The end of the NCAA senior streak?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
For 16 consecutive years, no George Mason Senior who has been part of the program for at least 3 seasons has ever completed their eligibility without making the NCAA tournament at least once. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mark Davis is the only Senior who has gone at least 2 seasons and not made it.

Unless the Mason team makes it to the tournament next year (or miraculously wins the A-10 tourney this year), Gray, Copes, Okoloji, and Edwards will be the first Senior class since the 97-98 season not to do so.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For 16 consecutive years, no George Mason Senior who has been part of the program for at least 3 seasons has ever completed their eligibility without making the NCAA tournament at least once. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mark Davis is the only Senior who has gone at least 2 seasons and not made it.

Unless the Mason team makes it to the tournament next year (or miraculously wins the A-10 tourney this year), Gray, Copes, Okoloji, and Edwards will be the first Senior class since the 97-98 season not to do so.

The only senior on last season's team was walk-on Bryce Lewis who played 2 seasons without making the NCAA tourney.

It will be interesting to see which players from this season's junior class return next season.

sigmanorm

Starter
I had not realized we had such a streak going. Actually kind of impressive. Of the class you mention here are a few nuggets from the 30 games played this year.
Copes - 24 games played, 20.4 mins per game, 4.2 pts per game
Gray - 18 games, 10.1 mins, 2.8 pts
Edwards - 24 games, 13.8 mins, 2.8 pts
Okoloji - 17 games 8 mins 2.1 pts

These 4 have logged more minutes than Arledge (25 mins in 1 game) and Rudy (0 games played) this year...that is it.

Not big contributors in their Jr year. Will that change next year? I am hoping Gray gets more minutes, but I don't see the others getting much more floor time. Copes may play more games to increase his total minutes, but we need some offense out of him.

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
The only senior on last season's team was walk-on Bryce Lewis who played 2 seasons without making the NCAA tourney.

It will be interesting to see which players from this season's junior class return next season.

I didn't really look at walk-ons, but it still applies - 3 or more seasons had guaranteed at least one NCAA trip.

Unless you were referring to Davis as the only 2-year Senior, not to go. Again though, only scholarship players considered.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I had not realized we had such a streak going. Actually kind of impressive. Of the class you mention here are a few nuggets from the 30 games played this year.
Copes - 24 games played, 20.4 mins per game, 4.2 pts per game
Gray - 18 games, 10.1 mins, 2.8 pts
Edwards - 24 games, 13.8 mins, 2.8 pts
Okoloji - 17 games 8 mins 2.1 pts

These 4 have logged more minutes than Arledge (25 mins in 1 game) and Rudy (0 games played) this year...that is it.

Not big contributors in their Jr year. Will that change next year? I am hoping Gray gets more minutes, but I don't see the others getting much more floor time. Copes may play more games to increase his total minutes, but we need some offense out of him.

I think this is the most overlooked part of Hewitt's "coaching": roster management. I can't imagine there is another team in D-1 that has 3 scholarship juniors who've had 5+ DNPs (DNP-Coaches Decision) like we have with AO, VG and CE. Play them or move on for the sake of both parties if you don't think they can help you.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I didn't really look at walk-ons, but it still applies - 3 or more seasons had guaranteed at least one NCAA trip.

Unless you were referring to Davis as the only 2-year Senior, not to go. Again though, only scholarship players considered.

Yes, I was referring to your comment on Davis. I didn't know that you were considering only scholarship players.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
There was a 4-year period with no NCAA appearances (2002 - 2005). So, it should be noted that the streak could have ended in 2005 if one member of the recruiting class of 2001 (Lamar Butler) had not redshirted in his sophomore academic year (2002-03); and, thus, was a redshirt senior starter on the Final Four team of 2005-06.

The other members of the recruiting class of 2001 were Steven Bonner (failed to gain admission to Mason), Darren Tarver (medically disqualified due to a heart condition prior to the 2002-03 season), and Colin Wyatt (transferred to Elon).

Last edited:

GMUAKL

Recruit
Sherrod Wright was redshirting the year that we beat Villanova IIRC. Doesn't this mean that the streak ends with him if we don't win the A10 tournament?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sherrod Wright was redshirting the year that we beat Villanova IIRC. Doesn't this mean that the streak ends with him if we don't win the A10 tournament?

No because J2 and Allen played in those games and they are part of the class

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

If you want to overanalyze it then sure. I tend to think of them as part of team still, even w/injury. John Vaughan still got a FF ring.

Forest for the trees, the point was for 16 years a recruit could be told that if they gave us at least three seasons, history showed they'd be making a trip to the Big Dance at least once.

Odds are that's going to end w/next year's Seniors.