Game 32: A10 Tournament - #8 GMU (20-11 / 9-9) vs #9 St. Joe’s (19-12 / 9-9).

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tough matchup again. We have them beat in the coaching department, but they are a more talented roster. Similar to last time I don’t think we matchup super great. Gonna need Billups to go captain America again defensively and we’re going to have to limit 2nd chance points. I think we’ve got a shot but if we are trying to run and gun with them I think their talent will pull away. Muck this up and make it ugly, make Billy Lange have to try to beat you.
Yes, they have weapons on the offensive side, but as Duquense, Richmond, Loyola, and vcu showed, you beat them by not engaging and slowing things down, which we will be able to do. With KH sidelined, we are SO much better at close outs on threes. Teams are hitting at a ~20% against us from deep since KH hit the bench. A very different story for much of the year.

Even if KH is a "go" I'm rolling with this squad. I like Okojie on Xzavier Brown, Billups on Reynolds. Cam Brown can't cover Maddox, and Kelly should handle Essandoko (who's out of shape and can't cover Kelly or help).

Wild card is Newton vs Fleming...but Woody is coming in on a definite high.

Ace in the hole? Skinn > Lange.

Can't wait.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, they have weapons on the offensive side, but as Duquense, Richmond, Loyola, and vcu showed, you beat them by not engaging and slowing things down, which we will be able to do. With KH sidelined, we are SO much better at close outs on threes. Teams are hitting at a ~20% against us from deep since KH hit the bench. A very different story for much of the year.

Even if KH is a "go" I'm rolling with this squad. I like Okojie on Xzavier Brown, Billups on Reynolds. Cam Brown can't cover Maddox, and Kelly should handle Essandoko (who's out of shape and can't cover Kelly or help).

Wild card is Newton vs Fleming...but Woody is coming in on a definite high.

Ace in the hole? Skinn > Lange.

Can't wait.
Don't mess with success.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Any word of a watch party in the Fairfax area for those of us not able to travel to New York?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The only game that matters right now is the next game, so I don't want to look ahead too much, but winning two games and making the semifinals for the first time would be a nice statement that this is not the same old Mason.
This.

Am I upset with a 20 win season? Of course not. But I also don’t believe we have to be satisfied with that just because our coach is in his first season, the bar can be raised further.

Let’s change the narrative! Let’s go!

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This team could have easily packed it in and hung their heads when at-large was off the table. Same when top4 was off the table. Same when Keygate happened. Same during any of the multigame losing streaks.

Each time this team faced adversity, they responded and performed better - that is a credit to the testicular fortitude of the team and the COACHING. Very optimistic that Tony is a guy kids want to play for/stick with, and that he and his staff have the ability to get the most out of the players.

Excited to have a defensive first team and even more so for the future. I have no doubt they will be ready today, but also wouldn't be surprised or too disheartened by a loss to SJU (b/c of their talent), Richmond (b/c they are legitimately a good team), or to any other team we may face after - good teams across the Board in the top 9 of the conference.

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On
I could make the argument that if Keyshawn Hall was on the floor we wouldn't have fell down 9-2 to start the game. Time to put him in coach!

illayin

Sixth Man
I could make the argument that if Keyshawn Hall was on the floor we wouldn't have fell down 9-2 to start the game. Time to put him in coach!

Is he on the bench and dressed? I am at work watching on my phone

Edit: nvm see he’s in the game now