Has the "Marko Experiment" Ended?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Junior forward Marko Gujanicic started all 7 games this season at the "3" position, but it was Vaughn Gray who started the 2nd half last night at the "3". Marko is averaging just 1.0 points per game while shooting 17.6% (3-17) from the floor this season including 0-4 behind the arc. And, Marko has never been known for his defensive skills.

If Marko doesn't have the skills to play the "3" at this level, then why is he even playing this position? But, more importantly, why has he regressed in his career?

Bricker

Starter
I dunno but he looked just awful last night. At one point within the span of like 25 seconds, he allowed an easy layup, made a terrible choice on the offensive end to shoot a highly contested shot very early in the shot clock, then proceeded to give up another easy bucket on the break.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
But, more importantly, why has he regressed in his career?

You make this just too easy.

paulhewitt.jpg

Well, personally my rotation would be him backing up Jenkins at the 4, but I would hate to take Copes' four points a game out of the mix.

If Marko stays, he's the backup four next year.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Hopefully he is a good student and can graduate this summer and move on...he's not very good. At all...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Weren't people comparing him to Luke in the beginning ??

There were comparisons because he was able to handle the ball, break presses and shoot 3s.

With that said, I think Marko is a good CAA player. He was more athletic than many at that level, and the ability to break presses and shoot made him a mismatch.

That said, against higher level competition he doenst defend well and provides little offense against better defenses. He can occasionally help break a press or move the ball so he might come in handy against pressing teams.

I really don't get why he still starts, but I assume its because Royal is hurt. I guess you could always start Gray Copes and Thompson up front, or put Jenkins Copes and Thompson out there. Starters don't matter much anyway, but its weird he still starts. Its eerily similiar to how Okoloji would start and play like 10 minutes a game, if not less. :bricks:

Last edited:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd start Jackson. He certainly has more upside than Marko and since this is a lost season already, let the kid get some experience. Then we'll know if he can play or not. I think we all know Marko can't and if Jackson can't, so what, its not like we are playing for an at-large bid. We have nothing to lose, IMO.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
on more than one occasion we have wondered why players have regressed. It's simple they get mind f***** the longer they stay in Fairfax. instead getting the most out of the players has this bozo raises the bar and tries to see who can touch it and go from there. When he sees the players aren't reaching the heights that he expects he responds with arm crossing pouting and blame shifting.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
on more than one occasion we have wondered why players have regressed. It's simple they get mind f***** the longer they stay in Fairfax. instead getting the most out of the players has this bozo raises the bar and tries to see who can touch it and go from there. When he sees the players aren't reaching the heights that he expects he responds with arm crossing pouting and blame shifting.

What a difference a year makes.

http://www.masonhoops.com/board/threads/player-development-vs-team-development.87/

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You guys dont know the rules? It was an exchange, Vaughn Gray come out of the doghouse and Marko is sacrificed and goes in.

It certainly seems that way, but I for the life of me can't figure out why he keeps starting him then. Some players definitely thrive in Hewitt's isolation offense (Pearson, Sherrod, Jenkins last year), but it really exposes guys like Marko who seem to perform better within a team concept.

Marko has shown he has the talent to put up occasional double-doubles, but the poor guy just seems misused and lost this year. I see Holloway in the same boat. Imagine how well Patrick would do in Tony Shaver's offense. Shaver would find ways to get him more shots rather than Hewitt's system which forces him to drive the lane and throw up garbage when he's not taking contest 30-footers.

Patriotfan49

Starter
It certainly seems that way, but I for the life of me can't figure out why he keeps starting him then. Some players definitely thrive in Hewitt's isolation offense (Pearson, Sherrod, Jenkins last year), but it really exposes guys like Marko who seem to perform better within a team concept.

Marko has shown he has the talent to put up occasional double-doubles, but the poor guy just seems misused and lost this year. I see Holloway in the same boat. Imagine how well Patrick would do in Tony Shaver's offense. Shaver would find ways to get him more shots rather than Hewitt's system which forces him to drive the lane and throw up garbage when he's not taking contest 30-footers.

It is a shame. He kept starting AO for a while for 2-3 minutes then buried him on the bench. We should probably no longer try and figure out what Hewitt is thinking, none of it makes sense.

I cant stand the man, or the coach that Hewitt has portrayed himself as....but at this point, Im just sad. Its sad to see the players still giving it all, and then certain guys you had much higher hopes for just become misfit toys and really drastically regress. Holloway really really for some reason stood out to me last night at how far he is from what I and probably most of us thought he would become. He was brutally bad.