Game 27: AT University of Dayton, Wednesday, February 25th, 7 PM, MASN

polepino

Starter
2nd game in a row I had little interest in seeing. Totally did other things while this was on. Not surprised at the result.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was at Navy @ American tonight and saw Ernie Nestor on the bench for Navy. Seems like I didn't miss too much by not watching MASN....

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Why did Thompson only play 20 minutes in this game? He hurt?

Hewitt benched Thompson 5 minutes into the first half when he picked up his second could and didn't put him back in until there was 1.2 seconds left before half. Thompson played normally in the second half, without picking up any additional fouls. Thus Hewitt's benching did as I predicted, and guaranteed that Thompson would play no more than 20 minutes the entire game. He did the same thing with Jenkins recently.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Hewitt benched Thompson 5 minutes into the first half when he picked up his second could and didn't put him back in until there was 1.2 seconds left before half. Thompson played normally in the second half, without picking up any additional fouls. Thus Hewitt's benching did as I predicted, and guaranteed that Thompson would play no more than 20 minutes the entire game. He did the same thing with Jenkins recently.

There may be lots to complain about the coach, but my observations are that taking a guy out in the first half when he picks up his second foul is pretty common strategy. My sense is that it is a precautionary measure so that the player is more likely to be available in the closing minutes of the game. You can argue against that strategy, but it is hardly Hewitt specific.

S

Saul Pewitt

Spectator
There may be lots to complain about the coach, but my observations are that taking a guy out in the first half when he picks up his second foul is pretty common strategy. My sense is that it is a precautionary measure so that the player is more likely to be available in the closing minutes of the game. You can argue against that strategy, but it is hardly Hewitt specific.

Exactly!! Coach Hewitt with the smart strategy again. If only these kids would listen to his game plan and make shots they'd also be champs.

Are you aware Coach Hewitt took a team to the national championship? That's absolute proof he know what he's doing. I ask you, what's this class of Seniors done in four years that can match that?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Exactly!! Coach Hewitt with the smart strategy again. If only these kids would listen to his game plan and make shots they'd also be champs.

Are you aware Coach Hewitt took a team to the national championship? That's absolute proof he know what he's doing. I ask you, what's this class of Seniors done in four years that can match that?

Are you also aware he was paid 7.2 million to go away over five years, and may be getting paid from 2 jobs next year? :D

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To be precise, he took a team (with some good assistants) to the national championship game.

And even the year he went to the national title game, the team barely finished .500 in the regular season (10-8). Hewitt finished above.500 ONCE in the regular season the entire time he was at Tech. He caught lightning in a bottle for 3 weeks and has been getting paid for those 3 weeks ever since.

Hewitt is a F R A U D

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
So I listened to Hewitt's pregame interview on the radio yesterday (thoughts out to Jackson as he deals with the loss of some friends), and he talked about how challenging Dayton would be because they have so many good shooters, including their bigs (Pierre in particular), and often work for corner or top of the key threes.

His response to this knowledge was to start Trey Porter who at this point in his young career seems incapable of getting out on shooters. Jenkins, while having plenty of faults is generally athletic enough to get out and defend the perimeter. Literally Dayton's first possession of the game Pierre got an open 3 in the corner and hit it. With his length all Trey would have to do is literally raise his arms while closing out on a shooter, but instead he always hedges a step too slow with his hands at his hips giving up wide open looks. In 30+ games nobody could have by now taught him to close out with his hands up?

I know this is one of a thousand examples of awful preparation of our players, but it's infuriating.

S

Saul Pewitt

Spectator
Nuh-Uh!!!

Plus, Hewitt's Ga Tech team beat that other guys team when they played. That proves he's the better coach. Brad Edwards, you need to re-up that contract. Can't you see the fans demand it!?

GMUSig03

All-Conference

I'm aware it's a tactic used by other coaches and I have been against it for years. What's better, having a player for 20 minutes, including the last few; or having him for 35 minutes and him fouling out with 2 mins left? Games aren't 3 pt contest where baskets count more towards the end. If Shevon plays the whole game, perhaps we aren't down 19 late in the second half and can actually attempt to win.

Hewitt is even dumber then the average coach given how poorly our teams play in the last 5 minutes of games, regardless of who is on the court. It would make sense to play your best player in order to build up as much as a lead as possible - only way we can hang on for wins in games with this coach.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm more concerned with how much we foul under Hewitt rather than his philosophy on when to take players out when they are in foul trouble. For the past four seasons, our players have committed a lot of dumb fouls due to bad fundamentals, stupid switches (which create mismatches) and just plain laziness.

I'm all for player accountability, but it's on the coaches when Copes is still falling for pump fakes in his senior year. :bricks: