OT: CAA Men's Basketball Tourney

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
KA, I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I seriously doubt Towson fans are feeling any better about their program this morning than we are. They haven't been to an NCAAT since 1990, and this season was yet another disappointing ending despite very high expectations.

Now they essentially have to start all over again with Benimin, Gutherie, Damas and Burwell graduating. Those four players accounted for 72% of Towson's points, 62% of their rebounds, 81% of their assists, 63% of their steals and 54% of their blocks.

They potentially have become a second Drexel in the CAA (always on the cusp, but never getting over the hump). If he doesn't get Towson to the NCAA's in the next two seasons the honeymoon will be over.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I seriously doubt Towson students and fans are planning the same Pat Skerry parade this morning as you and Hugh. Skerry absolutely deserves props for turning that program around, but this was his year to win the tournament with four senior starters — including CAA POY Benimon — and he fell short.

If the mission was to do better than Pat Kennedy, then Skerry absolutely accomplished that and then some. But in a year when Towson was picked to win the CAA, I can't imagine too many fans are thrilled with yet another an early exit in the CAA Tournament. They saw enough of that under Kennedy.

Note: If this is about Skerry being a better coach than Hewitt, I'd take Skerry any day of the week. That still doesn't overlook the fact that his team underperformed in Baltimore.

Perhaps not the same ticker-tape parade that you've been throwing Paul Ball 2.0 for three years, but I suspect the dozen or so that were following during the Kennedy years are happy.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
KA, I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I seriously doubt Towson fans are feeling any better about their program this morning than we are.

Well here's the Towson post-game thread.
http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?129121-Here-s-my-Take

I think we are nearing the end of the dark-tunnel era for the basketball team. There's light soon to be seen. I trust that we will have less frustrating seasons in a few seasons and especially rosters with more depth than we had this season. I like fresh, new seasons, so it will be interesting to see a new class of players come in, but I think next season will be a down season.

To continue, I would like to see the team in the CBI or CIT (if we don't get in the NIT). It might cost money but it's definitely worth it especially if we get a home game. It's an investment into promoting the program and keeping Skerry around another season.

I thought the crowd, which was a little less than 5,000, was incredible. They were great for two days and it's shame we couldn't play on Monday night with an even bigger crowd with more support. Two years ago, we were lucky to get 1,000 people at a game. We've come a long way.

Absolutely right, Mat. Even if the ending isn't what we wanted or necessarily representative of what this team was capable of, it doesn't diminish what they did. Home attendance doubled, interest shot up and supplemented that given to the football team. We made some huge statements. We showed up big time at the tournament we were barred from last year. Towson is back and the rest of the CAA knows it. We're a long way from 1-31.

Great year for Towson. Not for a vcu, ODU or even Delaware, which hasn't won a damn thing in 15 years. But for Towson, winning 41 games the last two years, it's pretty damn impressive.

WOW!! You're right TomGMU, they are screaming for blood right now - another solid reality based post as usual!!

I'd grab the Fire Skerry thread for comparison, but can't seem to find it. I guess ZA isn't supporting that site like he used to and the search function just isn't working. I'm sure that's it.

KAOriginal

All-American
KA, I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I seriously doubt Towson fans are feeling any better about their program this morning than we are. They haven't been to an NCAAT since 1990, and this season was yet another disappointing ending despite very high expectations.

Now they essentially have to start all over again with Benimin, Gutherie, Damas and Burwell graduating. Those four players accounted for 72% of Towson's points, 62% of their rebounds, 81% of their assists, 63% of their steals and 54% of their blocks.

But they have HOPE. Their coach demonstrated the ability to come in clean up, get better and better each year. Ours..not so much.

Here's to hoping our first "rebuild" under Hewitt actually turns out something worth watching....

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps not the same ticker-tape parade that you've been throwing Paul Ball 2.0 for three years...

Hilarious. You cite a thread with three or four Towson fans, the most educated of which (matt1992) says: "This was one of the most disappointing losses in the last decade-and-a-half of this athletic program." Conveniently forget that in your cut-and-paste job, Huey.

Nobody disputes Skerry is good coach or diminishing what he accomplished in rebuilding the program. You just picked the wrong day to act like he's the second coming when anybody with a basketball IQ realizes he got out-coached yesterday. This was Towson's chance to get back to the NCAAT for the first time in 24 years, and he laid an egg.

KAOriginal

All-American
Well here's the Towson post-game thread.
http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?129121-Here-s-my-Take

I think we are nearing the end of the dark-tunnel era for the basketball team. There's light soon to be seen. I trust that we will have less frustrating seasons in a few seasons and especially rosters with more depth than we had this season. I like fresh, new seasons, so it will be interesting to see a new class of players come in, but I think next season will be a down season.
To continue, I would like to see the team in the CBI or CIT (if we don't get in the NIT). It might cost money but it's definitely worth it especially if we get a home game. It's an investment into promoting the program and keeping Skerry around another season.

I thought the crowd, which was a little less than 5,000, was incredible. They were great for two days and it's shame we couldn't play on Monday night with an even bigger crowd with more support. Two years ago, we were lucky to get 1,000 people at a game. We've come a long way.

