Player Appreciation Thread

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Despite the unexpected way this season has gone, I appreciate that the players haven't given up or mailing it in.

They are still fighting hard each game to represent our University.

Good point. They're not perfect, but they're not mailing it in and doing their best to overcome the albatross around our program's neck.

Can't imagine how awful it must feel for our seniors to finish like this, considering the program they thought they were joining when they signed with Larranaga.

Well, Larranaga definitely would have scheduled more Norfolk and Savannah States, so they'd have a few more wins...

It does seem like the players haven't mailed it in yet, which is nice. By all accounts and H ewitt's they're a good bunch of guys.

Yeah, Jim, because the seniors themselves have no accountability where the program currently is, however.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Well, Larranaga definitely would have scheduled more Norfolk and Savannah States, so they'd have a few more wins...

It does seem like the players haven't mailed it in yet, which is nice. By all accounts and H ewitt's they're a good bunch of guys.

Yeah, Jim, because the seniors themselves have no accountability where the program currently is, however.

The seniors are accountable for their execution and team leadership. But, surely you would agree that Larranaga probably would have gotten more out of this team than Hewitt has?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like all our guys, even if they do have flaws. I hope they can take a day today to blow off steam, do something fun and non-basketball-related, and just mentally relax.

Bryon Allen has done just about all we could ask of him, and more, this season. Yes, he's tried to force some things late in games, but that's only because he wants to win, and he doesn't always have a lot of help.

Sherrod Wright may not be the perfect player we want him to be (leadership, ball-handling), but aside from a six-week slump this season, if he finishes the season strong, he looks likely to go down as one of the best shooters we've ever had. And even when he wasn't scoring, he was out there playing hard on defense.

Johnny Williams, Anali Okoloji, Corey Edwards, and Vaughn Gray never complain about their roles, despite what must be a frustrating situation. It was good to see Corey and Anali make big three-pointers in the last 2 games.

Erik Copes seems to finally be turning the corner and finding ways to contribute, including two different, legitimate post moves for baskets last night (1-handed hook shot over his left shoulder and 2-handed bank shot over his right shoulder).

Marquise Moore has given me hope that we won't need to live in fear of the press anymore, and his ability to get to the rim for layups reminds me of Allen as a sophomore -- only with a tighter handle.

Patrick Holloway has really improved his game this year. His mid-range floater and his reverse layup (with the backboard as a protector) really allow him to negate his size disadvantage and expand his game beyond the three-point shot.

Jalen Jenkins looks like Hewitt's best recruit to date. There's no reason he can't be an absolute star at Mason and as a professional, even if there is a coaching change in the next 4 years. If he really still has 2 inches to grow (I believe he's still only 18), then an NBA future isn't out of the question.

And Marko Gujanicic looked much improved earlier in the year. I assume he's dealing with an injury right now, but he's shown the production is there, and I have faith it will come back when he's 100%

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love our players and even though the time with Hewitt wasn't nearly the success they aniticpated, they can still learn a valuable lesson in life: The most likeable people in your life are not necessarily the best people for your development and maturity in life.

In other words, the best medicine doesn't always taste very good.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love our players and even though the time with Hewitt wasn't nearly the success they aniticpated, they can still learn a valuable lesson in life: The most likeable people in your life are not necessarily the best people for your development and maturity in life.

In other words, the best medicine doesn't always taste very good.

I was actually listening to something about this yesterday about practice. People confuse practice with deliberate practice. Whereas practice is sitting down doing the same thing over and over again, deliberate practice is the practice of skills that a person needs to improve at that particular time of their development and thus must change as the person gets better.

I wonder if that is our problem. We keep practicing the same things and the same way every day.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was actually listening to something about this yesterday about practice. People confuse practice with deliberate practice. Whereas practice is sitting down doing the same thing over and over again, deliberate practice is the practice of skills that a person needs to improve at that particular time of their development and thus must change as the person gets better.

I wonder if that is our problem. We keep practicing the same things and the same way every day.

Great point. I played football at Marshall U. We once played a game in which Tulane U. scored 45 points against us.

Luckily our offense scored 62 points so we won the game, but the lack of pressure on the QB lead our coach to switch up defensive practice to focus in on rushing the QB. All we did the next couple of weeks was practice pass rushing skills and exectuing different blitz packages until we got completely sick of it.

It worked, no team scored more than 21 points on us the rest of the year. Not saying Hewitt doesn't do this, I don't know. But the lack of improvement makes one question if this is the case.

wijg

Starter
If what we see on game day is any indication, I would say practice includes the following:
-Switching on every screen, especially ones where we are at a significant size disadvantage
-Missing free-throws
-Standing around on offense, looking confused
-Avoiding passes to Thompson to run an inside out offense
-Missing layups
-Leaving three point shooters wide open
-Hewitt practices subbing people in at inopportune times, especially Jenkins when the other team is fouling
-Hewitt practices momentum killing timeout calling
-Assistants practice playing the "who can be quiet the longest" game