Shevon Thompson Draft Stock

gmuballer14

Sixth Man
I don't get on here much but I read an article about Thompson's draft stock this morning. Chad Ford from ESPN states that Thompson is a sleeper for a late first round draft pick. I attached a screen shot for those who do not have ESPN insider can read the write up.
Screenshot_2015-01-14-09-22-40.png

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Shevon seems destined to be Hancock, part II -- except he has a much better chance of sticking in the NBA than Luke ever did.

If I was a friend or family member, I'd hook him up with a legit "big man coach" this summer and have him working 8 hours a day on post moves and footwork. If he can develop one go-to move and one counter -- say a jump hook, then a drop step -- he'll be absolutely unstoppable.

Assuming Hewitt gets fired after this season, I'd then help him transfer to a top-15 program -- think any of them might be interested in a 6-11 athletic freak with work ethic and huge upside? -- and continue to polish his game while redshirting.

One big year in the ACC or Big Ten, and Voila! Possible lottery pick and life-changing guaranteed contract.

That's obviously not the best outcome for us, but looking at it honestly, it's kind of ridiculous that a kid like Shevon fell into our laps anyhow.

As a basketball fan, it would be painful to see him wallowing around wasting his final year of college eligibility with this dogshit program.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Shevon seems destined to be Hancock, part II -- except he has a much better chance of sticking in the NBA than Luke ever did.

Why would you type something like this? And don't give me that because it's true Bullshite - we try to avoid ugly realities around here.

Don't make me start killing more basset hounds in your name too. I'll f'n do it!!!!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would you type something like this? And don't give me that because it's true Bullshite - we try to avoid ugly realities around here.

Don't make me start killing more basset hounds in your name too. I'll f'n do it!!!!

If you have to martyr somebody in my name, there are 2 candidates far more deserving than some innocent dog.

wijg

Starter
So, this thread has now created a nightmare scenario in my head.

It is possible, at this point, that Hewitt will still be the coach next year.
There is also a real chance that Thompson will not be at Mason next year.
There is a further chance that we could take an APR hit if Thompson left early for the draft and played the game previous draft bound players have done with their Spring semester.

This could be the biggest nightmare ever. I know it would be unlikely, but it is not outside the realm of possibilities. OK, enough gloom and doom scenarios for now...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Kids who are in good academic standing when going pro do not cause an APR penalty.

If you are a one and done, do u take a one credit bs class second semester? I really am curious what classes kentucky players are in 1st and 2nd semesters.

smccart5

Starter
This doesn't surprise me at all. Shevon is an great player and the main reason we we somewhat competitive.

Regarding coaching, I've heard that Mason does not have the cash to fire Hewitt. this is sad if true. To be honest I check the boards every day hoping to see the thread, "Hewitt steps down"

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Quoting myself from a post sent Nov. 28th:

"I think that at some major schools when alumni are unhappy with a coach that they help underwrite the "buyout". So perhaps the solution with respect to the state budget crunch issue is for the Patriot Club or similar entity is to give money to the university to help make it happen. Do we know if they are prepared to to that?"

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Considering Hewitt's contract has a lot of bonuses that have yet to be achieved (including an extra 85k for retention on March 1st), I'd be hard pressed to believe that Mason doesn't have the money to buy out Hewitt. Considering they had those bonuses written in and several haven't been used, I'm sure that could be helpful. If someone has the time and energy to see how much of those bonuses haven't been used, that would be helpful. I'm really not too worried.

With that said, Shevon Thompson getting to the NBA would be awesome. I think he still needs so work and polishing on the offensive side of the ball. Hopefully he gets put in a camp this summer that emphasizes those skills.

wijg

Starter
Kids who are in good academic standing when going pro do not cause an APR penalty.
I don't know the intricacies of the APR, but I was referring to possible situations like described in this article:

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2011/11/02/academic-fallout.html

After kids know they are going to the draft, in their second semester, after the basketball season is done, they can basically stop going to class as it does not affect them any longer. Now, OSU was on the quarter system, so maybe this is not as big a deal when you are the semester system. Not saying Thompson would do it, but, if his focus were landing a lucrative pro contract after the basketball season was done, I wouldn't blame him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jollay's nightmare: Hewitt is extended for 4 years, plus Thompson transfers to Miami, becomes a national sensation, becomes a lottery pick, and flashes the U hand sign before shaking Adam Silver's hand on stage.

Fair to say that would be my nightmare too.