Absolutely right, Mat. Even if the ending isn't what we wanted or necessarily representative of what this team was capable of, it doesn't diminish what they did. Home attendance doubled, interest shot up and supplemented that given to the football team. We made some huge statements. We showed up big time at the tournament we were barred from last year. Towson is back and the rest of the CAA knows it. We're a long way from 1-31.

Great year for Towson. Not for a vcu, ODU or even Delaware, which hasn't won a damn thing in 15 years. But for Towson, winning 41 games the last two years, it's pretty damn impressive.

WOW!! You're right TomGMU, they are screaming for blood right now - another solid reality based post as usual!!

I'd grab the Fire Skerry thread for comparison, but can't seem to find it. I guess ZA isn't supporting that site like he used to and the search function just isn't working. I'm sure that's it.

Now QD...you know you cherry picked those statements. Just like someone could come on here and find the "Paul Hewitt is a god" postings......

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
KA, when did this become a debate over Skerry and Hewitt? This was is a CAAT thread that was created so basketball fans could discuss our old conference. I came here, because I watched all of the games Saturday and Sunday on TV. If people want to bash Hewitt, we have several threads to do so.

I already said I'd take Skerry in a heartbeat over Hewitt — and that's coming from somebody who has supported Hewitt in his first few seasons. I'm sure Skerry will bring in some good players and have them back in contention in a few years, but to say this season was a wasted opportunity when they were they preseason favorite would be a major understatement.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
No..you are right o
KA, when did this become a debate over Skerry and Hewitt? This was is a CAAT thread that was created so basketball fans could discuss our old conference. I came here, because I watched all of the games Saturday and Sunday on TV. If people want to bash Hewitt, we have several threads to do so.

I already said I'd take Skerry in a heartbeat over Hewitt — and that's coming from somebody who has supported Hewitt in his first few seasons. I'm sure Skerry will bring in some good players and have them back in contention in a few years, but to say this season was a wasted opportunity when they were they preseason favorite would be a major understatement.

It was a wasted opportunity for them, no doubt.

I am just suffering from Hewitt fatigue at this point.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I am just suffering from Hewitt fatigue at this point.

I hear you. Even I am suffering from Hewitt fatigue, and I have defended his right the last three years to make his mark on our program. Unfortunately, that mark has been negative up to this point.

Anyway, I think it should be a great CAA final tonight. I'm rooting for W&M just because they've never been to the NCAAT, but I'm afraid Delaware has too much firepower. It will be interesting to see what kind of gameplan Shaver comes up with.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think Hewitt is probably suffering from Hewitt fatigue. His over animated vexed looks on the sideline have gotten worse as the loses have piled up.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Hewitt is probably suffering from Hewitt fatigue. His over animated vexed looks on the sideline has gotten worse as the loses have piled up.

Walt, Hewitt has definitely grayed a lot in the last three years. Tony Shaver, meanwhile, is the CAA's version of Dorian Gray. Dude never ages, and his mustache continues to get better with age.

Tony_Shaver_Mens_Basketball_coach_at_William_Mary_49942.jpg

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Benimon played a large part in Towson losing that game in the waning minutes of the game. He's done great things during his time at Towson, but I'm sure he'd like to forget the last few minutes of that one.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Nobody disputes Skerry is good coach or diminishing what he accomplished in rebuilding the program. You just picked the wrong day to act like he's the second coming when anybody with a basketball IQ realizes he got out-coached yesterday. This was Towson's chance to get back to the NCAAT for the first time in 24 years, and he laid an egg.

I know you like to make up "facts" to support your ramblings and hate when your comments are thrown in your face to make you silly......but here's what you said to make you look silly.

I seriously doubt Towson fans are feeling any better about their program this morning than we are.

Read the thread TomGMU, they aren't feeling like we are. As KA said, there's a world O' difference between a single loss to the #3 seed and setting records for losses.

You go ahead and enjoy the shiny new car we traded in for though.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Read the thread TomGMU, they aren't feeling like we are.

Please tell me you're not still citing a forum with three Towson fans, the most knowledgeable of which stated: "This was one of the most disappointing losses in the last decade-and-a-half of this athletic program." Even KA called you out on your BS conclusion, yet you continue to ramble on.

For the sake of people who came here to discuss the CAAT, please feel free to share your insight about tonight's game. Should be a good one. I'm pulling for the Tribe. How about you?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Please tell me you're not still citing a forum with three Towson fans, the most knowledgeable of which stated: "This was one of the most disappointing losses in the last decade-and-a-half of this athletic program." Even KA called you out on your BS conclusion, yet you continue to ramble on.

For the sake of people who came here to discuss the CAAT, please feel free to share your insight about tonight's game. Should be a good one. I'm pulling for the Tribe. How about you?

Wait...I didn't say that! haha

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
EXpatriot13, getting this back to the CAAT, I do agree with your earlier comment about Benimon forcing things too much. Skerry admitted he was going to ride his star player in crunch time — like any good coach would do —but Benimom unfortunately got too much out of control.

Anyway, game is starting soon. Hope it's a good one!