News Simpkins Stays?

JPgmuswim

Starter
My buddy told me a couple days ago that there’s strong chance Simpkins takes over as head coach of Dematha if VT hires Mike Jones away.

He15man

Starter
I get that Dematha is Dematha... one of the premier HS basketball teams in the country. But for some reason this just feels sideways to me. I get that he'd be the head coach there, but he's a key assistant on a D1 staff right now. Doesn't the latter put him just as close... if not closer... to a college head coaching job? Even if it's Dematha?

Maybe i'm just not respecting Dematha enough, but I'd just have to believe most college AD's with a head coach opening are going to give their first looks at guys who are part of college programs.

I get that Dematha is Dematha... one of the premier HS basketball teams in the country. But for some reason this just feels sideways to me. I get that he'd be the head coach there, but he's a key assistant on a D1 staff right now. Doesn't the latter put him just as close... if not closer... to a college head coaching job? Even if it's Dematha?

Maybe i'm just not respecting Dematha enough, but I'd just have to believe most college AD's with a head coach opening are going to give their first looks at guys who are part of college programs.

Agree that If he wants to be a DI coach first and foremost, the shorter route is still probably to stay at Mason/DI as an assistant.

If he goes to DeMatha it's because he wants to coach DeMatha long term. There are a lot of reasons to do so--more job security, more media coverage than a ton of DI head coaches get, coaching some of the best young talent in the country, etc.

And if he goes to DeMatha it certainly doesn't disqualify him from being a DI head coach down the road. He already has enough college assistant experience on his resume...

He15man

Starter
Agree that If he wants to be a DI coach first and foremost, the shorter route is still probably to stay at Mason/DI as an assistant.

If he goes to DeMatha it's because he wants to coach DeMatha long term. There are a lot of reasons to do so--more job security, more media coverage than a ton of DI head coaches get, coaching some of the best young talent in the country, etc.

And if he goes to DeMatha it certainly doesn't disqualify him from being a DI head coach down the road. He already has enough college assistant experience on his resume...
I suppose I could see that - him looking at Dematha as a long-term thing, vs. a stepping stone to something D1. Especially since it's his alma mater. The head coach at Dematha probably makes pretty good coin, as well... especially when you consider it's high school, after all. However, if he's thinking the head coaching gig at Dematha gets him closer to a D1 college job than being an assistant on a competitive college team... that's when I just don't see it. You're right... it's not unheard of for HS coaches to get offered college gigs, but I think that's going to be more the exception than the norm.

JPgmuswim

Starter

The rumors were Mike Jones was leaving for VT on Friday which hasn’t happened yet. If Simpkins loves the DMV and doesn’t want to move, likes job security and wants to be a head coach I think it all
makes sense.
I’m sure there was a point just a couple months ago where he wasn’t sure if he still had a job, and was trying to figure out what the next move might have to be.
Like you said if the end goal is being a D1 head coach then taking this job wouldn’t make sense.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Not disagreeing with you. But he has the college experience already, so maybe adding head coaching experience even at high school would be helpful.

He15man

Starter
I'm sure the basketball coach gets not just his annual salary, but lots of "bonuses" from AAU teams/leagues, shoe companies, media/interview obligations, etc.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Tuition at DeMatha is $20k/yr. Do children of faculty get free tuition? He has 3 children...are any of the other 2 about to start high school?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Went from love to like on Simp during his career here (too much of a yes man to DP at times IMO)... but I think this is a no brainer to go to Dematha and coach a top 15 program while also getting $60k per year in free tuition for his kids. Guy always seemed like a developer of young talent. Would be great for him to coach a premier program. Not sure he has a future as a HC at the college level (something and I don't know what seems to be missing)

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Went from love to like on Simp during his career here (too much of a yes man to DP at times IMO)... but I think this is a no brainer to go to Dematha and coach a top 15 program while also getting $60k per year in free tuition for his kids. Guy always seemed like a developer of young talent. Would be great for him to coach a premier program. Not sure he has a future as a HC at the college level (something and I don't know what seems to be missing)
How do private High schools work? Do athletes get scholarships haha?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Who would replace Simpkins. Perhaps Skinn (is it too late though).