"I Did Not Tell Them to Foul"

Pablo

Hall of Famer
At the postgame press conference, Coach Hewitt made it clear that during the timeout with 12.1 seconds remaining (with the team up by 3 before Jenkins attempted the 2nd of 2 FT's) he did not instruct the team to foul. His reasoning was that he believed based on his previous games vs. McKillop (while Hewitt was at Siena & GT) that he would run a quick play & he didn't want to foul too early in the possession and extend the game. But, with about 7 seconds remaining, Hewitt said that he started yelling to foul. He said that Tate heard him and attempted to foul but didn't get the call.

This is inexcusable! During the timeout, he should have explained when to foul. Because it certainly appeared to me that other than possibly Tate (including Jackson who defended Sullivan on the tying 3-pt. FG) the Patriots were not trying to foul before the shot attempt.

Last edited:

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
This is inexcusable! During the timeout, he should have explained when to foul. Because it certainly appeared to me that other than possibly Tate (including Jackson who defended Sullivan on the tying 3-pt. FG) the Patriots were not trying to foul before the shot attempt.

That's funny that Tate was the only one that heard anything and he hasn't played much all season. You would also think the team practices for situation just like this (well, no one thinks that a free throw would not hit the rim).

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Great in game coaching right there. I mean really top notch. Plan on not fouling, then decide to foul, no wonder our kids play the way they do. Mind f**ked. Epic failure.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Of course he didnt. Because even a decent coach....or anybody in that arena minus Hewitt would instruct them to do so. 3>2 soooooo why would we not give them a chance at 2 points, while maintaining the lead and getting the ball back for fts meanwhile taking more time off the clock and forcing them to bring the ball up again?

They burned alot of time before they got a shot off, so at any point before the shot would have sufficed. But how does it not cross your mind DURING THE TIMEOUT that Davidson provided you to say hey, after Jenkins free throw make or miss foul them once they cross half court?

Last edited:
Agree w/ Pablo. Actually fine with either method, but especially with this team you can't change your mind mid-stream.

Ridiculous to expect that in a fairly loud arena end of game.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Did anyone else notice how disheveled hewitt looked at the game, perhaps he has been told his fate

I doubt that he's been told anything yet, but clearly he's smart enough to be able to know that he's under the gun. The Washington Post article made that quite clear.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Did anyone else notice how disheveled hewitt looked at the game, perhaps he has been told his fate

Not that hard to figure it out that his end is near and his reputation as a head coach will be in the crapper. Not sure if a guy w/his coin in the bank would want to be in a minor conference or as an assistant, but those are going to be his only two options if he ever wants to coach again.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Not that hard to figure it out that his end is near and his reputation as a head coach will be in the crapper. Not sure if a guy w/his coin in the bank would want to be in a minor conference or as an assistant, but those are going to be his only two options if he ever wants to coach again.

I think he'd be a good director of recruiting (is that even an official position?) at an American or Towson-like school.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure he's enough of an extravert to want to be an ESPN-type talking head, but I think he could handle that sort of work. If Seth Greenberg can do it, why not Hewitt?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Especially when you know that your players struggle to pick up your signals from the sidelines, you absolutely have to go over all the scenarios in the timeout. And your players should already have been coached in the scenario anyway. Either they should know your default strategy, or they should know to look to the sideline for a simple hand signal that tells them which strategy to employ. All of that is simple preparation stuff that any high school coach ought to know how to do. Embarrassing.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not sure he's enough of an extravert to want to be an ESPN-type talking head, but I think he could handle that sort of work. If Seth Greenberg can do it, why not Hewitt?
Didn't CBS have Hewitt in studio on a few March Madness broadcasts a couple years ago? He was really good the one time I saw him.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I also think Hewitt would be good in the studio. He is not without talent. Too bad coaching isn't one of his talents.