Dick Vitale... from 2011...

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
There was nothing to be gained by the national sports writers to criticize the Hewitt hire. I am sure most were like some of us here, "WTF was Tom O'Connor thinking?" but did not write a column about it.

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
My brothers went to VT and from the start said that Hewitt was a bad hire. Says GT teams always looked organized and slow, could never win on the road, and always wound up pretty mediocre by the time conference play rolled around.

I remained optimistic and they told me I shouldn't be because Paul Hewitt is a bad coach. "He'll get good players, but they'll never develop" they said.

:slap:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

He sounds like you in 2011.

pot-kettle.jpg

psyclone

Hall of Famer
If you can show me the last time Vitale had anything bad to say about a coach or player in print.....it will be the first time Vitale has ever said anything bad about a player or coach in print...he just doesn't do it. No way he would have criticized the hire.

Agreed. Dickie V is more a cheerleader for NCAA basketball, not really an objective analyst.

KAOriginal

All-American
No one in the media was going to say it was a bad hire.....

With Hewitt...the devil was in the details. At Siena...he had 3 all time program greats playing at once. As Dickie V pointed out...he had some great NBA talent at GT. But what no one considers is....if he didnt have the NBA talent, how much worse would GT have been?

Just about anybody can coach a team with superior talent. Its what you can do with equal or subpar talent is where the true mettle of a coach is shown.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My brothers went to VT and from the start said that Hewitt was a bad hire. Says GT teams always looked organized and slow, could never win on the road, and always wound up pretty mediocre by the time conference play rolled around.

I remained optimistic and they told me I shouldn't be because Paul Hewitt is a bad coach. "He'll get good players, but they'll never develop" they said.

:slap:
If only the players didn't develop, we are seeing regression every year.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was optimistic as well. I wanted to give him time as any coach should get time. Year 1 was "good (although it didnt hit where I thought we should have been)", year 2 was "ok", year 3 was "bad". By the middle of year 3, I saw he wasn't the answer (after the USF game). And the final nail (after all the silly things already mentioned) for me was losing a guarantee game at home.