UMASS VS LSU @ 11am

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Nice game to catch former mason target and Hewitts first big miss, Tim Quarterman.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
LaSalle will barely escape at Home with a Win against Qunnipiac. LaSalle has early struggles as well.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Quarterman one of three freshmen starting for LSU.

And he's 1-1 with a swished 3-pointer.

Would've been an absolute stud for us in the A-10.

I should probably post this in the "HATE" thread ...

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Devin Wilson on espn at 1pm.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Umass is tough.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wilson looking VERY good for VT, which is beating WVU in Blacksburg.

Either he or Quarterman would've been huge for us. Either would already be starting ahead of Edwards. Instead, Moore can't even get a minute against AU????

Missing out on both of those PGs might wind up being the difference between our team being good and great this season. It's the weakest position on our team by 1000 miles yet again.

It just stings worse now that the games have started, and you can see what the coaches saw in those kids. It wasn't just hype.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Let it go, Jim. Kids are allowed to pick other schools.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Both Quarterman and Wilson probably saw Edward as the starting PG at G Mas and thought "Man, if that is a starting PG in that conference, how good could it be...."

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Both TQ and DW looked looked the prized recruits we thought they were. Good to know the staff knows what good talent is. Which begs the question why the heck did AO get a schooly and not a PG that we desperately needed to have in 2 years ago.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Gee, thanks for the insight. But no, I don't think I feel like letting it go today.

While I'm not happy at all with our PG position, the last thing you'll ever hear me do is whine about losing a kid to an SEC or ACC school. While it is indeed frustrating, you should know better than most here that it's the nature of the beast.

As for Quarterman, forgive me if I'm not as impressed as you are with his 5 points and 1 assist today. Wilson's 16 points — including a perfect 8-8 from the FT line — and 4 assists against WVU was much more impressive.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this will probably piss Tom off, but now I'm watching Baylor-South Carolina and Michael Carrera is playing very well for the Gamecocks.

Another one who would've looked good in the green and gold.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Honestly guys, if you were a player and could play for a SEC or ACC team, wouldn't you?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
While I'm not happy at all with our PG position, the last thing you'll ever hear me do is whine about losing a kid to an SEC or Big East school. While it is indeed frustrating, you should know better than most here that it's the nature of the beast.

As for Quarterman, forgive me if I'm not as impressed as you are with his 5 points and 1 assist today. Wilson's 16 points — including a perfect 8-8 from the FT line — and 4 assists against WVU was much more impressive.

Tom, I do agree that losing kids like that is "the nature of the beast."

What I wonder is why we even waste our time and resources recruiting these kids when the best we can do is "close, but no cigar."

The fact that Moore can't even get off the bench with Edwards sucking speaks volumes to me. At this point, it looks like PG will remain a glaring hole for our program -- one that will only become more obvious once Allen is gone.

That's not a good thing when you have a coach who obviously needs a big-time PG to operate his perplexingly complex offense.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The fact that Moore can't even get off the bench with Edwards sucking speaks volumes to me.

Jim, we played one game so far, so let's not put an end to the Marquis Moore era just yet. The AU game was much closer than it should have been, so I'm sure Hewitt opted to go with Allen just to make sure we got the win. I'm sure we will see our share of Moore this season.

One thing I like so far is the notion that no player's time on the court is guaranteed. I love that Hewitt pulled Corey when he wasn't running the offense, and I like that Marko is starting tonight after a very good game the other night (even if it is because of Copes and Arledge being out). Let the cream rise, even if it means shaking up the apple cart.

Last edited:

gmu05

Starter
Moore didn't play because it was the first game of the season and they were initially losing against a weak opponent. I don't think the time to experiment with a freshman PG is when you are down early like they were.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That depends...my goal would be to play in the NCAA and if I'm being offered by Virginia Tech I'd think really hard before committing there.

I have to admit I have a harder time swallowing losing a kid to Tech than I do to LSU or even South Carolina. All three of the guys mentioned here would have been great at Mason, but losing Carerra is the one that frustrated me the most.