GMU Athletic Department

GMU's Athletic Department received NCAA wrist slap for Financial Aid violations. This may be the direct reason why we saw so much turnover within the Athletic Department over the summer months. They had one job. Ugh.

The committee prescribed the following penalties and corrective measures:
  • One year of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine.
  • A reduction of 0.44 scholarships (10%) in men's volleyball over the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years.
  • Required attendance at a Regional Rules Seminar by July 2022 for select staff in the financial aid department.
  • A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GMU's Athletic Department received NCAA wrist slap for Financial Aid violations. This may be the direct reason why we saw so much turnover within the Athletic Department over the summer months. They had one job. Ugh.

The committee prescribed the following penalties and corrective measures:
  • One year of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine.
  • A reduction of 0.44 scholarships (10%) in men's volleyball over the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years.
  • Required attendance at a Regional Rules Seminar by July 2022 for select staff in the financial aid department.
  • A vacation of all records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public release of the decision.
"The NCAA enforcement staff and school agreed that, over the course of four academic years, the school improperly provided scholarships exceeding full cost of attendance on 27 occasions to 18 student-athletes in four sports, including women's basketball, men's basketball, women's volleyball and women's track and field. In total during this period, approximately $35,800 was awarded in impermissible scholarships. As a result of the impermissible scholarships, 17 of the student-athletes competed in 196 contests while ineligible."

Chump change in comparison to what the big schools get away with. Still, I expect us to play by the rules. We apparently did not and the punishment (minor) fits the crime (minor).

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
"The NCAA enforcement staff and school agreed that, over the course of four academic years, the school improperly provided scholarships exceeding full cost of attendance on 27 occasions to 18 student-athletes in four sports, including women's basketball, men's basketball, women's volleyball and women's track and field. In total during this period, approximately $35,800 was awarded in impermissible scholarships. As a result of the impermissible scholarships, 17 of the student-athletes competed in 196 contests while ineligible."

Chump change in comparison to what the big schools get away with. Still, I expect us to play by the rules. We apparently did not and the punishment (minor) fits the crime (minor).
Absolutely. Regardless of what one may think of the NCAA, I expect us to be above breaking the rules.

He15man

Starter
This is complete crap - probation and a fine for what? $35K (total) in extra scholarship money across 18 kids? What's that... about $2100 average? What-the-f**k-ever.... P5 football players get handshakes more expensive than that after big games, and the NCAA is mysteriously looking the other way when that happens.

I can't wait for the NCAA to literally destroy itself and become a footnote in athletic history. What a completely inconsistent, useless organization....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is complete crap - probation and a fine for what? $35K (total) in extra scholarship money across 18 kids? What's that... about $2100 average? What-the-f**k-ever.... P5 football players get handshakes more expensive than that after big games, and the NCAA is mysteriously looking the other way when that happens.

I can't wait for the NCAA to literally destroy itself and become a footnote in athletic history. What a completely inconsistent, useless organization....

2,100 over four years. So a little over 500 per year per player.

It looks like a compliance issue (people signing off on awards without looking at them and checking).

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My friend had a great question on text the other day...does this mean individual stats are vacated from any newly determined forfeits?

Like, say blocks, LOL?
if said player was one of the people with the scholarship issue than yes that is exactly what it says... Seems like Mens Volleyball was the worst culprit in this. Odds are our block leader isn't one of the athletes in question... Seemed to be a new player issue that was not properly handled

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
if said player was one of the people with the scholarship issue than yes that is exactly what it says... Seems like Mens Volleyball was the worst culprit in this. Odds are our block leader isn't one of the athletes in question... Seemed to be a new player issue that was not properly handled

Yeah and on volleyball it looks like the players were awarded too much in academic scholarships that put them over the scholarship cap? How horrible.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I want to know how many tractors we bought people with this money. Oh, wait, at less than $36k total, that doesn't buy a whole lot of tractor, let alone multiple...

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Makes me wonder if this SNAFU was a factor in both Coach Paulsen's and Coach Milleson's departures?? :unsure:

Last edited: