SCOTUS Strikes Down Restrictions on Benefits Restrictions in Unanimous Vote

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Time will tell, but I believe this is going to be horrible for college athletics, especially for mid majors. You are going to have boosters paying kids before they even arrive on campus and the bigger school boosters will be able/willing to pay more. Some kids are going to prioritize money/endorsements over school and their craft. It is difficult enough for student athletes to juggle playing, practicing, class, homework, but now you throw in doing commercials or whatever else it is that they want to do to make money. I am not against kids being able to make a little something (outside of the full scholarship) but this is not the way to go...in my opinion.
Tough to guess the impacts, but since there are the same number of slots and the same number of people to fill them (with or without this rule, that is) I wonder if it will really impact that much other than to allow the players to get more of the available money.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I feel bad for all former players in the past that couldn't have taken advantage of this.

Cornelius.jpg
Copes.jpg
Pearson.jpg

Hancock.jpg

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
If the only thing that appealed to you about College Basketball was the fact that the players couldn't make money while they played it then you need to reorganize your priorities.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You are going to have boosters paying kids before they even arrive on campus and the bigger school boosters will be able/willing to pay more. Some kids are going to prioritize money/endorsements over school and their craft.
This is nothing new. Watch the documentary “Foul Play: Paid in Mississippi”.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tough to guess the impacts, but since there are the same number of slots and the same number of people to fill them (with or without this rule, that is) I wonder if it will really impact that much other than to allow the players to get more of the available money.
If I had to guess, I would agree that nothing really changes. The big schools already have all the advantages. If anything, this may give smart mid-majors an opportunity sign kids they may not have normally signed if they can find the NIL $$ to make it work. And I'm not saying all mid-majors; I think you have to be in the right situation with your staff, geographically, etc, etc to make it work. Some will and they will be rewarded for it.

Masonfan3

Starter
This is nothing new. Watch the documentary “Foul Play: Paid in Mississippi”.

Oh trust me, I know it is nothing new. However, now it will be legal or at least hard to prove that the payment wasn't to get the athlete to said school vs. paying them for their name/image/likeness.

Masonfan3

Starter

That is true but for a recruit it isn't all about the school/program/coaching anymore but now is also about who is going to pay you the most. I am only guessing here but I'd say that a kid would have a lot better chance at getting more money and endorsements at a Maryland than they would from Mason.

JPgmuswim

Starter
Time will tell, but I believe this is going to be horrible for college athletics, especially for mid majors. You are going to have boosters paying kids before they even arrive on campus and the bigger school boosters will be able/willing to pay more. Some kids are going to prioritize money/endorsements over school and their craft. It is difficult enough for student athletes to juggle playing, practicing, class, homework, but now you throw in doing commercials or whatever else it is that they want to do to make money. I am not against kids being able to make a little something (outside of the full scholarship) but this is not the way to go...in my opinion.
I agree, the blue bloods will be setting up sponsorship deals to go with the scholarships.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If I had to guess, I would agree that nothing really changes. The big schools already have all the advantages. If anything, this may give smart mid-majors an opportunity sign kids they may not have normally signed if they can find the NIL $$ to make it work. And I'm not saying all mid-majors; I think you have to be in the right situation with your staff, geographically, etc, etc to make it work. Some will and they will be rewarded for it.

Agreed - the power conference schools have always paid their players - they had to hide it to appear legal. This law just allows it to occur in the open. It doesn't mean more money will be spent on the P6 players - it will just be more direct.

However, mid-majors can get in on this as they don't need convoluted means to do so - they can just budget in a a pay plan.

What hasn't been discussed in the tax ramifications. All those under the table benefits were mostly tax free. Now that its codified as "legal" - the IRS will reach out its hand to take a cut. Additionally, this opens the door to athletic scholarships being taxable.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Think about the A-10/Mid-major markets where there are no Div. I football programs. Obi Toppin @ Dayton, the stars at Gonzaga, etc. - those types of players in those markets will do well. I doubt if the basketball or baseball players at U of Alabama will fare well.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Guys. The deals out there are influencer deals, tweeting, Instagram posts, TikTok, et cetera (there’s also one out there that pays athletes to play video games with fans online). Very few athletes will get any kind of major endorsement deals, if any. It’ll all be about their own online presence and their own hustle.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I know TickPick reached out to Gaines - not sure if anything will come from it. When you go by the name of Ticket, you might be able to capitalize on something.