Coaching Carousel 2023

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Sounds like Maryland going to throw serious money to keep skinn. May end up with another out of touch nerd like Paulsen. If all else fails just give it to simpkins over another nerd that only coached nerds at nerd schools. Mason isn’t a Princeton or any of the liberal arts schools where Paulsen won with nerds, you can play that way and outsmart the other team if it’s the right school. They won’t get that type of kid at mason though.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not knowing all the state laws...I'm sure the job has to be posted....a list compiled for records and then a process followed to comply....and more than just making it look good on paper...esp without and AD....

But I'm also willing to bet....it won't be settled till late next week at earliest....
Pretty sure you’re gonna lose that bet

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Sounds like Maryland going to throw serious money to keep skinn. May end up with another out of touch nerd like Paulsen. If all else fails just give it to simpkins over another nerd that only coached nerds at nerd schools. Mason isn’t a Princeton or any of the liberal arts schools where Paulsen won with nerds, you can play that way and outsmart the other team if it’s the right school. They won’t get that type of kid at mason though.
If UMD wants to commit to paying an assistant coach north of $850k (just guessing that's the floor of what we'd pay Skinn) then I say let 'em.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
MD is not made of money and definitely has certain budgetary constraints even with the Big 10 TV money... I also don't trust what Hoops Weiss says re: Odom considering he's 100 years old. Maybe we inquired and he said "Nah, I'm good" and we moved on. That's not the same as offering.

If Tony turns us down to remain an assistant, well, that's a problem...

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
MD is not made of money and definitely has certain budgetary constraints even with the Big 10 TV money... I also don't trust what Hoops Weiss says re: Odom considering he's 100 years old. Maybe we inquired and he said "Nah, I'm good" and we moved on. That's not the same as offering.

If Tony turns us down to remain an assistant, well, that's a problem...
As someone who‘s a lot older than Ryan Odum (who’s actually 48), ”he’s 100 years old” hits close to home!

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
*sigh* ok, then:

Also close to home, Michael Huger, who played for L at Bowling Green, and was a star there, played internationally, then coached college under L for years before getting the gig at his alma mater, and proceeding to coach .500 ball for years and years before getting fired a couple of weeks ago.

Is that an apt enough comparison for you guys?

Maybe him being 44 when he was hired is HUGELY different than Skinn being 40 today, but I don't buy it.

So, I'll ask again, not that there's anything WRONG with Skinn, but are we REALLY sure he's the best candidate there is, to be trying to organize an influence campaign with the president of the university?

Feels pretty "small picture" to me.
We can’t be ‘sure’ of anything, but enough contemplation of the navel, let’s get Skinn on board and see what happens. If we F around long enough maybe we can get Ernie Nestor.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
They’re gonna have to go higher than $850,000 to keep Tony from taking the HC job at his alma mater. That’s not gonna get it done.
Just gonna hop in here and say Willard (and Maryland) are serious about keeping Tony. Also, you have to consider it from Tony's (or any other high paid assistant), stay at the school making a comparable BASE pay and maybe hold out for better jobs. Maryland can sweeten the pot with all sorts of other benefits Mason just can't that would make it even, easily.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just gonna hop in here and say Willard (and Maryland) are serious about keeping Tony. Also, you have to consider it from Tony's (or any other high paid assistant), stay at the school making a comparable BASE pay and maybe hold out for better jobs. Maryland can sweeten the pot with all sorts of other benefits Mason just can't that would make it even, easily.
Obviously, very premature, but then you’d have to go public that he turned it down or at least let it leak. There is no being quietly professional in that circumstance.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
from Twitter - dont know if it is true
View: https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops/status/1640342176524816384

Samurai Hoops
@samurai_hoops

Samurai Sources tell The Dojo… Craig Littlepage + CSA are handling the George Mason search

===
Littlepage was a star of Penn Basketball in the early 70's, the coached at Villanova, Penn, Yale, Ruthers and finally UVA. Then moved into various AD positions at UVA.
This is who is handling the AD search. Has been for months.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Of course they are serious about keeping him. All I’m saying is it’s gonna take more than $850,000 — based on what was offered to KE, Mason has the wherewithal to go higher than that.

I would think Tony knows if he passes on this job now, that door is closed for good. Despite Mason’s current challenges, can’t see him choosing to remain an assistant while waiting for some “better job” that may never come.

If he does, it won’t be for lack of effort by Mason … after losing KE, Dr W knows he needs to get this hire right — and being turned down by an alumnus/Final Four legend would be a terrible look.

Last edited:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t know enough about any of the coaches out there to comment with credibility, but I do want you all to know that I will be creating a hundred new accounts on here that each say things like “the only things we need to do are build a new state of the art arena and hire John Calipari.”

Masonfan3

Starter
from Twitter - dont know if it is true
View: https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops/status/1640342176524816384

Samurai Hoops
@samurai_hoops

Samurai Sources tell The Dojo… Craig Littlepage + CSA are handling the George Mason search

===
Littlepage was a star of Penn Basketball in the early 70's, the coached at Villanova, Penn, Yale, Ruthers and finally UVA. Then moved into various AD positions at UVA.
If Littlepage is leading this, we are in good hands. I mean, he did chair the tournament committee in 2006…