Practices have officially begun

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I heard Mayimba was practicing, so we can all take a step off the ledge.

Our freshmen's impact this year can only be minimal this year anyway unless one is 25 years old and preferably George Evans.

Who cares if this guy is practicing right now much anyway?

Best we can hope for is a couple play like Copes did his freshman year off the bench. Then they actually don't regress like Copes.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Per his Bio, he picked Mason over Miami and UVa. So yea, I wanna see him at practice and in the games. Hopefully, not sitting out listening to the Old Cuban's voicemails.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Our freshmen's impact this year can only be minimal this year anyway unless one is 25 years old and preferably George Evans.

Who cares if this guy is practicing right now much anyway?

Best we can hope for is a couple play like Copes did his freshman year off the bench. Then they actually don't regress like Copes.

With just 7 returning players including Vaughn Gray who's been Hewitt's doghouse for 2 seasons, I'm hoping for significant contributions from transfers or freshmen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
With just 7 returning players including Vaughn Gray who's been Hewitt's doghouse for 2 seasons, I'm hoping for significant contributions from transfers or freshmen.

Yep, if the freshmen don't give us more than Copes did his freshman season, we're gonna be even worse than last season.

It's not like we return much proven production beyond Jenkins and Holloway.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Maybe I am just looking through green-colored glasses, but with Jenkins a junior and Mayimba a sophomore and a young, hungry, up-and-coming coach, we will be big motor, heart on sleeve, bad asses next year. This year . . . not so much.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I am just looking through green-colored glasses, but with Jenkins a junior and Mayimba a sophomore and a young, hungry, up-and-coming coach, we will be big motor, heart on sleeve, bad asses next year.

If .........

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Mayimba's situation is due to the NCAA and paper work from when he was in school over in Africa. It is not injury related.

Figured as much. Any clue if this is a situation that could force him to sit out the season? The NCAA seems to be cracking down on transcript issues/grades from questionable high schools.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Figured as much. Any clue if this is a situation that could force him to sit out the season? The NCAA seems to be cracking down on transcript issues/grades from questionable high schools.

Exactly, I think this is what the concern centers around with Mayimba, not necessarily how he is practicing of what he will be able to contribute. Shevon Thompson's former teammate, Juan Cruz Aceda (sp?), is ineligible for Miami for the first semester due to an NCAA rule about enrolling within a year of HS graduation.

Yep, if the freshmen don't give us more than Copes did his freshman season, we're gonna be even worse than last season.

It's not like we return much proven production beyond Jenkins and Holloway.

Well, great. But guys like Folarin Campbell made the all rookie team...with 6 ppg.

Realistically freshmen rarely move the needle much, and realistically Mason's season rests more on the jumps the returnees make.

Of course I am hoping for production, but far more than likely if one or two just crack the 8-man and play defense/score a little, it will be about all we can expect.

So am I, but I'm just talking about the freshmen. Never seen a coach in jeopardy rely heavily on freshmen, and this bunch to me seems fairly raw, although promising.

Even if Hewitt completely gives up on Edwards and Gray, you know Thompson and Royal will play.

I'm hoping Lockett can score off the benchand the others can provide depth, energy and defense. Thats about it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So am I, but I'm just talking about the freshmen. Never seen a coach in jeopardy rely heavily on freshmen, and this bunch to me seems fairly raw, although promising.

Even if Hewitt completely gives up on Edwards and Gray, you know Thompson and Royal will play.

I'm hoping Lockett can score off the benchand the others can provide depth, energy and defense. Thats about it.

Well, someone has to back up Moore at the point, even if it's just for five minutes a night and if it's not Edwards that means a freshman (Jackson).

The same is true for Holloway, someone has to back him up at the SG spot, and Lockett to me does not look like a SG whatsoever; so who backs up Holloway if it's not Gray?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Mayimba's situation is due to the NCAA and paper work from when he was in school over in Africa. It is not injury related.

It's my understanding that Mayimba attended Montrose Christian for his sophomore & junior years, & Saint James for his senior year of high school. So, are you saying that the NCAA is checking his transcript for 9th grade in Gabon?

It's my understanding that Mayimba attended Montrose Christian for his sophomore & junior years, & Saint James for his senior year of high school. So, are you saying that the NCAA is checking his transcript for 9th grade in Gabon?
I think you can do the math. If he went to HS in the US for his 10th-12th grade years, and I commented that the NCAA is looking at his time in HS in Africa......

As I am the only one on these boards probably who has been to Gabon, I feel I can uniquely comment on the situation there.

The residents pile the streets high with garbage and it is dangerous to swim in the ocean because of sharks and medical waste.

However, the French left many tasty restaurants there in their wake.

But, I was afraid to hook up there because of AIDS.

I hope that clears things up about his eligibility.

Well, someone has to back up Moore at the point, even if it's just for five minutes a night and if it's not Edwards that means a freshman (Jackson).

The same is true for Holloway, someone has to back him up at the SG spot, and Lockett to me does not look like a SG whatsoever; so who backs up Holloway if it's not Gray?

True. It is likely Edwards will still be the backup, though, before we get funky. I don't doubt some combo of freshmen will fill in with spot duty at the wing, though, especially for defensive purposes.

Certainly the opportunity is there for minutes, especially at the 2/3. Wouldn't be surprised to see a frosh step up for 20 mpg--it's just that the impact will likely be minimal bottom line wise this season.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...s--much-of-the-league-rebuilds-220509877.html

Coach on the hot seat: Paul Hewitt, George Mason. When Hewitt arrived at George Mason three years ago, he was confident he'd thrive at the mid-major power. "There's only one thing left for me to do in college basketball, and that's try to win a national championship," he said in Oct. 2011. "I feel like we can do that here." Not only has Hewitt not achieved that goal so far, he also hasn't even made the NCAA tournament. The Patriots went 11-20 in their first season in the Atlantic 10 last year and return just 44.1 percent of their scoring, not a good sign for a coach who may be shown the door if he doesn't show progress this season.