NIL Thread

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How many power conf schools vs non power conf schools are there?

Is the Big East in the power 5?

Is it determined by who has made more money from ncaa tourney? Maybe it should be bc Gonzaga shouldn't pay what we pay.

No they aren’t. They are one of the ones pissed about the deal.

GunstonsGhost

Preferred Walk-On

Is it determined by who has made more money from ncaa tourney? Maybe it should be bc Gonzaga shouldn't pay what we pay.
I had the same thought. I think it was mostly referring to football, but I didn't dig too deep.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I had the same thought. I think it was mostly referring to football, but I didn't dig too deep.
It's based on total NCAA distributions over the past 10 years, regardless of sport. So the football schools will generally pay more than the non-football schools, but the Big East is getting hit hard because they won a lot of NCAAT basketball games.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
NCAA, Power Five conferences vote to approve $2.8B settlement in House, Hubbard and Carter cases https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-p...house-hubbard-and-carter-cases-001736810.html

Under the approved framework, the NCAA will fund 41% of the damages ($1.1 billion) while the schools will fund 59% ($1.65 billion) over the 10-year payback period. At issue is the schools’ portion. The power conferences will pay about $664 million in contributions to the damages. The other 27 non-power conferences will pay $990 million — a split that has angered those from non-power leagues.
Seems absurd. Can’t imagine this is proportional to revenue from NCAA sponsored events.

nynva

Preferred Walk-On

the article said 27 non-power conferences and then there's the P5. 3 conferences have their own networks should be responsible for an even larger share ( does MLB make market related adjustments?)

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
So are we mostly off the hook because we didn't receive a lot of NCAA tournament money? Or is it based on the conference? Unlike most conferences, the A10 doesn't distributed evenly.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
On Tony Kornheiser's podcast today, Sally Jenkins was talking about her recent column that the need was to control the behavior of the universities more than the behavior of the athletes. She proposed that the athletic administrators/coaches be paid what the university wanted to pay them, but they then would have to make an equal amount of money available to the athletes (presumably to divide up).

Schools would then have to decide on how much of a total budget they could afford and that would effectively keep from the continuation of skyrocketing salaries for the big time coaches, some of whom continue to draw significant sums after they are fired.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
NIL Event

You are invited on behalf of the Patriot Nation Collective, Kathy McKay & Jim McKay Chevrolet to an evening of fun, food, and hoops! Join your George Mason Basketball Teams next Thursday, you won't want to miss it!

mail

NIL Event

You are invited on behalf of the Patriot Nation Collective, Kathy McKay & Jim McKay Chevrolet to an evening of fun, food, and hoops! Join your George Mason Basketball Teams next Thursday, you won't want to miss it!

mail
Do you think they did the T and N linked together like that since the G and M are linked in the George Mason logo? Are interlocked letters in vogue?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
NIL Event

mail
We are just one week away from the meet & greet with our 2024-25 Patriot Basketball teams at Jim McKay Chevrolet on Thursday June 27. This event was great last year and was one of our most well attended events of the year.

If you plan to attend, please email Natalie Dillon at ndillon@4mckay.com with first and last name, and number of adults/children by Monday, June 24.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We are just one week away from the meet & greet with our 2024-25 Patriot Basketball teams at Jim McKay Chevrolet on Thursday June 27. This event was great last year and was one of our most well attended events of the year.

If you plan to attend, please email Natalie Dillon at ndillon@4mckay.com with first and last name, and number of adults/children by Monday, June 24.
My first car was a 1966 Chevy Nova 283 from Jim McKay.