaches in the Colonial Athletic Association.

“Honestly, I hope we’re renegotiating his contract after three (successful) years,” Bass said. “That’s my goal.”

Here is a list of 2013-2014 base salaries for the head coaches at the four other CAA schools subject to open records requests:

William & Mary- Tony Shaver: $224,000 (Plus additional $25,000 guaranteed per year for at least $249,000)

College of Charleston- Doug Wojcik: $400,000

James Madison- Matt Brady: $302,000

Towson- Pat Skerry: $300,000

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Shocking what Mason fans are getting for the price.

Keatts is going to win there. I have a gut feeling he should be our coach in a year.

Yossarian

Sixth Man
It is a testament to the fickle nature of college basketball that we find ourselves coveting UNCW's assets. Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

As an aside, I've lived in Wilmington and can assure you that $325,000 to $425,000 will offer a very comfortable lifestyle (probably equates to $600,000 in Fairfax, but with less traffic and more beach). Then there's the tough call of whether to live downtown or out by Wrightsville Beach. I'm guessing Wrightsville Beach, since downtown can get a bit rowdy on weekend nights and the boat slips are out by the beach...

Pure envy, honestly. That's how I feel.

Yossarian

Sixth Man
Okay- I might have to scrape the wax off the long board and head out to Ocean City on Saturday, after thinking about UNCW for a few more minutes. The surf forecast calls for waist to chest-high waves here in the mid-Atlantic. Just good enough to justify a four-hour drive each way. Maybe.

That, or rake the leaves in the back yard that I've ignored since November. Stupid honeydo list.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Who knows if Keatts will be successful. He is primarily a recruiter. It is easier to recruit to UL than UNCW. BUT you aren't paying him retread money and the upside is far greater. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of UNCW's eight year nightmare. Good news is we will likely have a shot at ending our nightmare in less than one year.

Last edited:
OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
While $325k is a lot in Wilmington, its not what schools go buy. Otherwise Manhattans coach would be making 3mil per year. Pretty sure its in their best interests to look at the entire salary market for coaches. Being that Uncw was cash strapped, they still plan to give Keatts a nice bump if succeeds while showing signs of monetary resurrection with a higher pay scale for Keats vs Buzz.

And as far as re-tread money goes Buzz Peterson was making 240k in base salary. Probably what we should be paying our retread.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
btw where the hell is jerry wainwright?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wainwright could always go back to his old job of playing Deputy Droopy Dog.

jerry-wainwright.jpg
droopy%5B1%5D.gif

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Keatts with doing work in caa in first head coaching job. hit homeruns first year and just won conf tourney tonight.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Have to feel bad for Hofstra though. Their best player went 2-16 tonight and another guy got T'd up protesting the awfulness that is CAA refs, which cost them 2 FTs in a game that ultimately went to OT.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm happy for the UNCW program and their fans. I always liked their fans on the old CAA boards and the ones I met over the years at the CAAT in Richmond.

Plus, I was rooting against Hofstra after reading Pecora's whiny quotes in the Post's 10-year anniversary articles about our Final 4 run this past weekend. I know he's no longer there, but if he can still bitch about being snubbed, I can be petty and pull for his former team to lose. :cool:

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Have to feel bad for Hofstra though. Their best player went 2-16 tonight and another guy got T'd up protesting the awfulness that is CAA refs, which cost them 2 FTs in a game that ultimately went to OT.

If I am not mistaken, the refs in the title game are not the ones that were in Baltimore all weekend. That is usually how the title game works.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Shocking what Mason fans are getting for the price.

Keatts is going to win there. I have a gut feeling he should be our coach in a year.

Explain this quote please - this is our new coach's first year. Why would we change next year?????