Tailgating before selected basketball games

G M U

Starter
Price seems high but most people tend to tailgate with a group of people. I'm sure people in your group can throw 5 bucks

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Was waiting to see this out there. I had a back and forth on twitter about it already.

I love that they are trying this and trying to build a pre-game like community before some games.

I tried to get friends together for a few years for tailgates, but after the weather being bad/cold and generally not enough friends interested to have a tailgate, I bring my friends to Brions before we head off to the Gold Room or whatever.

That being said, I think there are some significant challenges.

First, tailgating for basketball is generally going to be in very cold weather.

Second, the cost to tailgate is $32 pre-purchase, or $47 day of. Without any sort of incentive (a warm tent for socializing, appetizers, drinks etc) with the cost that pays for cleanup, police etc, I see this as a deterrent to many people even though the cost can split among a few friends.

Its just not my thing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Was waiting to see this out there. I had a back and forth on twitter about it already.

I love that they are trying this and trying to build a pre-game like community before some games.

I tried to get friends together for a few years for tailgates, but after the weather being bad/cold and generally not enough friends interested to have a tailgate, I bring my friends to Brions before we head off to the Gold Room or whatever.

That being said, I think there are some significant challenges.

First, tailgating for basketball is generally going to be in very cold weather.

Second, the cost to tailgate is $32 pre-purchase, or $47 day of. Without any sort of incentive (a warm tent for socializing, appetizers, drinks etc) with the cost that pays for cleanup, police etc, I see this as a deterrent to many people even though the cost can split among a few friends.

Its just not my thing.
I agree whole heartedly with everything you said other than the price. With all things considered I think it is decently cheap actually. 5-10 people throw in a couple dollars and there you go.

That being said... not for me as I would rather get trashed in the heat of the gold room with the best bartender south of the Potomac

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a great idea, but can only see a big turnouts if weather cooperates. You get an unseasonably warm day for one of these and it's a no-brainer.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Does it cost anything to just park at Mason games normally? I, too, think the price is steep....because even though you can split it with your friends, that's not going to be someone's first reaction. They're going to be annoyed that they're being charged $32 to literally park their car.

I mean christ, it costs $40 to park/tailgate at MetLife Stadium in Jersey....

Overall though, I like their thinking behind this and shows they're trying to improve and make it a better gameday atmosphere.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Does it cost anything to just park at Mason games normally? I, too, think the price is steep....because even though you can split it with your friends, that's not going to be someone's first reaction. They're going to be annoyed that they're being charged $32 to literally park their car.

I mean christ, it costs $40 to park/tailgate at MetLife Stadium in Jersey....

Overall though, I like their thinking behind this and shows they're trying to improve and make it a better gameday atmosphere.

Your parking is included with the ticket price (like $3 of it or whatever), at least that is how it used to be.

By George.

Starter
https://si.gmu.edu/tailgating/

Looks like the Longwood game will be the first tailgate.

You can always count on us, we already got our parking spots and all of you are welcome. People complaining about weather are semi soft, we’ll be out there rain or shine.

We’re covering all costs, just bring a 6 pack, we’ll have more details as we get closer to the event. Toying with the idea of buying a PA System and doing a live show at the tailgate.

We throw the best tailgate every Homecoming, excited to have more chances to do this.

These tailgates are not meant to take you away from your traditions, they’re intended to draw kids who may have not gone to the games otherwise. Let’s applaud the effort.

p.s. If $37 is a lot, what in the hell do y’all do for fun?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You can always count on us, we already got our parking spots and all of you are welcome. People complaining about weather are semi soft, we’ll be out there rain or shine.

We’re covering all costs, just bring a 6 pack, we’ll have more details as we get closer to the event. Toying with the idea of buying a PA System and doing a live show at the tailgate.

We throw the best tailgate every Homecoming, excited to have more chances to do this.

These tailgates are not meant to take you away from your traditions, they’re intended to draw kids who may have not gone to the games otherwise. Let’s applaud the effort.

p.s. If $37 is a lot, what in the hell do y’all do for fun?

As someone who was dragged from Miami to a lot of Thanksgiving weekend Penn State football home games by their annoyingly gung ho Penn State alum father, I concur, buck up people! Cold weather tailgating is just part of life.

Also, $37 for a college basketball tailgate is too much. $20 seems about right.

Also agree, this isn't meant for Green and Gold room pass people, this is meant for the plebeians/young alumni/students who can't afford access to free booze.

Mason32

Starter
Also agree, this isn't meant for Green and Gold room pass people, this is meant for the plebeians/young alumni/students who can't afford access to free booze.

I guess but will they show up? A lot of people are acting like there is a huge demand for this but I don't think there is.

By George.

Starter
I guess but will they show up? A lot of people are acting like there is a huge demand for this but I don't think there is.

Demand is pretty strong, we had a meeting with Brad Edwards about it last year. The Alumni association tries their a** off, sometimes the events flop but it’s on us to embrace, go and promote.

Mason32

Starter
Demand is pretty strong, we had a meeting with Brad Edwards about it last year. The Alumni association tries their a** off, sometimes the events flop but it’s on us to embrace, go and promote.

Not sure what an AD has to do with tailgating, especially among young alums but glad he's aware/involved. I think people are forgetting the recent young alums don't even know winning because they came up in the Hewitt years and crossed over into Paulsen's first couple of seasons. I think you need a passionate fan base to really have these tailgates going. The program isn't having basement A-10 seasons anymore so they're getting close to the consistency but not quite there yet. I think they still need some sort of break through season to wake up some of these folks.

But is demand is strong? I mean attendance isn't so unless you are suggesting there's a big group that doesn't go to games because there aren't tailgates I'm not sure I buy it. Would love to be wrong!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not sure what an AD has to do with tailgating, especially among young alums but glad he's aware/involved. I think people are forgetting the recent young alums don't even know winning because they came up in the Hewitt years and crossed over into Paulsen's first couple of seasons. I think you need a passionate fan base to really have these tailgates going. The program isn't having basement A-10 seasons anymore so they're getting close to the consistency but not quite there yet. I think they still need some sort of break through season to wake up some of these folks.

But is demand is strong? I mean attendance isn't so unless you are suggesting there's a big group that doesn't go to games because there aren't tailgates I'm not sure I buy it. Would love to be wrong!

other than the American game, looks like they chose the probably better attended games: family weekend, JMU, GW, homecoming.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s crazy that the same people that won’t bat an eye about the insanely mediocre quality of a basketball team we have but will complain about a tailgate that nobody is forcing them to attend. Blows my mind