Fast break scoring in the first 9 games:

Opponents: 63 (7.0 ppg)
Mason: 30 (3.3 ppg)

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully this picks up as we recover from injuries, suspension and JA.

gmu05

Starter
Every new coach promises an "up-tempo" style of play to get the fan base excited after they arrive. It is coachspeak BS

mason89

Starter
I think we'll see up-tempo once Moore is given the reigns of the team. He seems to know what moves he's going to make well inadvance, while Allen and Edwards react to what the defense presents.

PDGL Hoops

Starter
Tough to be up-tempo when we don't have the personnel to handle the ball effectively. How many times have you seen Sherrod dribble off of his foot or lose the handle. If you want to push the ball everyone on the court needs to be able to operate efficiently and not cause turnovers.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I think we'll see up-tempo once Moore is given the reigns of the team.

I agree that Marquise should improve this facet of the game. IMO, the players will effectively run the fast break when they are confident that someone will get them the ball.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Tough to be up-tempo when we don't have the personnel to handle the ball effectively. How many times have you seen Sherrod dribble off of his foot or lose the handle. If you want to push the ball everyone on the court needs to be able to operate efficiently and not cause turnovers.

Up-tempo teams turn the ball over. Just like pressing teams give up layups and dunks -- it's the trade-off you deal with for opting to play that style.

Just my $.02, but considering how many turnovers we already commit and layups we surrender in our current system, I wouldn't be offended by a change.

expendable smurf

Four-star Recruit
Generally speaking our forwards aren't good outlet passers and it's tough to run in transition when the best they can do is hand the ball to the PG under the opposition's basket after a rebound. We also don't rebound well, which always makes it more difficult to run.

Hewitt's never really been an uptempo coach though except for perhaps his years at Siena. He pressed more at GT than he has with us, and we've never quite pressed all that effectively, but he wasn't exactly uptempo at GT either.