Changes coming to EagleBank Arena?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This is how the next phase of the core of FFX campus is being planned out - as I stated the original four buildings are going away to create a new main quad green area with a long green way down to the engineering building. New building shaded in light red.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
upload_2021-3-19_9-58-57.png

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It's the new health and human services building. Nice building, but f*ck would that plot look ugly with another building right behind it.

Just to be clear - most of these building is notional. The only solid discussions is the replacement of the original quad.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just to be clear - most of these building is notional. The only solid discussions is the replacement of the original quad.
In looking at the PDF, it seems there are two options. I don't think the "re imagined" one is particularly feasible for a multitude of reasons. On top of that, the school really needs to start expanding outward and leaving some green space in the middle of campus. Having an incredibly dense core that just immediately turns into a sea of surface parking would be such a weird vibe.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In looking at the PDF, it seems there are two options. I don't think the "re imagined" one is particularly feasible for a multitude of reasons. On top of that, the school really needs to start expanding outward and leaving some green space in the middle of campus. Having an incredibly dense core that just immediately turns into a sea of surface parking would be such a weird vibe.

If you look at the previous power points - the reimagined approach is what they are leaning too - if you look at it - there is more green space in the core center of campus. Keep in mind - not all of the proposed buildings will be added. There is another power point where they talk about expanding outwards and spreading everything out without making it hard to walk around.

There is anothter deck where they bring back the southwest plan for the empty space on the other side of the pond.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you look at the previous power points - the reimagined approach is what they are leaning too - if you look at it - there is more green space in the core center of campus. Keep in mind - not all of the proposed buildings will be added. There is another power point where they talk about expanding outwards and spreading everything out without making it hard to walk around.

There is another deck where they bring back the southwest plan for the empty space on the other side of the pond.
Yeah I mean obviously everything here is early stages and whatnot. But also like a quarter of that green space is on a steep incline which makes it kind of unusable as quad space. The powerpoint isn't topographical.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I don't know, I kind of liked the dense core...as someone who works at a sprawling campus, sometimes having to cross campus in less than 15 minutes so I can get to my next class, it's really annoying (I need a golf cart and the ability to run people over or something), especially when it's 112 outside.

When I was at Mason I kind of liked the fact that once I got on campus, it was a pretty easy walk from one side to the other.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know, I kind of liked the dense core...as someone who works at a sprawling campus, sometimes having to cross campus in less than 15 minutes so I can get to my next class, it's really annoying (I need a golf cart and the ability to run people over or something), especially when it's 112 outside.

When I was at Mason I kind of liked the fact that once I got on campus, it was a pretty easy walk from one side to the other.

Done well you can very easily have both density and plenty of green space. I’ve started nerding out on urban planning because of my job and find it to be fascinating.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Done well you can very easily have both density and plenty of green space. I’ve started nerding out on urban planning because of my job and find it to be fascinating.

That sounds like a cool interest - post more about that

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've also developed a weird fascination with it recently. Mason is OK looking, but with the amount of space there is to play with I feel like it could be better.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I've also developed a weird fascination with it recently. Mason is OK looking, but with the amount of space there is to play with I feel like it could be better.

Actually as they build it up - it has evolved well - there is a consistent design motive with things getting more spread out
as they remove old buildings.

it could be worse - we could be drexel

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Soooooo....now that we have a new head coach - and a solid and exciting one at that - I thought it would be worthwhile to revisit this topic.

I especially thought so since I just completed taking the youngest fruit of my loins on his college tours to where he has been accepted - GMU, JMU, Va Tech, Liberty, and Shenandoah. He is looking at pre-law or pre-med. While he was meeting with academic counselors - I spent my time asking directions from college co-eds and checking out the athletic facilities at each school. With a focus on basketball.

So. Tech's basketball facility is actually a bit below Mason's EBA. I even think's its older. JMU's new arena and Liberty's redone Vine center are outstanding. JMU's facility is new from the ground up and Liberty's Vine Center was redone at the bowl level and built around the existing structure.

After seeing those two facilities - I think Mason should invest in a new facility either gutting EBA to the core and rebuilding it altogether or building a new facility somewhere else on campus.

With a new coach we should announce a new initiative. Now that we have nice practice facility and new locker rooms - we should pull the trigger on Pat Dome 3.0.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Soooooo....now that we have a new head coach - and a solid and exciting one at that - I thought it would be worthwhile to revisit this topic.

I especially thought so since I just completed taking the youngest fruit of my loins on his college tours to where he has been accepted - GMU, JMU, Va Tech, Liberty, and Shenandoah. He is looking at pre-law or pre-med. While he was meeting with academic counselors - I spent my time asking directions from college co-eds and checking out the athletic facilities at each school. With a focus on basketball.

So. Tech's basketball facility is actually a bit below Mason's EBA. I even think's its older. JMU's new arena and Liberty's redone Vine center are outstanding. JMU's facility is new from the ground up and Liberty's Vine Center was redone at the bowl level and built around the existing structure.

After seeing those two facilities - I think Mason should invest in a new facility either gutting EBA to the core and rebuilding it altogether or building a new facility somewhere else on campus.

With a new coach we should announce a new initiative. Now that we have nice practice facility and new locker rooms - we should pull the trigger on Pat Dome 3.0.
I have a hard on for facilities probably more so than anyone on these boards, but I just can't see it happening absent some massive gift or state funding. It hasn't even been remotely mentioned which means at best it would be years away. Plus we just redid the locker rooms, so something tells me that rules out everything aside from the Robins Center route. Like I noted before, this school can't even fund a new outfield wall for baseball; a ~$120 mil renovation seems like a pipe dream.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I have a hard on for facilities probably more so than anyone on these boards, but I just can't see it happening absent some massive gift or state funding. It hasn't even been remotely mentioned which means at best it would be years away. Plus we just redid the locker rooms, so something tells me that rules out everything aside from the Robins Center route. Like I noted before, this school can't even fund a new outfield wall for baseball; a ~$120 mil renovation seems like a pipe dream.

Not be contrarian but money is about as close to free as possible right now (at least for institutions with excellent bond ratings) so once COVID is in the rear-view and operating revenues stabilize, there literally may never be a better time to bond out a replacement/renovation of the arena.

A reno would be tough to pull off, though, because in non-COVID times the arena is so busy ... closing it for 18 months might not be an option.