If you could only keep three...

After the sacking is complete...obviously you would want to keep more, but...who are the three you would keep to form the genesis of the rebuilding? Me:

Thompson, senior
Porter, sophomore
Jackson, sophomore

Tough choices. Moore would certainly be an option, as would the rest of the freshmen.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If the goal is to build the program back up, I'd have to go with all young guys. That's not to slight Thompson, who is our best player right now, but more about looking ahead a few years.

With that in mind, I'd keep Porter, Jenkins and Mayimba (just based on what I have heard about his upside). It's tough for me to to leave Holloway and Moore off, because I need them as my PG and SG. Unfortunately, I can't worry about the present, so I'd even put Jackson and Lockett ahead of both of them.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Porter, Mayimba, and Jackson.

That being said, I feel Jenkins would probably stay due to already redshirting so that why I didn't include him.

Dawgs99

Starter
I would also go with Porter, Mayimba, and Jackson. A good core group of guys to build around. Also those 3 give you a guard, wing, and center. Good way to start the rebuild. Lets hope we do clean house in the coaches office sooner rather than later.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I say Jenkins, Moore, and Jackson. But I could see arguments for Porter. I would have said Thompson but Jollay brings up a good point about building for the future (yes, I realize I said two juniors, but still).

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mayimba, Jackson, Lockett.

I think Jenkins would stay regardless. The kid loves to play and wouldn't see him sit out another year.

Porter needs to add muscle or he will get pushed around his entire career plus he needs to learn every ball cannot be dunked. Still very raw.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
Actually as much as I like Thompson and as poorly as he's played this year, I forgot Jenkins has two years left after next.

So, Jenkins, Jackson, Porter.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Actually as much as I like Thompson and as poorly as he's played this year, I forgot Jenkins has two years left after next.

So, Jenkins, Jackson, Porter.

If you choose Jenkins who will be a redshirt junior next season:

How likely is it that the new coach will have the Patriots successfully competing in the A10 by Jenkins' senior season; and

Is it likely that he will primarily play the "3" or "4"?

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
If you choose Jenkins who will be a redshirt junior next season:

How likely is it that the new coach will have the Patriots successfully competing in the A10 by Jenkins' senior season; and

Is it likely that he will primarily play the "3" or "4"?

I think it is reasonable the Patriots can be very competitive by Jenkins' senior season if most of the young guys stay. I think a lot of the Patriots' holes can be filled fairly quickly. Young 2's and 3's who can play, or at least score a little, are fairly easily found. But the point could be a big problem if Marquis doesn't develop more--point guards are not as easily found.

I actually think Jenkins could be a three in his junior year if necessary, just with a different coach and different offense. The question is, if you envision him as your starting 4 as a senior, why bother to experiment?

I would just put him as the 4 next to Thompson. That is enough size to compete in the A-10 right there. It would be unfortunate Marko would be relegated to a backup 4, but I want my young guys getting time at the 2,3 over the unnatural experiment that is going on now.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer

If we make the right hire, realistically in year one we'll be a little bit better than we are now. In year two (Jenkins senior year) we will be middle of the pack in the A10. In five years we'll be in the top third and competing for championships.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I dont think we know what JJ can really do. OR any of our kids. I would keep them all. At the least give em a chance to see what its like to be coached be a real coach.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If I understand this thread correctly, the question is who are the 3 key players to be the basis for the next coach's rebuilding project? To really answer this question, IMO you also have to answer at least 2 other questions:

Which players will be on next season's roster if Hewitt is terminated; and
Which of these players will most effectively adapt to the new coach's system?

As of now, there are 11 scholarships players anticipated to be on the next season's roster (including recruit Ahmad Gilbert). I would expect about 2 of them to leave voluntarily.

It's hard to speculate on which players will most effectively adapt to the new coach's system. But, it appears to me, that some of the current players are having difficulties in adapting to the current offensive system. Is it likely that they will also have problems adapting to the next coach's system?

IMO, there were 2 key players that Westhead left for Larranaga's rebuilding project: recruit George Evans & rising sophomore Ahmad Dorsett. Both of them were effective leaders and adapted quickly to Larranaga's system.