something to ponder... Italy 2010 trip... 2014?

GMURaider

Sixth Man
I apologize if this is slightly random. However, I think it might provoke some interesting discussion.

The 2010-2011 team went to Italy prior to the year. A lot of the players said they bonded and formed a deeper chemistry. I personally think it partially helped them bounce back from the wretched season that culminated in the 2010 CIT.

NCAA rules allow a team to go abroad to play games once every four years.

1. Do you think they might get a similar chemistry boost from a trip abroad?
2. Would you do the trip this off season or would you save it for when Jalen is a junior or senior?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It certainly couldn't hurt. Expecting the same results would be unfair, but those international trips are valuable, and we should do them as often as the NCAA allows. It's not something you save for later, in my opinion. We'll have a lot of new faces next season, and this could be a great opportunity to get a head start on a 2 or 3 year team building process.

mason89

Starter
I think this is a great idea, GMURaider. One of the problems we've heard about this team -- especially last season -- has been that they were not close off the court. This would go a long way to ensure that a team with (very likely) a number of new players to bond right away.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Gotta wonder if an unexpected 6-figure bill from last year's postseason and a Hawaii trip have strained the budget a little too much to put one of these trips together.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not a productive trip with so many freshman coming in. They have alot to get used to as it is. Sending them away is putting too much on them too soon. HOWEVER, Hewitt should visit Mt. Athos.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Gotta wonder if an unexpected 6-figure bill from last year's postseason and a Hawaii trip have strained the budget a little too much to put one of these trips together.

You know...Hewitt probably could help out with some of his buyout money to help pay for that and/or any trip...:p:p

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I thought that Hewitt did underwrite some of the CBI expenses last year. Anyone remember hearing the same thing?

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
And it looks like I predicted this correctly.

Chalk one up for the resident Mr. Optimist on the board. :chuckle:

There was a discussion of Spain for 14-15.

sigmanorm

Starter
More time together for the team with good leadership can make the team stronger, the key is they need to be led to become a team. More basketball has to be a good thing!!

Patriotfan49

Starter
Are you expecting 9-22? 8-23?

I'm just curious why you always throw water on any positive post?

Im not expecting anything predicting is silly and ultimately pointless. Ill see what happens when the season starts and ends and then will we have an accurate idea where we are. But I see you are more infatuated with endless hypotheticals than the normal person. Could the Raiders catch some of that 1976 magic and win a SB if they simply rehire John Madden? Is that not a tad far fetched?

What did I say that was negative? While it would be great they bond and it changes the product on the court, you have to be realistic and understand not every situation that has happened (2010 trip) is immediately easily doable again in general, and for a completely different set of players/coaches/circumstances etc.. This goes for anything in life.....And like I said, to me its more about the indivdual guys themselves about buying into one another, and a team and adopting a hardworking, blue collar attitude....over a trip itself. While a trip worked for a seperate group of guys, and could work for this group, or maybe the current roster vibes in other ways. Being close and bonded isnt neccessarily dependant on taking a trip to somewhere, its more on the people themselves.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Personally, I could care less if our players love each other like brothers or are trying to bang each other's girlfriends, as long as they can function as a cohesive team for 40 (or more) minutes on the court.

Some of the best teams in sports history have had star players that literally hated each other's guts.

But with all the new faces coming in and current players adjusting to bigger roles, 10 or 15 additional team practices this summer absolutely will be valuable.

Big ups to the university and Patriot Club donors for making it happen.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Personally, I could care less if our players love each other like brothers or are trying to bang each other's girlfriends, as long as they can function as a cohesive team for 40 (or more) minutes on the court.

Some of the best teams in sports history have had star players that literally hated each other's guts.

But with all the new faces coming in and current players adjusting to bigger roles, 10 or 15 additional team practices this summer absolutely will be valuable.

Big ups to the university and Patriot Club donors for making it happen.

When Harry Met Sally -- most people don't know that Billie Crystal and Meg Ryan didn't actually get along off camera because the on screen chemistry was so amazing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
When Harry Met Sally -- most people don't know that Billie Crystal and Meg Ryan didn't actually get along off camera because the on screen chemistry was so amazing.

Shaq v. Kobe. 3 NBA titles together, despite the fact that they openly despised one another.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Pros: Extra playing time, getting beat up by older foreign players, perhaps picking up some of their craftiness, team bonding, TOC gets another Euro trip before heading out.

Con: First year players get worn out, budget impact for new AD/coach.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle....89&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209600556&DB_OEM_ID=25200

FAIRFAX, Va. - The George Mason men’s basketball team will get an early start to the 2014-15 season when the Patriots travel to Spain in August for a 10-day foreign tour. The trip will see the Patriots play four games against foreign club teams and visit three prominent Spanish cities and regions in Barcelona, Costa Brava and Valencia.

The Patriots will prepare for the foreign tour, which will take place August 12-21, with 10 practices beginning July 30.

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
I would have saved the trip for next year when it would be good bonding time for the team and the new head coach.

Seriously, a shame that most of the guys bonding together on this trip will be asking for a release after 2014-15