Question: Why did this never happen? (Patriot Center renovations/expansions)

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It did happen pretty much as advertised except for the second floor office space above the expanded areas at each portal. The floor in the picture looks like tile - which was just a flair used by the architect - you don't put tile in that kind of floor area.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It talked about practice gym and expanding the PC out. When did that not get the okay?

The practice facility got shelved when it was apparent we weren't going to get private funding for it -- although, our last president, Merten, refused to allow our AD to actually ask for dedicated donations for said practice facility so who is to blame for that is kind of up in the air.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
The practice facility got shelved when it was apparent we weren't going to get private funding for it -- although, our last president, Merten, refused to allow our AD to actually ask for dedicated donations for said practice facility so who is to blame for that is kind of up in the air.

So Merten did not want to help retain Larranaga while the AD did? Hard to believe. o_O

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So Merten did not want to help retain Larranaga while the AD did? Hard to believe. o_O

It was part of Merten's overall philosophy. He felt that allowing the AD to ask for dedicated athletics donations would take away from the academic side's efforts.

On the contract negotiations leading to Larranaga's departure, Merten gave O'Connor clearance to offer about $1 million a year to Coach L, but O'Connor dropped the ball on countering Miami and the rest is history.

But this is all over litigated history at this point: new president, new AD, new coach. Time to move forward.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow. Always thought they were hommies.

They were extremely close, but old-school academics like Merten consider it inevitable for schools on our level to eventually lose the most successful coaches to deeper-pocketed suitors.

Eugene Trani, the old prez at vcu, had the same philosophy. He never seriously tried to keep Capel or Grant after they started getting overtures from P-5 schools because he assumed vcu could never compete financially.

When Mike Rao ponied up the $1M raise to keep Shaka after vcu's Final Four, a lot of people I know in Richmond were shocked. They figured Shaka would take a $3M offer from somebody and vcu would be in the market for a new coach again.

Hopefully Cabrera and Edwards will be proactive with salary upgrades and infrastructure investments if Paulsen gets this thing turned around; low-balling a coach until he's on a plane out of town isn't a strategy destined for succeess.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
When I Was at the game on Saturday. I noticed some improvements and overall more spiffy and updated appearance. The new sound system is awesome and you cannot even see it. There are more LCD screens in the main causeway. Food selection is better.

Broads, Buicks, and Buckley

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
When I Was at the game on Saturday. I noticed some improvements and overall more spiffy and updated appearance. The new sound system is awesome and you cannot even see it. There are more LCD screens in the main causeway. Food selection is better.

And they had Chic Fila (sp?) before the game!

By George.

Starter

If only the screens showed replays..... or anything