Starting slow

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is a good and interesting question. I definitely think teams have personalities, in the sense that they tend to drift toward behaviors that haven't been coached. I don't know if that comes from the coach, the staff, or the dominant personalities on the team. Guessing a combination of all three and the balance is different on every team.

I also think we're limited offensively and we tend to have long stretches where the ball doesn't go in the basket. Sometimes it's to open the game (like against SLU + Bona) and sometimes it happens at other points (vcu, Duquesne, and many more). So I don't know if "slow starts" is anything more than "slow stretches of the game that we regularly have that happen to come during the opening minutes." This stuff just happens when you're not a good shooting team, only have one matchup-dependent individual creator, and a bunch of guys who are good but not great at how they can score.

M

MudKat

Spectator
Hopefully not often tomorrow. 22 in the first half will do nicely.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m curious what everyone thinks-

What’s the cause of all the slow starts Mason has created this year? Is it partly DP and the coaching staff? Lack of energy? Motivation? Not being prepared well?
We’ve all seen them start slow in many games and then have to play catch up- usually resulting in a loss. How can they fix the slow starts?
Paulsen